My shape gender changed unexpectedly

Dul Machin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a classic avatar shape, not a purchased one. I have been a male for 10 years. Tonight after a crash and relog, my shape changed from male to female. Changing it back in Appearance didn't help and the change would not stick, even after Saving As ... I cleared cache, relogged, changed sims, etc. .... but nothing worked.

Luckily I had an older copy of my shape that was still male and it only took some minor modification to get it back to how I want it. 

But I am wondering how this happened to begin with and if there is something I can do to fix it if it happens again.

Thanks!

The only experience I've had with this is what we used to call Ruthied.  In Firestorm viewer there's avatar health under Avatar in the upper menu. Find and click on  'reset default male avatar'  to get the basic male avatar and then re-dress with shape, skin, clothes, hair, eyes ect.  I couldn't find that command on the SL viewer but it's probably in the knowledge base under help.   I hope that helps you.  

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know how to get the basic male shape back again. But that means starting over and I was wondering more what caused this and if there is a way to make my current shape male again without having to modify every appearance detail from scratch. I do appreciate you taking the time. :-)

Dul Machin wrote:

But that means starting over and ........... without having to modify every appearance detail from scratch.

no thats where "outfits" are for, you only need to save it.

To be sure always save a copy of your shape... if that gets corrupted the only thing you have to do it wear that.

Dul Machin wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know how to get the basic male shape back again. But that means starting over and I was wondering more what caused this and if there is a way to make my current shape male again without having to modify every appearance detail from scratch. I do appreciate you taking the time. :-)

If you edit your shape, at the top of the editing panel there will be "buttons" with the male "Mars' shield" and female "Venus' mirror" next to them. Clicking these buttons will change a modifiable shape from male to female and back while maintaining the values the sliders are at. If your shape ONLY changed from male to female this will do what you want.

However, it's possible the entire shape became corrupt and it's giving you a female shape because that's the default new shape.

Cool. I didn't notice these buttons at the top of the editing panel. Next login, I'll check them out. There were a couple of buttons below the list of body parts and clothing that said Male and Female but changing that to the male didn't stick nor did it change the options. Even with Male selected, I had female breast options. But you are probably right about the shape being corrupted. I am glad I had a good copy. Thanks for your help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.