face light and body light problem

magickspell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

magickspell wrote:

I activate a face light and also I tried a body light and I don't see it make a difference on my screen. My friends see a difference on their screen.  What should I do to fix this problem? thanks in advance!

You are going to find that this is a hot button topic.

It's also a perfect example about how what you see on your screen may not be (and probably won't be) identical to what other's may see.

The problem with Facelights is that they can actually cause problems for other people around you.

People really need to learn how to use their Windlight settings.  In the long run it's simpler and will not negatively impact other people.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Ditch-the-Facelight/m-p/1575121/highlight/true#M20474

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Graphics-Settings-and-Facelight/m-p/1139619/highlight/true#M10553

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Others-Facelights-ruining-your-SL-experience/m-p/1609253/highlight/true#M21252

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Facelights-to-wear-or-not-to-wear/m-p/2004811/highlight/true#M32503

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/To-wear-a-facelight-or-not/m-p/2178533/highlight/true#M35955

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Facelights-and-Shadow-Rendering/m-p/1409925/highlight/true#M12813

As I said a hot button topic.  :D  :D   :D

First keep in mind that facelights are extremely disliked by a signifigant number of users (self included), because many of us will see this instead of what you hope for:

original_510078a2bcc100047d000001.jpg

Now... to fix things, you need to get into the graphics preferences, and make sure you have 'atmospheric shaders' on.

Also edit your actual facelight and tone down its lighting so the image I posted above is not you. To check for that, do this while having "Lighting and Shadows" turned on - this will let you see the worst your facelight could do, and so if you edit it here, and get it to not do the screenshots above, you'll be able to find your happy spot without ticking off anyone around you.

(and it looks like I need to update my preferences screenshots on my blog, I was going to put them here but noticed they're the older versions...)

With advanced lighting off the # of local lights is small. If you really have that off and the light looks good for your eyes you will most probably look like an ugly white blob for someone with high graphics settings.

Not for me - I don't see facelights at all. It's possible to switch everybodys lights off for yourself. Since I use that setting I don't have to mute or derender other avatars anymore. :D

Whatever you do - If you emit something it will have different effects on different avatars. (did I hear shared experience in the past? ha!) So choose wisely - or not - I don't care. :D

Coby Foden wrote:

magickspell wrote:

I activate a face light and ...

You do a great service to everybody if you don't wear any facelight at all. You really don't need it. Thanks.  :matte-motes-smile:

I've never used a facelight but I don't agree with the statement that "you don't need it" - especially males, because we don't wear lipstick. The problem is the lower lip that looks fine when editing the shape but is always unrealistically coloured (e.g. usually much too dark on my avatar) when not editing the shape, making the face look much worse than it did when editing it. Facelights can cure that. Windlight settings can't help because the face will look different to different people, and probably bad for most because I'd imagine that most of us use the default settings.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Facelights can cure that.

Unless...

• The region uses any other sky than midday
  • The observer has local lights disabled
  • The observer has attached lightsources disabled
  • There's other lights within the radius of the facelight
  • The wearer doesn't know how to balance light-attributes of an object within a scene
  • Anyone is using a subset of ATI Radeon cards (I can't remember which offhand, but several alter the light parameters)

Using a facelight is not a way to fix anything at all - it makes it more chaotic. There's no consistancy, you're much more likely to appear out of place (even if things look good to you). It's especially not a quick-fix that one can apply once and assume it works in all cases, which is typically how they're worn.

Lighting changes across time of day and between viewers/computers for all the reasons above and probably more. Adding luminosity (even when it can be seen) is probably the worst way to improve the problem you mention, because you're adding a lightsource - a necessarily very variable effect (it blends, mixes with other lights, spreads across walls, varies heavily based on system settings and adds a significant rendering cost) to the scene. The only reason facelights see this level of contention at all is because people believe they work as a quick-fix to 'iron out' problems with their shape or skin, and that's never been accurate when compared against the problems they introduce.

Better solutions would include tattoo layers (some guys aren't afraid of a little lippy) or alterations to your shape - both of these would be more consistant, even with variation between brightness levels or monitor//view settings. ;)

You're probably right in everything you wrote, but facelights can cure it in the avatar owner's eyes ;) They also have the desirable bonus of putting the user in the 'spotlight' on dark nights, as the ealier picture clearly shows :)

Over the years, I've tried alterations to the shape but without any success. It would help a bit if shape-edit had the option of using the actual lighting at the time as well as, or instead of, the flat lighting that it uses now, or even have several preset choices of lighting.

Phil Deakins wrote:

You're probably right in everything you wrote, but facelights can cure it in the avatar owner's eyes 
:)

Just wait 'til the Marketplace gets a whiff of my Miraculous Cure-All Triangle and Poly Removal Spray* and Advanced Vision Darkening System** (allows the user to imagine themselves exactly as they want to be!). Eleven guaranteed genuine doses for only $99.99.

*Not really

**It's a blindfold

Phil Deakins wrote:

LOL Good one!

ETA: If you weren't so quick to reply to posts, you'd be able to read everything that's posted; i.e. when the poster edits and adds to his/her post - like this one, and my previous one
:)

Thanks. :D

Oh, I did - despite the page jump. I keep an eye both forwards and backwards in threads I participate in (and gosh, I'm never quick to reply - I edit forever after posting). I agree with you, but realistically the best method will always be careful observation and a critical eye (for example, lighting and shape aspects will change with your AO animations/sit positions).

Don't just slap a facelight on it and call it done.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Don't just slap a facelight on it and call it done.

:) I don't, but I can understand those who do.

Im very much like you in that I'm forever editing my posts. usually it's just corrections, punctuation, capitalisation, typos and stuff like that, but often it's rephrasing, adding and removing. Unedited posts of mine are as rare as hens' teeth.

ETA: And this post is no exception lol.

Phil Deakins wrote:

It would help a bit if shape-edit had the option of using the actual lighting at the time as well as, or instead of, the flat lighting that it uses now,.

It does have that option. It's somewhere in preferences - you have to de-activate that thing where editing your appearance puts you in that 'editing appearance' pose. With that setting un-checked, nobody even knows you are editing your appearance if you do it in public*.

It does mean your avi continues using whatever AO you have, so you might want to use a pose stand when you edit.

I'm not able to check exactly where to find that just now but it is there because that's how I have it set!

*(edited to add - well at least I *think* nobody knows... but maybe to everyone else I've been going into that pose every time I feel the need to tweek my nose shape or something)

Phil Deakins wrote: [...] 
It would help a bit if shape-edit had the option of using the actual lighting at the time as well as, or instead of, the flat lighting that it uses now, or even have several preset choices of lighting.

The option to not use an additional light during appearance editing exists, by going to the Debug settings and setting the 'EditAppearanceLighting' parameter to 'FALSE'; some viewers may, as Firestorm does, make this option more easily available in their preferences.

Phil Deakins wrote:

It would help a bit if shape-edit had the option of using the actual lighting at the time as well as, or instead of, the flat lighting that it uses now, or even have several preset choices of lighting.

There are two ways to disable the additional edit appearance light in Linden Lab viewer:

When editing avatar's appearance:

To not to have it to go into a pose mode - from "Preferences, Move & View" do this:

• Unselect "Automatic position for: Appearance"

Then the avatar does not go into pose mode, and the additional light does not turn on.

If you want to keep the "Automatic position for: Appearance" selected (avatar goes into pose mode), then just enable: "Preferences, Graphics, Advanced Lighting Model".

Then the appearance edit light does not turn on.

I tested these two methods in Linden Lab viewer: Second Life 3.7.6 (289164) and it works as explained above.

[ETA]

In this viewer version I cannot find the debug setting "EditAppearanceLighting" at all what Ren Toxx mentioned.

Coby Foden wrote:

magickspell wrote:

You do a great service to everybody if you don't wear any facelight at all. You really don't need it. Thanks.  :matte-motes-smile:

I had no idea facelights were even still around!!!!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

magickspell wrote:

I had no idea facelights were even still around!!!!

Same as bling attire, hair that doesn't adapt to dark lightning settings, shoes that use the standart avatars feet or invisiprims....

Facelights were fine before windlight. Now, their main usefulness is for photographers to eliminate odd shadows. I have render attached lights unchecked so I don't see them even if someone is wearing them. With windlight, those around you probably don't have the same settings as you do.

One thng about lights of any kind is to remember that SL only renders 6 light sources at one time. So a facelight "steals" the light from surrounding lights. Nothing worse than seeing someone with a constellation of lights around them and only 6 random ones are actually providing light.

You're better off finding a windlight setting that gives you the look you want than using a facelight. As for the male bottom lip, some of that is the avi, some is how the skin is colored. Try different skins and see if that helps the problem. Also play with the lips sliders and see if that helps as well.

Facelights, as well as excessive bling, are seen as hallmarks of a new resident, just saying.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

One thng about lights of any kind is to remember that SL only renders 6 light sources at one time.

That limitation applies only when Advanced Lighting Model is off. With Advanced Lighting Model on there is no limitation how many lights the viewer renders.

(What you say about facelights, I do agree.) :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.