Set of "Standard Size" Mesh shapes?

Aria Repine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posting this question here, and in the 'your avatar' section of the forum (as i wasnt sure which would fit it better).

But.. Any Rigged Mesh designers out there know were i can get my hands on some free/demo shapes that match the "Standard Sizing" thing you guys are useing to make the newer Mesh outfits? (so that they all fit the same =P).

Im thinking about tweaking my Avi's shape so she can fit a specific size in that 'standard' grouping that is being used alot lately.  Would be easier if i had a copy of whatever template shapes it is you guys are useing to make the rigged mesh outfits with.

So... any pointers on were to find them? Or anyone have a set they can give out?

Thanks for any reply's

Yea, i was able to fit almost everything with only minor changes (like breast boyancy), but i kept getitng 'gaps' at the hips and rear... and no ammount of tinkering would fix it.  Decided to just find the templates and do the slight tweaking it needed heh.

Was interesting, my normal shape (pre-template fix) had me wearing S tops, and XS bottoms :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

I suspect you'll find that standard sizes are, in fact, anything but, and vary from designer to designer.

I've given up using them as anything other than a general indication of size.  That is, I know that my normal shape is reasonably close to designer A's "Medium", designer B's "Small" and designer C's "Extra Small".    If necessary, and if I like the designer's work enough to make it seem likely I'll buy several pieces, I tweak my normal shape a little bit and save it as "Designer A Medium" or "Designer B Small" or whatever.   That has the great advantage that I don't have to spend ages redoing the face, which I would have to do on a completely new shape.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I suspect you'll find that standard sizes are, in fact, anything but, and vary from designer to designer.

Well yea.. some designers you have to do that.  But there's 4 stores i get mesh outfits from that all use the same templates that were linked in this thread.  So they all fit the same.

I agree sizes depend on designers, but it is true I have to always tweak mine a little depending on what I use, I sometimes keep a shape for pants and a shape for dresses, as I prefer my dress shape to have more hips, and my pants shapes to be smaller, but it all depends on how you like to do it

Aria Repine wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Well yea.. some designers you have to do that.  But there's 4 stores i get mesh outfits from that all use the same templates that were linked in this thread.  So they all fit the same.

That's good that they do.   Certainly though, some of my favourite stores' mesh clothes quite simply do not fit any of the standard size shapes they purport to be.     

That doesn't worry me; I would still, I think, rather adjust my own shape to fit the mesh that's the closest size, rather than use a standard size shape and then change the face to match my own, since that's far less work.

That's what I like about the shapes available on the marketplace. I didn't even have to "buy" the shapes and try to figure it out myself, or clutter up my inventory with stuff I'd never use just to get the shape values; they have them right on that marketplace page, a full list of important values for all 5 standard sizes for both genders. I just copied and pasted those to a notecard for ease of access, then looked at my avatar shape and chose the values for the closest size, adjusting my avatar shape to the mesh "standards."

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I've given up using them as anything other than a general indication of size.

Almost -ALL- of the shops that use the standard sizes plan do it right. I've only found a few that fail on it.

That said, there -IS- a competing standard out there, from a template maker, who puts out 4 sizes (the standard sizes are a set of 5), but does -NOT- put out their shape numbers...

- This can cause confusion, but look for the standard sizes logo.

See also my blog article on what numbers do or don't matter in seeing if you can fit to one of them:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/mesh-clothes-dont-care-if-youre-tall-or-short-thick-or-thin-they-care-about-stretch/

Also, I have made a set of shapes for the standard sizes that are -ALSO- proportionate. The ones in the kit are horridly disfigured, but fortunately only on all of the dials -NOT- used for the sizes... so I was able to fix them. :)

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Aria Repine wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

That's good that they do.   Certainly though, some of my favourite stores' mesh clothes quite simply do not fit any of the standard size shapes they purport to be.     

That doesn't worry me; I would still, I think, rather adjust my own shape to fit the mesh that's the closest size, rather than use a standard size shape and then change the face to match my own, since that's far less work.

Yea there's still a time or two i have to make minor adjustments (usualy its only my breast-boyancy, which is something no mesh designer, even with templates, can account for).  But thats just a minor change.

As for using a standard size shape.  The 'adjustments' for the standard size group only adjust 8, out of the... 70? shape adjustments.  Most of it dealing specifically with .... for lack of a better term.. 'fat'.  How thick your avi is.  So asside from putting on a pound or two or takeing off a pound or two.. there really isnt much in the way of 'changing the face'.  As you can edit everything else just as much as you want and still fit the clothes in the Standard Sizing group.

I basicaly kept my normal shape, and just eddited the 8 numbers the notecard said.  Didnt have to change anything else.  And if anything, it actualy made my avi look a bit more evenly porportioned :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: Even when i only had to change any of those 8 numbers for 2-4 points.

Aria Repine wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yea there's still a time or two i have to make minor adjustments (usualy its only my breast-boyancy, which is something no mesh designer, even with templates, can account for).  But thats just a minor change.

If you have breasts in RL - or have sufficiently handled them; you might know that they move when you clamp things onto them. :P

Cleavage, bouyancy, and even size are -ALL- settings that should change with outfit. The standard sizes set to breasts size, though they -should- ignore this within a slight range downard to account for tighter outfits.

Also, to the person you quoted... the standard sizes effect a -LOT LESS- dials than that person seems to think. If you look at the list (on my blog and the standard sizes blog), its a fairly tight list - ONLY those things not affected by rigging and not (other than a few) affected by clothing squeeze.

I think people may be misunderstanding what I said.

To clarify, it seems to me a lot less work to some minor tweaks to my existing shape to get it to fit into a standard size mesh item than it does to get a standard size shape from the marketplace and tweak the however many sliders it is that make up my face.

As you rightly point out, there's only a few settings I need to adjust to get my shape to fit the nearest standard size.   There's the best part of 100 I need to adjust to get a shape from the marketplace to have my face.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

To clarify, it seems to me a lot less work to some minor tweaks to my existing shape to get it to fit into a standard size mesh item than it does to get a standard size shape from the marketplace and tweak the however many sliders it is that make up my face.

As you rightly point out, there's only a few settings I need to adjust to get my shape to fit the nearest standard size.   There's the best part of 100 I need to adjust to get a shape from the marketplace to have my face.

Yes on this I agree.

Especially as the list of dials that standard sizes effects is not that many. Most people, once they find the standard size closest to them, can take those dials and add them to a copy of their shape and still look nearly the same as they did before.

Which is the better choice for another reason as well. The actual shapes they hand out as the "standard sizes" on all of the -other- dials that don't count are horridly disfigured.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If you have breasts in RL - or have sufficiently handled them; you might know that they move when you clamp things onto them.
:P

Yea.. mine move a bit in RL heh. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

I just meant, that seems to be the one thing ive had to edit a few times to get mesh outfits to fit. As nomater what you set the brest-size to, if the boyancy is to much or to little, it'll glitch threw, or cause a gap to show up.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Think i need to clarify myself a bit as well =)

I wasnt going to use the 'shapes' in the linked Standard Sizing to build off of, i was looking for the numbers 'in' those shapes that i needed to copy myself onto my own shape i alerady have made (which are the 8 shown in the notecard and in the description).  I wasnt gonna try building my shape off the blanks that come with the Standard Sizing thing =)  That'd be waaaay to much work hehe.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.