My avatar is always floating in the air

Robin23 Dagostino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need to fix this and hope that some nice soul out here can tell me what is wrong with my avatar. I would like to know how to solve that.

Regardless of the surface, the sim or whatever my avatar is always walking in the air. Even when barefoot the avatar walks a few inches from the ground, about an ankles height over the floor. See the picture below for better appreciation of the problem.

LegShort_001.jpg

Thanks to Autumn and all the time she dedicated to this problem with me in a public sandbox we managed to identify the problem.

Going back to the default avatars brings the feet back to where they belong, alas, as ugly as they are. However, as soon as some mesh feet were added together with an alpha, then the whole avatar shifted up and the feet were off the ground. For what i think I understand, the mesh feet with alpha layer combinations or perhaps with prims cause this problem.

I was able to try the Tip Toe Mesh Feet from Meli Imako and with those the toes were touching the ground. But as soon as I swtiched them for some prim feet or even mesh feet then I was flying again.

Now I have to go to sleep :( me & my bf are going on a long trip in a few hours and I don't want to sleep while travelling :)

It was her brand of mesh feet that were the issue.  I had to leave before I could see a nice heel on her avi.  I hope once she gets a different set, it all works out for her.  I don't know if SL's viewer has the "reset to default female avatar" like Firestorm does, so I just had her go into her library and choose to wear one of the ones from there.  (I must say, the pirate one isn't too bad for clothing!)  I don't believe she was aware she could "add" alpha layers, so its possible she could have had conflicting alphas from the mesh feet, then wearing a pair of heels over top as well.  We shall see what happens when she gets back from her trip.  Fingers crossed!  

~A

Me too.
And a possible answer:
The problem is, to get rid of the default Linden feet, it is necessary to cover them,
especially when the avatar has digitigrade legs & feet.
The sole of the default foot is the touch point, everything below that would disappear
in the ground. To prevent that, the default foot is covered with an alpha part/prim
and the new foot/shoe/paw is placed atop of that, leaving a more or less visible gap.
A certain amount of alpha thickness around the default foot is necessary to prevent
bleedthrough while walking.

The girl in the pic doesn't have the default feet, so it is the same problem,
the need to cover up the default feet.

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.