The method of your madness?

SabaothMastema

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do you obtain your ideal appearance while keeping ease of use and versatility?
For me I keep things simple as possible. Due to being an avid roleplayer I prefer to keep the same face and body to keep the character consistent. To do that while having appropriate costume changes I decided to stick with a system body and rely upon alpha layers. Because of that I am loosely compatible with the wide portion of attachments and clothing available on the market.

I reserve the option of mesh body parts for when I have a set look and can just replace parts without breaking.

What is your method of creating your second you?

Rarely change skin and/or shape (it hasn't changed since, ummm, 2010, I think? Maybe?...don't know, somewhere around there, lol.) The same applies to hair. 

Always wear the same couple of outfits, never shop for new ones. I haven't changed my outfit in sl, in at least two years, probably 3 or 4. Never change shoes, assuming I have any on at all. 

My method is..."find something you like and rarely, if ever, change it"  :D

Usually I am a modern human so I don't change skin or general shape.  I always use the same color long hair and just change the style appropriate to what I wear, like I do in RL (long hair there too).  

I need a varied style of dress for my different activities, such as business, casual, club and formal.   Although I don't save outfits because I always mix and match differently all the time, I know my wearable inventory well and can change very quickly without much fuss.  Sometimes I need to change from casual to business for example in less than five minutes to go to a client meeting.  A well organized inventory is the key for that.

My wearables are organized in my inventory by style then general type and then subtypes.  Some subtypes have subtypes of their own too.  I will change the names of most folders or add to them so I can remember what the stuff inside looks like at a glance.  

I do wear mostly mesh and if I need a slightly tweaked shape for it I keep the shape in the folder with the clothing.  I have a mesh body too, but have learned the alpha HUD for it well and can alter the parts that should be alpha'd out or made visible very fast.

The exception being clothes I have for going places that require a certain period or style of dress and/or a different type of avatar.  I don't roleplay much but I do think it's only polite to have the appropriate look for where I am when I visit places or explore.  Those I keep in their own folders as complete avatars so I can just dump the folder on me to change very fast.  I then have my standard modern human avatar so I can change back quickly too.

When I buy or make something new I always take the time to put it in my inventory where it belongs and re-label the folder.  

Tari Landar wrote:

Rarely change skin and/or shape (it hasn't changed since, ummm, 2010, I think? Maybe?...don't know, somewhere around there, lol.) The same applies to hair. 

Always wear the same couple of outfits, never shop for new ones. I haven't changed my outfit in sl, in at least two years, probably 3 or 4. Never change shoes, assuming I have any on at all. 

My method is..."find something you like and rarely, if ever, change it"  
:D

Same here! 

I've adopted the same method for managing my look in SL as I use in RL, which is to do as little as possible. Back in my RL 20s, I found a pair of pumps I really liked and were comfy enough to wear through a work day. I bought two dozen pair in a rainbow of colors. I'm now 46 and still wearing those shoes. Rolig has put the worrybug in my ear, noting that our feet gain a size or two as we squish 'em through the years. So far, so good. In SL, I wear the same sandals (I bought the rainbow pack) almost all the time.

The last time I bought clothing in SL was at the dawn of mesh and I have exactly one mesh item in my wardrobe. Most of the rest of what I wear was purchased from a business that closed in 2010, and sold everything for L$25 or less. That instantly made everything look pretty good on me. I wear a skin I modified from a free template found on the web, to which I've added moles in the shape of my favorite constellations (Orion, Seven Sisters, Big Dipper). I've worn the same short hairstyle since finding it many years ago. Eventually I'll wear it that way in RL, after another cycle or two of growing it long and cutting it for cancer kids.

As in RL, I mix and match from my smallish wardrobe to make what I need. Knowing 24 pairs of the same shoe would eventually grow old, I also purchased two dozen shoe clips, flowers, bows and sparklies, in various colors. I have hundreds of combinations to chose from. 

I do have one new outfit, purchased for me by Parhelion...

I've been wearing that for months.

Surprisingly, the ARC for me(left, 108K) is greater than for Snugs (right for once, 106K. Shoes from Dillon).

ETA: Good grief, half that Devil's ARC is in the trident. Someone's being lazy.

SabaothMastema wrote:

How do you obtain your ideal appearance while keeping ease of use and versatility?

For me I keep things simple as possible. Due to being an avid roleplayer I prefer to keep the same face and body to keep the character consistent. To do that while having appropriate costume changes I decided to stick with a system body and rely upon alpha layers. Because of that I am loosely compatible with the wide portion of attachments and clothing available on the market.

I reserve the option of mesh body parts for when I have a set look and can just replace parts without breaking.

What is your method of creating your second you?

I take the opposite approach to most of the posters here. I have multiple accounts and each one may at any given time be playing one of several different characters within each account, with many of the characters having multiple ages. Each of these characters may have a number of outfits for various situations and times of year.

I use the outfit panel system because it allows me to instantly change all of the various attributes for each character.

Most accounts/characters use default bodies set to correspond to mesh standard sizes. A few accounts use mesh bodies, mostly because my conception of them doesn't fit in a standard size and the mesh body will let me give them that shape.

I change major aspects of a character like their skin only when I find something that better reflects my internal conception of that character, especially because many of them were started with discount parts and the more important ones eventually get upgrades as they're used more often.

Read some blog about an event and teleport there to buy stuff

Give up to find it or buy it

Read some blog and see some great thing

Buy stuff

Try on tons of stuff

Groan and find out I don't have more time

Log off

Forget what I bought in #1 and buy more stuff

etc

I'm not far from Marianne's version.

See a new pair of boots in a group notice.  Buy the boots and build a look around that. Buy more clothes or hair as needed to fit the outfit.

I like mesh heads for the reason you can change your expression with a click.  My system shapes had a few tweaks for happy, serious and domineering looks.

As for ease of use, you get used to it.  If I feel lie a cowgirl I know where I need to start.  If I want to be sex metal Barbie I can do that to.  I am learning to keep my inventory organized and trimmed even with all the looks I want to be able to change into.

I also use a system avatar, I found one not long after I started just over a year ago that is "me" and I have stuck with it, added over time. Various tattoos and piercings to complete the look, my hair changes frequently every two or three days on average, my outfits usually change a few times everyday, you have to have the right outfit for the sim you are in.

I have been playing Secondlife for 3 years and have tried on probably thousands of demos, wasted hundres of hours of my time, and spent countless amounts of Linden on garbage pixels that I never used because there wasn't a demo offered. About a year ago I finally found a look I was satisfied with. I was stubborn and determined. None of the changes I made were drastic but gradual over time. I never buy anything anymore if there isn't a Demo. As far as I can tell, all good designers offer Demos for their items. If they won't offer a Demo it's because it won't look good and they want you to buy it anyway. Overall, it's trial and error. Do an inworld search for clothing, skins, or shapes. Look for the store with the most visitors, get a demo, try it on, delete demo, buy item or not, repeat. I spend a lot of time online at the marketplace too. If you see an avatar that has a look you like, most people don't mind telling you the name or where they bought it if you ask. The Womenstuff group offers a lot of notifications on sales and group gifts from various vendors and has been very helpful as well in finding good clothing & stuff. 

I change outfits (keeping skin and shape) several times a day, depending on mood, sim and circumstances. I shop almost entirely through events now, visiting over 30 regular ones every month.

And while my inventory is orderly, I rarely rely on it for changes.

Right after buying a new piece of clothing I always put at least one outfit together and safe it, so no item slips my mind. I save a copy of my mesh body for every outfit, so I dont have to deal with, for example, changing alphas - the same for other mesh body parts or different color versions of a recolor piece. Changing has to be just one click, no alpha HUD or anything (Except during fitting I dont wear any HUDs, since I also use the Firestorm build-in AO functionality).

Inventory-wise I organize in a few categories, but not too deep as I find stuff easier through existing outfits, when I later want to make a mix-and-match one.

HaHaHaHa... [that is my manic laughter, in case you didn't realise].... your madness is nothing !

I am 6 weeks into SL now, and my goal is a completely new outfit a day, 7 days a week, with a maximum spend of 25 linden + what ever I can scrape together dancing.
I spend about and hour a day searching for "Group gifts" "group freebies" "special offers" etc. a day. Another hour or 2 is spent making tattoos and clothes to go with my most precious find of the day to make an outfit. Then another hour to put it all together, add jewelery and panache.

I use 4 body shapes and 2 heads, so ears, earrings, vaginas and assholes all fit without editing [once they have been fitted to the 5 shapes obviously] and I look better every day. If not I don't leave the sandbox.

Come say hi inworld if you want, I'll show you my madness...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.