What NOT to wear

Marcus Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am constantly amazed at how people leave the house and present themselves in public nowadays in the real world.  Some can't even be bothered to shower and wash their hair!  

And so as I travel around this wonderful world of Second Life, I am even MORE astounded at those who just attach something and have no care whether it's right or not.  I'll give you an example:

Today, I went to one of my normal hangouts, and there was this dude there who was a complete wreck.  He was wearing a pair of glasses, and the left side of those glasses were tilted up into his forehead.  His prim chest hair was hovering out from his body about three feet, he was wearing a females prim pregnancy belly which was this really pale white, while his avatar skin was very tan, and it was WAY too small for his gigantic body!

He was old enough to know better than all that mess, too. 

So I ask you...is the carelessness we see out in the world every day making its way into SL as well?  Are we going to start seeing avatars walking around in shorts with a catheter bag strapped to their legs? (I saw that last summer in a doughnut shop!  Dude walked in wearing shorts, and here was a catheter bag strapped around his leg just full of urine for all the world to see!)

So here's a tip, folks:  When you attach something, swing your camera around, zoom in on it and inspect its fit from all angles.  If it is tilted wrong, or hovering off your body, fix it.  Have a care.  You can be as beautiful as you want in this marvelous world.  You just have to double check things once in a while.

I have gone around inworld wearing some of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen...I have no regrets ;)

But then...I don't much care what others think about what I wear, so there's that.

As for wearing a medical device of some sort out in public, I see nothing wrong with that. I've gotten a lot of flack for my kid wearing her medical devices, at varying times throughout her still somewhat young life, from others. It annoyed me, frustrated me, angered me, and saddened me, at one time. Now, I just laugh at folks who point, stare, make fun, and think they get to decide what she can and cannot wear out in public ;)

A little advice from someone who has also been on the receiving end of those stares, finger points and judgmental commentary from the peanut gallery....no one gives a crap if you want to see it or not, nor do they care if you think it is taboo. For some folks, it's merely an extension of their body, albeit often temporary. Give folks a break, it takes a bit of courage to leave the house knowing that others are going to take issue with it. Having to leave the house with medical equipment, isn't much of a picnic to begin with,  just be grateful you don't have to, and keep moving along about your day. It's no longer cool to pick on folks less medically fortunate than yourself. Times, they are a changin' ;)

LlazarusLlong wrote:

My God! It's the Fashion Police.

[i am currently serving a three month ban for inworld wearing checks with stripes.]

Those who banned you for that are just so completely ignorant about what real fashion is. Mix matching patterns has never been so trendy. You'd make a blast on my side of the Channel! :-)

img-2417.jpg

People don't have to be beautiful in Second Life - otherwise there wouldn't be any decompsoing zombie or giant gorrilla avatars here.  But I sort of see what the original poster means - people who are probably trying to look good, or at least properly put-together, but they get it wrong.  You see this with buildings too, especially on mainland, where someone appears to have taken some trouble to make what was intended to be a nice home, but they lacked the skills to do it properly.

Marcus Hancroft wrote: [...] Today, I went to one of my normal hangouts, and there was this dude there who was a complete wreck.  He was wearing a pair of glasses, and the left side of those glasses were tilted up into his forehead.  His prim chest hair was hovering out from his body about three feet, he was wearing a females prim pregnancy belly which was this really pale white, while his avatar skin was very tan, and it was WAY too small for his gigantic body! [...]

Only thing left for him to wear would’ve been a big, fat “I WANT TO CATCH YOUR ATTENTION” banner over his head.

Didn’t seem to need it, though.

Tari Landar wrote:

I have gone around inworld wearing some of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen...I have no regrets
;)

But then...I don't much care what others think about what I wear, so there's that.

As for wearing a medical device of some sort out in public, I see nothing wrong with that. I've gotten a lot of flack for my kid wearing her medical devices, at varying times throughout her still somewhat young life, from others. It annoyed me, frustrated me, angered me, and saddened me, at one time. Now, I just laugh at folks who point, stare, make fun, and think they get to decide what she can and cannot wear out in public
;)

A little advice from someone who has also been on the receiving end of those stares, finger points and judgmental commentary from the peanut gallery....no one gives a crap if you want to see it or not, nor do they care if you think it is taboo. For some folks, it's merely an extension of their body, albeit often temporary. Give folks a break, it takes a bit of courage to leave the house knowing that others are going to take issue with it. Having to leave the house with medical equipment, isn't much of a picnic to begin with,  just be grateful you don't have to, and keep moving along about your day. It's no longer cool to pick on folks less medically fortunate than yourself. Times, they are a changin'
;)

Howdy, Miss Tari,

I have absolutely no problem with people wearing medical devices out in public.  Heck, I work in a nursing facility where a lot of my residents have catheters, colostomy bags, oxygen, and all manner of things to help them go on living.  However, there are things to help make those devices discreet.  The fella in the doughnut shop?  He could have wore long pants.  Nobody needs to see his urine sloshing around in a clear bag strapped to his leg.  Especially in an eating establishment.  No, he only walked out of his house like that to garner sympthy.  I would never point and snicker at anyone who had to wear a medical device.   

I knew, before I even started this thread, that I was gonna get the "It's the fashion police" posts.  People saying that this is SL and people can be and do whatever they want, and...the rest.  My whole point to this thread was to try to show, in a few words, what can happen if one doesn't take a few minutes when they change cloithes to inspect how things are attached.  If my post helps one new person, then all the flack is worth it.

valerie Inshan wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

My God! It's the Fashion Police.

[i am currently serving a three month ban for inworld wearing checks with stripes.]

Those who banned you for that are just so completely ignorant about what real fashion is. Mix matching patterns has never been so trendy. You'd make a blast on my side of the Channel! :-)

img-2417.jpg

If that's how you're dressing in Paris I think I'll stick this side of La Manche.

(And none of those patterns are actually checks, so the designers are still conforming!)

[Actually Val, I think your medical prosthetic devices are quite attractive. The spectacles, I mean.]

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

The fella in the doughnut shop?  He could have wore long pants.  Nobody needs to see his urine sloshing around in a clear bag strapped to his leg.  Especially in an eating establishment.  No, he only walked out of his house like that to garner sympthy.

Sure he only wanted sympathy?  Or maybe he wanted to feel like everyone else, choosing his own clothing of choice to suit the weather.  Maybe he was beyone embarrassement and wanted to be normal.

I understand the SL side of the sentiment but the cross over to RL... hmm dodgy.  The same gets said about women breast feeding babies in restaurants by using the perfect product yet the "Ewww, take that away, nobody wants to see that!" does then to rub people up the wrong way.

Everyone else is eating, why can't baby?!

Tolerance all round is the key.

You know, you saying that old man left the house wearing shorts was his way of garnering sympathy shows your lack of care or intelligence.  Why should that man have to wear pants just because his illness and device makes YOU uncomfortable?  Why should he tailor his dress to make YOU happy?  I highly doubt he walked into his closet at home and was like.."Hmm, how can I garner sympathy today?  Oh yeah, shorts, that ought to do it."  Perhaps wearing pants is uncomfortable with the device, perhaps it was hot and he wanted to feel as comfortable as he could.  FFS, he has to wear that bag, he doesn't choose to so he probably just wants to be as comfortable as he can and there you are judging him.  The fact that you say you work in a nursing facility makes me feel sorry for your patients.

You see what it is like for them to go through what they do on a daily basis.  The fact that their entire life changes, their body turns on them, they no longer can do 99% of what they used to be able to and then they have to put up with a**holes like you being judgemental over what you think should and shouldn't be worn/done, when they are just trying to get by day by day comfortably and without being made to feel ashamed.

And as to how avatars look in SL, you really don't have a lot of room to talk.  Your avatar isn't exactly runway model hot and borders on being laughable.  You look about as realistic as a cartoon.  Why don't you go change how you look so you don't offend others that spend a small fortune to look as realistic as possible?  Wait, you shouldn't have to should you, because it is YOUR avatar. 

If you don't like how someone looks in SL it is so easy to fix, just derender them and go on about your Second Life instead of being the judgemental a*s hat that thinks you are better than everyone else and everyone should change to suit you.  People like you are what give SL and it's inhabitants a bad name.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.