Selling second hand hair

AbigailKD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I decided to start all over on SL. New name, new ava, nothing from my old one, even if it was transfer, I kept. 

Now after a while I started missing some hairs I used to have for years, and started looking for them. Those hairs were Transfer, didn't keep them, but I was very sure they were given to me for free.

So after looking on SL, remembering some places were I got them from (boxed, lot of hair in them), after that I had a look on MarketPlace. Here I see the same hairs, free to get all over SL, being sold for sometimes 99 Linden or even more.

I am not going to sell the ones I found again, thinking that will not be fair, but is it allowed for people to find free hairs somewere in SL, and sell them for so much Linden??? Is that fair to new people on SL, who maybe buy a few from the MP, while the shopowner must know these are normally free?

Just wondering ( a lot )

Abigail

if you have hair that is transfer/no copy it's mostly no problem nor ethical wrong to resell it.

When it's full perms it's often different, depends on the agreement you have with the creator, if under license it will be limited.

Lot of things by new resident/young residents on MP is illegal and /or copied. LL does not take action against those before the original creator takes actions.

So when you see relatively cheap but very high quality things... be warned you might get illegal stuff ... in special also in skins this is often the case, see a brand name on a non brand related story name ....skip it.

Thanks for the answer. 

It still doesn't seem fair to me to let people pay so much for these hairs, and they are really no high quality. It's all pre-mesh, and some of them look really really bad :-)

I will try to find out how many are transfer/no copy. Thinking about putting them on MP for 0 linden, just to help people. Not everybody wants or can spend money on SL.

Can anybody direct me toa  site to find out more of Full perm, Copy and more about this? 

sadly a lot of those huge boxes of hair that float around between new people are filled with cobybotted (stolen) hair from fairly popular shops. Of course those boxes are mainly not mesh hair and pretty much all 7+ years old at this point, but still. Sad that a) they were ever out there and b) that people actually sell them.

AbigailKD wrote:

Selling them I can agree with. Because people got them for free. But how  can I know if the ones I have are copybotted? Is there a site? A place in SL? I Googled it, but can't find anything really usefull

If it's the collection of hair I'm thinking of (or fairly similar), some of it will have the name of the original designer's company as part of the object name even though it was copybotted. Go to "Object Profile" or edit it - if the creator isn't the avatar name associated with that store it's almost certainly copybotted. Most of the avatar names listed as creators on commonly circulated copybotted hair will have blank profiles saying "This profile is not available" as they have been kicked out of Second Life by now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.