Shoe base and foot shape problem

Deltango Vale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, I don't use mesh.

Has something changed in SL regarding foot shapes and/or shoe bases? I have worn prim shoes for many years without a problem. Now, for some reason, wearing a shoe base, the heels of my feet no longer fit within the heels of my shoes. The heels of my feet stick out, like a wedge, as if my shoes were way too small.

I have not changed the size of my feet in 10 years.

All my shoes with heels, from all merchants, have this problem.

I have cleared cache and rebaked my character (female test).

I am not accidentally wearing anything else on my feet, just the base and one shoe on each foot.

Any ideas?

ETA: heels, not heals. Note to self: get more sleep..

Deltango Vale wrote:

First, I don't use mesh.

Has something changed in SL regarding foot shapes and/or shoe bases? I have worn prim shoes for many years without a problem. Now, for some reason, wearing a shoe base, the heals of my feet no longer fit within the heals of my shoes. The heals of my feet stick out, like a wedge, as if my shoes were way too small.

I have not changed the size of my feet in 10 years.

All my shoes with heals, from all merchants, have this problem.

I have cleared cache and rebaked my character (female test).

I am not accidentally wearing anything else on my feet, just the base and one shoe on each foot.

Any ideas?

Have you started using Advanced Lighting Model in your graphics settings? Invisiprims aren't supported under Advanced Lighting and no longer hide the underlying foot shape when it's enabled. Most shoes that used invisiprims can be salvaged by using an alpha layer to hide the foot instead. You can also turn Advanced Lighting off, but bear in mind that many people will be seeing your feet the way you see them now.

It could be one of two things. 

1.) You need an alpha layer to hide the parts of you feet that stick through. I don't know when the last time you logged in was before now, but invisiprims are no longer a common thing for shoes and without an alpha layer to hide the specific parts of the feet sticking through, you'll have this issue.

2.) No one uses the system feet anymore. Hell, very few even use the system avatar anymore. Most people opt for mesh bodies and mesh feet. I don't know a single designer who still makes shoes for the default/system feet. Invest in a set of the Slink mesh feet since that's the standard now and everyone makes shoes for those instead. They're always the same size, and they're rigged, so shoes will always fit. Sometimes if the shoes you buy aren't rigged, you may need to wear the shoe base with it but that's about as far as it goes with fitting issues with Slink mesh feet. There are three heel heights you can buy, and there's a fourth bonus one if you buy the pack that includes all of them.

Deltango Vale wrote:

@ Theresa and Alwin

Many thanks for the information. Any idea why invisiprims are no longer supported?

I found an alpha layer among my shoe collection that seems to work for all heels.

Invisiprims have not been supported for...years (3 or 4 at least, I think). Back then Linden Lab made updates to the viewer and graphics, which broke the invisiprims. LL didn't care about that, because that those prims worked, was more of a bug, then a feature and alpha layers were already a thing and pretty common.

You are basically now seeing your feet/shoes like anybody else already saw them for years.

(And even when invisiprims broke: Shoes that used the standart avatars feet were already something you just found newbies fresh from the freebie places wearing around)

You will perhaps find the answer here; https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Why-did-LL-break-invisi-prims/td-p/1016645

Wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Invisiprim

One small information: You can find lots of alpha layers free or cheap on the market place. But you can also collect alpha layers from shoes and boots demos. The alpha layers has no watermark. You can look at a shoe design that is close to your old shoe, and try to purchase the demo.

Disclaimer: This only works if the shoe designer has included both legs in the alpha mask. Unlike the arms who has one arm template, there is a left and a right leg.

Deltango Vale wrote:

@ Theresa and Alwin

Many thanks for the information. Any idea why invisiprims are no longer supported?

I found an alpha layer among my shoe collection that seems to work for all heels.

Jade Glazner wrote:

Hell, very few even use the system
anymore. Most people opt for mesh bodies and mesh feet

thats not quite true. Is way more system bodies inworld than mesh bodies. You are more right about feet tho. Slink and slink-compatible feet dominant now for new mesh shoes for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Technically invisiprims were never supported.  They are an exploit object kinda like megaprims.  At one point someone discovered the alpha glitch in the Second LIfe matrix and invisiprims were created.  When advanced lighting came along the exploit was exposed.  And as discovered an appropriate 'alpha' is now needed to be worn on the base avatar to hide body parts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.