Need Advice; Dressing a "Boi" Avatar

Ellen Cordeaux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Forumites!

I have a good friend who is creating a female alt and is wanting to create the androgynous "boi" appearance.  She normally runs a male avi (she is actually very andro in RL) and is very comfortable with that; but is at a loss as to where to shop, mostly for clothing, to create an androgynous female (boi) avatar.

Btw, she already knows where to go for hair.  It's mostly about clothing.  Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

I'd have though that kind of avatar would have a huge range of options in clothing, although I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking for. I'm guessing at casual clothing, and avoiding 'girly' and glamorous looks? Any stores that catered to the 'grungy neko' craze would probably work, and maybe some Japanese stores, once you get away from the lolita & princess stuff.

I'd certainly not discount dressing a female av in men's clothes for that kind of look, although sizing for mesh items would likely be messed up.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Dirty Lynx and Bare Rose (the range is huge enough that you'd find something... maybe in the male store?) and... more to follow as I think them up.

Gizza (looking at the men's freebies, they have a kind of adrogynous style).

I have a couple of things from a shop that defines itself as andro, but I just can NOT remember the name right now. If you'll send me an IM I will take a look next time I'm inworld—I know I still have a top from there. Don't know if they're still in business but I heard them mentioned not all that long ago so there's a good chance they are.

I just was inworld and for a wonder I remembered I was going to look this up, even without getting IM'd about it. The store is still going and still in the same location: my TP, which is at least two years old, took me there. The store is called Excess and the tagline is 'Androgyne Style'. It looks even bigger than I remembered it. Clothes, avatars, hair, probably more.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/eXceSs/134/125/45

She might want to check out Hell Bop, also. Mostly retro but also very stylish men's clothing that work for both male and female. I joined the special group they have to get everything in the whole store for one price and wear the men's clothes all the time. They're generally very well done.

• 4 years later...

Hi There I just set up this kind of avi a few days ago, I was/am having the same problem as your friend. I think :)

My issue tends to be that all the tops that I like have (relatively) huge breasts.

So I got this: 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/V-Tech-Boi-Flat-Chest-Mod-For-Maitreya-Mesh-Body-V22/10055283

and a Maitreya Lara so with those I have alphas for my entire body, and I can wear damn near anything :)

to get the skin right you will want to go here and check out their v-tech appliers:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/20845

I know this isnt exactly what you asked for but I hope it helps :)

My name in SL is Echo Lune (Grimlune) feel free to im me in world Id love to try to help :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

@Grimlune Thank you for this link! I saw it mentioned in one of my groups but hadn't had a chance to go look for it. I love that it is Omega compatible so I can use the skins I have. *happy dance*

its sooo good I spent so many hours trying to find a solution and now I'm soooooooooooo happy :)

can I ask what group it is? 

I'm fairly new and haven't been able to find any good ones yet :( 

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i seriously hope they found something by now

this thread was DEAD for 4 years ...

Well fuuuu......

Can't believe I didn't see that ....

Sorry...

*Runs and buries his face in the shame corner*

Pffffft people have been necroposting all over this shiny new software. I guarantee you won't be the last and you helped me find something *I* was looking for. You're not only a necromancer but you're a psychic as well!

=~.^=

Edited by Clover Jinx
  • Like 1

A (female) friend of mine (JonaWebster Resident) played an androgyn teenager for a long time -  back then she mostly wore Jeans, DocMartens and wide sweaters or tshirts, had short hair, and used to act very tomboyish. Her back-then best friend even used to wear a self-made tshirt reading "Jona's not my BOYfriend" on its front. :D

I need to ask her next time we're both inworld which shape she used, and where she bought her clothes back then..I do remember though that her hair used to be a dark brown version of "Natalie" from a shop named "sWEET HAIRs sWEET FACEs", because I'm wearing a blonde version of the same hair when not wearing my hood.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.