Stiff hands and fingers?

Myranua Eichel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This has happend many times before and most times it just eventually goes away, but what makes your AV's hands go all spread open with stiff fingers?  A lot of times it happens during photo shoots. Im getting married tomorrow and with my prim nails it will be even worse if it happens and I want to know how to fix it.  In fact Im standing in my house right now doing nothing and they are like that.

When an animation is uploaded into Second Life, you can select the position of the hands. Is it possible that one of your animations was accidentally uploaded with hands spread wide as the selection for this setting?

Turn off your AO then run each animation locally to see if one or more in particular cause that effect. (You can double-click the animations from your inventory if they're located there, but you might need to move them into Inventory from the AO to test them locally. If they are No Copy animations, just remember to put them BACK in the AO when done.)

Hmm .. yup, that would argue against the animation as the problem.

Then the next most logical step is the age-old "Clear Cache, Log Out, Log In" fix to see if that fixes it. It's possible something in the local copy of the animations got "bent" .. and a clear / log / log should download a new copy and fix that.

Myranua Eichel wrote:

...hands were fine one minutes then when I adjusted the ball up a little and got back on, hands were messed up.

Chances are the above is actually what caused it. Sometimes animations are uploaded without a specific hand posture, so when you run them you still might have the hand pose from any previous animation that was run (if it wasn't overridden by another one). If you had just edited the poseballs position, and the default hand posture for editing on object (with the dotted beams pointing to the object being edited) would indeed be the spread hand with stiff fingers, then jumping on the poseball would not have changed the stiff hand posture to something else if that particular animation didn't include one. The editing hand would remain, and it's not uncommon for this or even the whole straight arm and hand that goes with editing something to stick. All one has to do is run another animation from your inventory, one that has a hand pose specified in it (and most should..) before you hop on that poseball and your hand should be fixed for the photos.

That might happen when you have been posing for a while, or even using some furniture, I use a few trick that sometimes work

I press stop animating my avatar , i do this a few times in a row

I turn off and on my AO

I try pressing to edit something, no matter what, the point of this, is to make your hand try to point somewhere and sometimes makes the finger go normal again, I find this works most of the time in my avatar

or I use a cache cleaner, or one of those thing that you find sometimes in photo studios to fix deformation

Anyway, some of them work, most of the time, if nothing works, I log off and in again, and thats it

This is a problem that has existed since day one of SL. I think there are several JIRA's for the issue. As has been said above, it is possible to set spread fingers as the hand position on upload of animations, but it does happen randomly as well.

When it happens randomly, and in error, it is actually really easy to fix; Simply play a different animation in world that has a 'fist' hand position set. That's it. Alternatively, you can turn off your AO and wait until your avi stands with his/her hand(s) on the hips. The hand-on-hip default animation has at least one hand set to 'fist', and that's all it takes. Problem gone until the next time. Sometimes, though, you will have to relog to fix the problem.

I have an animation with 'fists' that I made. If anybody wants it, IM me.

- Luc -

• 5 months later...

This is really one of the core issues that's been haunted me for eternity as well, for as long I can remember (a couple of years), I've had issues with my hands going retarded all the time on a daily basis.. It's really getting on my nerves and I can't comprehend how a bug like this can avoid being fixed.

I mean most of the time my hands are bugged, it's a nice change when they actually look normal. >.<

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.