Multiple Viewers & Netflix Streaming

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I'm still relatively new to Second Life - (4 weeks) Please be patient!

I purchased an HD TV from the Second Life MarketPlace. The TV cost only $10L but is capable of streaming Netflix among other video sources. I'm on the most recent Apple OS for the Mac with Adobe Flash also installed.

Question 1: When Netflix appears on the new TV, where I had signed into my Netflix account (directly on the TV screen) and I logged into my Netflix homepage. However, if I select a movie to watch, I get a player error - "Netflix Video Player Unavailable. We are having trouble playing Netflix on your browser. Please make sure you have an official version of Chrome." 

I believe I have Google Chrome's most recent update on my computer as a separate application. Any idea what I should do to make Netflix work?

Question 2: Other TV channels (video streaming) work fine. However - only I can see them. Of I have another viewer watching the screen, they see a white screen.

However, one guest was able to access the TV and we both could watch YouTube music channels. (I don't know what she did that allowed the TV video to be visible to both of us). Any ideas on how I can adjust the TV for multiple viewers to watch? (This may be a "Permissions / Sharing" edit, I am guessing). 

Thank You for any help!

James

Inworld media is presented using the Chromium engine, but it's not likely to be considered an 'offical' Chrome browser.  If anything, Netflix is protecting itself from edge-cases which could be percieved as theft.  Not saying anything has been stolen, but much like most janky 'Digital Rights' solutions, this could be what's preventing you from watching it.

Note that SL isn't relying on any other installations of browsers.  The Chromium code is built-in.  So, updating other apps shouldn't affect SL's browser performance.

As for others being able to access media controls, there are some properties in the texture tab when selecting the face used as the browser.  You'll find options for browser bar visibility, access and such.  (^_^)y

Thank you for the quick response!

Do you know if anyone in SL has been able to access Netflix videos (I have a real subscription, the TV recognizes my name and password and I enter my personalized home page - the problem is the actual playback - which generates the error screen)?

Also, for those web-streaming sites like YouTube, which do work, do you know how to edit the TV to allow multiple viewers to be able to watch simultaneously?

Thank You, Much Appreciated!

James

Media in SL is widely misunderstood to be coming through the SL servers. In reality all that a sim gives the client is the URL. The SL client establishes the connection to the media server, the media server starts the stream, and the SL client displays/plays the media. Video looks like it's playing in SL, but it's just in the SL client. That's why each person has to start the video for themselves.

Netflix is careful about allowing streams to only go to viewers they approve, so I doubt you could stream Netflix to SL. Even if they did allow it you'd have to log into Netflix to get access to their site & to start playing a movie. If someone else tried it on your TV they'd get the Netflix login screen and have to log in on their own account. If you shared your account information (very unwise) so you and others could watch a movie then Netflix would detect too many streams associated with your account and shut some down until only the number allowed for your account are playing.

• 2 years later...

I found the easiest way for all of this is through a site called [MODERATOR EDIT: Link to 3rd party site removed] so you can stream Netflix, AND if both peiple log into it on the same tv, they can watch together. You are welcome.

Edited by Dakota Linden
MODERATOR EDIT: 3rd party links removed

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.