Returning after 9 years and all files are unusable

DeRiso Slade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems like there could be a lot of possibilities after nine years :D.

Did you try choosing a new avatar from the library?  Avatar > Choose Avatar (in Firestorm). I think there is a button on the side in the Linden viewer and sure it is obvious in the menu.

You could also go to Avatar Health and Reset your avatar to the default.

Good luck. Sure there will be other suggestions.

First thing to do is try a new shape.

There are 4 things you must have before SL can render an avatar, skin, shape, hairbase and eyes.  Of those the one that is most often bad after time away is shape.  I don't know why.

Pull something up from the library or just pick another from the Appearance tool.

And welcome back.  Everything is so different from 9 years ago but it is still the same :)

DeRiso Slade wrote:

Hello, I'm back after a 9 year abscence and have found that I'm unable to use my files. I have no body, clothes, etc. When I try to wear something nothing happens. Do I need to start from scratch, and if so, where do I go to find a body? Thanks!

Several years ago (but less than 9 years) Second Life started using a folder on the servers called the "Current Outfit" folder to keep track of people's appearances. It used to be sent by the viewer but that caused issues so it is now kept on the servers.

If you haven't logged in for 9 years your current outfit folder may be empty or not contain all the necessary parts. Try changing to a default avatar just to get something set up on the server and then change pieces of your outfit as you see fit.

DeRiso Slade wrote:

Hello, I'm back after a 9 year abscence and have found that I'm unable to use my files. I have no body, clothes, etc. When I try to wear something nothing happens. Do I need to start from scratch, and if so, where do I go to find a body? Thanks!

Nine years. Wow, you've got me beat. I just came back in after being gone since '08 only to find Kazami North was gone (my home sim), almost everywhere I used to go was gone so now I end up tp'ing to the bottom of the ocean half the time, and almost none of my gear still fits, most annoyingly my shoes and boots!

I miss 2007. Can I get a WayBackMachine ride to Festival Island, GOL3, Caribbean Breezes, and that year's version of Ethereal Teal just once? Pretty please?!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.