my face.. how to fix it? shadows make me look ancient.

moonkittenaid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You need to change your Windlight settings.   Scroll through until you find one that looks good on you.

More info here if you need it: 

https://www.slartist.com/windlight-getting-started_f3beaf8ee.html

OOPs I missed the "everyone else's faces look smooth". If it isn't your windlight (and that is pretty bad windlight LOL) then it may be that the folks you are seeing have MESH heads and not the default avatar heads.

I'd also suggest using a facelight or using an alternative windlight setting. The problem is that every user will see you slightly differently depending on their own windlight setting. Just keep that in mind.

If you go the route of using a facelight just make sure its not overly bright. Most of them are mod so you can adjust how much light they put out. That will resolve the issue you're having.

The problem isn't that you don't have a mesh head, it's that the SHAPE of the system head you are using coupled with your current windlight setting plus shadows, means you get shadows on the face in those deep canyone between mouth and cheeks.

Try decreasing the cheekbones by editing your shape, if the shape is no modify, get a pack of free 'standard sized shaped' from the MP (I think Absolut Creations might have one, since they invented standard sizing) and edit your self a new face.

If you go with a face light (singular, facelight kits that mean wearing more than one light are an abomination against common decency) you will need to learn to edit the light settings down a long long way, the majority of facelights still qualify as 10 m radius nuclear powered industrial work lights...

OK, every avatar in SL, regardless of if it wears a mesh body and head, or is a human or a dragon or a tiny airship, or a 7 m long killer whale, has FOUR thigs in common, that they all wear.

These are a:

system skin

system hair/eyebrow/hairbase

system eyes

system shape

This last one is the important one here, it determins the size of your body, length of arms and legs, shape of your non mesh nose etc.

So, here is a link to a pack of free full perm shapes on the marketplace in "Standard Sizes" which are an approximate SL standard for mesh clothing sizes, to make it easier to wear clothes without constant editing.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Shapes-Male-Female-Classic-Avatars-BOXED/9303366

Try on different sizes till you find one thats the sort of figure you want, don't worry if its taller or shorter than you like, concentrate on how curvy it is, or how chubby.

Once you find one you like, right click on your avatar and choose 'edit shape', theres a whole bunch of sliders that control most aspects of your system body and face, don't mess with the sliders for the standard body shaspe like breast size of body fat (theres only 8 sliders for a standard size compatibility) just ise ones like height, and the ones to edit your face, you can edit the face how you like, its quite similar to making a Sim in Sims-2/3/4 if you've ever played those. 

When you have made a face you like that doesn't look odd to you in the way the  shadows fall, and is the height you want, use the 'save as' button to save it as "my shape v 1.0". The version number is so you know which ofd your shapes you want to wear, because you almost certainly will make variations later.

If all else fails, IM me in world and I'll see if I still have a full perm XS sized shape with a decent face, that might be a good place for duplicating the FirstLife avatar in the picture you have posted on your forum profile.

Klytyna wrote:

Try decreasing the cheekbones by editing your shape, if the shape is no modify, get a pack of free 'standard sized shaped' from the MP (I think Absolut Creations might have one, since they invented standard sizing) and edit your self a new face.

Uh, nope; standard sizing was a joint enterprise by a number of merchants.  Absolut Creations wasn't one of them.

Pixieplumb Flanagan wrote:

Uh, nope; standard sizing was a joint enterprise by a number of merchants.  Absolut Creations wasn't one of them.

Useful to know, first time i ever saw 'standard sized' free shapes, when they were new, was at their store, when they had a dispenser for them and i'd not seen them anywhere else.

Klytyna wrote:

Useful to know, first time i ever saw 'standard sized' free shapes, when they were new, was at their store, when they had a dispenser for them and i'd not seen them anywhere else.

erm... you weren't born yet when that came out :)

the standard shape package was also distiributed by MP

it's still there https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search%5Bcategory_id%5D=&search%5Bmaturity_level%5D=GMA&search%5Bkeywords%5D=Standard+Sizing+Package+%28Male+%2B+Female%29

Alwin Alcott wrote:

Klytyna wrote:

erm... you weren't born yet when that came out
:)

Oh dear... Have I reached that stage in my Secondlife where I have to imitate Lastnamers and add a Profile Bumper Sticker that says:

"Not my first time in SL, I am older than I look"

Herpaderp...

Klytyna wrote:

Alwin Alcott wrote:

Klytyna wrote:

erm... you weren't born yet when that came out
:)

Oh dear... Have I reached that stage in my Secondlife where I have to imitate Lastnamers and add a Profile Bumper Sticker that says:

"Not my first time in SL, I am older than I look"

Herpaderp...

at least you kept your warm personality

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.