Need Help On Issue With CATWA Head And Rezology Hair

MariQuattrocchi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I am having an issue with the hair on my avatar as it seems to be layering itself in front of my mesh head. I admit that I do not know what the actual issue is, but this seems to be more of what my problem is. I'm trying to describe it as best as I can.

I had decided to update my avatar to mesh after a long time. I looked around to see what the best accessories would be for my avatar and settled on the Maritreya body and the CATWA head. I plan on buying different hairstyles from different venders but chose a Rezology hair sytle to be the primary hair that I would buy. However, as soon as I got the hair, my problem arose. When I applied the hair to my CATWA head, there appeared a very noticable bald line on my forehead.

http://i.imgur.com/BLACWh2

Whenever I highlight my hair though, the bald line disappears and looks just how I want it to.

http://imgur.com/kKUNJhG

The problem is that the black hairline underneath my Rezology hair is from the CATWA head itself and I need that hairline. My avi just does not look good without it. Another issue is that I am unable to resize or reposition my hair to go underneath the hairline. It's rigged mesh.

Whenever I press the "mask" button on the CATWA avatar. The bald line disappears, but the hairline is also replaced by just nothing but a black spot. This also does not look good.

http://imgur.com/l5xtvqa

(Note that on the CATWA HUD, the button on the right is on "Mask" while the button on image 1 was on "Blend")

I got a few demos of hairs from other brands to see if the problem persists and it seems like it does. These images I took are of me wearing a Truth hairstyle demo, though the issue isn't as visible.

http://i.imgur.com/DagRFod

And of course when I highlight the hair, the problem is fixed only temporarily.

http://imgur.com/ZeQk5yt

The problem isn't only limited to Firestorm. I can still see the bald spot on the default Second Life viewer as well. I can only assume that other people can see it too. The problem goes away whenever I highlight the hair, but it just goes back to having that line whenever I teleport, sit on poseballs, change my facial expression etc. I've tried everything and cannot find a solution. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

2 things. FIrst, is the hair fitmesh? If so, try making your default head size larger or smaller and see if that fixes the problem. It should be invisible so it's not going to show. Next, be sure you have an actual hairbase turned on on the Catwa head. If the color you actually need isn't in the defaults on the head, go to the Catwa store and straight in to the counter. There's a gift there of appliers for all the Catwa colors.

Good luck.

You can't really fix this problm, it's alpha fighting.

If the hairs you are wearing use textures with alpha around the hairline and the hairbase texture uses alpha set to alpha blending, you are going to get alpha fighting like this.

The "fix" is to set either the hair or hairbase texture to alpha masking, but this is likely to give bad results.

The mask option for the Catwa hairbases don't let you set a mask cutoff so you will just get a solid looking hairbase.

It's an old OpenGL problem & it affects all content in SL, it isn't specific to Catwa heads.

• 5 months later...
On 17.10.2016 at 1:52 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

You can't really fix this problm, it's alpha fighting.

If the hairs you are wearing use textures with alpha around the hairline and the hairbase texture uses alpha set to alpha blending, you are going to get alpha fighting like this.

The "fix" is to set either the hair or hairbase texture to alpha masking, but this is likely to give bad results.

The mask option for the Catwa hairbases don't let you set a mask cutoff so you will just get a solid looking hairbase.

It's an old OpenGL problem & it affects all content in SL, it isn't specific to Catwa heads.

Yes, but it does not have to be that noticeable. Your mileage may vary. Setting the Alpha mask cutoff to a value over 90 usually helps. I picked a hair with some thin loose strands over the chest to illustrate. The loss in fine details in the texture is more an issue in closeups.

For those who haven't edited before, I put in an image of where you find the tabs in the edit window. First choose Alpha masking, mask cutoff start on zero and edit that. You can play with different values. Remember to make a copy first. In my experience, I have trouble going back to Alpha blending. I don't know why.

Edited to add: If your hair is no modify, there is nothing you can do with this alpha issue. >:( You will see no texture in the edit window and all the options are locked.

Alpha blendingAlpha masking.jpg

Alpha cutoff.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
adding
  • Like 2

and what about hair that is no mod?? A friend of mine ran into this alpha glitch issue. It could be alteast fixed (as prescibed by the catwa site) by editing the hair alpha mode. Seriously , why are people selling no mod mesh anyways? you can't rip mesh and you can't change the hair essentially( other than the texture) if it is rigged anyways. Demoing does not good in many cases whereas many Demo's are no mod because they are a limited preview item.

I don't buy no mod hair although there's far too many creators that make no mod hair and that wouldn't stop someone copybotting it if they could so I don't understand the reasoning for all the no mod mesh. I was told as a creator to make my items no mod to stop people taking scripts out so maybe that's why?

There is a function in LSL that will specifically return the event if a script is removed or placed into an object by anyone other than the intended creator via key and through e-mail (i've written my own for custom skin appliers). Creators could could also script or ask their scripter to add a self tamper proof feature to where if the script is removed it becomes redundant and is deleted upon removal/ reuse in other objects. what might be a better solution is to offer variants though of the hair atleast one withe the original masking components, and then another without. (of course leaving a more solid look , but atleast no alpha conflict).

but in short, yeah that Hair vs.  Alpha anomaly drives me batty too.

9 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

and what about hair that is no mod?? A friend of mine ran into this alpha glitch issue. It could be alteast fixed (as prescibed by the catwa site) by editing the hair alpha mode. Seriously , why are people selling no mod mesh anyways? you can't rip mesh and you can't change the hair essentially( other than the texture) if it is rigged anyways. Demoing does not good in many cases whereas many Demo's are no mod because they are a limited preview item.

It is not possible to control 100% that hair are modify before buying. Because some creators mark it as modify and argue: "It has a resizer so you can modify it" blah blah. But I always look for a free hair in a New To Me store. If the free hair is modify, I can hope that their other hair is modify too.

Edited by Marianne Little

• 9 months later...
5 minutes ago, JudiLynn India said:

Little Bones doesn't have resizing, tho. Even with the large, my hair still shows the alpha masking on my scalp.

The Little bones hairs I have are RIGGED mesh so cannot be resized when worn anyway, even if they are 'mod'.

The only rigged hairs that can cope with bento head size are bento rigged fitmesh hairs.

"Large" sizes in rigged hairs usually refers to boob size, so the hair doesn't stab into your boobies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.