Mesh hair problems.

RiiCassidy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so i'm not new to secondlife, but i'm not old either.

I just started trying to use mesh, ever since i got a new computer rich renders things in really high quality.(At least compared to my old computer), And I can go into clubs without crashing tons of times. (depends)

So anyway, I tried to avoid using mesh items, except furnitures or houses. I heard about the horrible mesh storys and over grown them. So I finally bought some mesh hair today and it was floating above me head atleast 6 inches, and not even directly above my head.

1. How can i fit this mesh hair on my hair ?(Its a rigged mesh)

2. Alpha layers came with it, what would they most likely cover if i put them on ? (It was atleast 3 and i don't want a high script count/ too many attachments.)

I mean mesh shows really good in my viewer, its just that hair, does not like me and i have the average sized head size.

3. If theres a place I need to attach it, where should it be or leave it be ? (I was thinking skull, but for how high it was floating, i started to think chin.)

Thank you lovely fellow SL forum members!

is it staying up there or did you put it on see it way up there then take it off right away?

what will happen with me is i'll put my hair on..then it will sit above my head until it is finished loading..then will sit in the right spot..

i haven't had to use the alpha layer yet myself...alpha layers won't mess with script count since they are a texture layer and not a script..

they pretty much are meant to cover your scalp mostly..

you could try it and it may fix the problem with it being up so high..if not you could take it right back off like any layer..

i always use the add option rather than just wear..this way nothing else gets moved while messing with stuff..

RiiCassidy wrote:

I guess I took it off kind of quickly, but then again i had it on for atleast 3-5 minutes, when my mesh furniture loads up a bit faster. I'll try it again.

Thanks for the responses !

ya my mesh furniture loads up pretty fast also..

i think it has less to load..

what i've noticed with the hair is..when i first put a style on..it will sit up there or off to the side sometimes and load..but only that one time..

then i could try any of the others in say a fat pack? they will all load right away..it's just getting the mesh itself cached i guess..

this may not even be the case with your hair..

this is just something i noticed with the designer that i was using the other day..

you may have to put the alpha layer on for some..

i think a lot of things with mesh will come down to how well it is made and if we have to go about different ways of wearing it between designers..

some may require us to wear the alpha..where some may not..

let us know how it turned out..and also like Lindal had said..a photo would be a real help to see what it is actually doing as well =)

The attachment point is irrelevant for positioning rigged mesh; it *should* snap to it's correct position as soon as it's attached. I have seen a short delay with this. My hair often appears above my head (and rotated 90 degrees), but it shows in the correct position after no more than a couple of seconds. I've seen other igged mesh do the same... a pair of boots I have are especially comical as they appear about 10 times their normal size for a couple of seconds before settling. 

I thought that this was all there was to it, until recently, when I saw someone dancing with a rigged mesh style floating above her head. It stayed like that (to my view) all night, although she saw it normally. Some of us saw it normally, others saw it floating. So it looks like it's another classic SL issue, and what you see on your screen might be nothing like what others see. I'm guessing some kind of server lag?

Regarding alpha masks... with hair, they usually blank out part of the skull, and sometimes ears, depending on the hairstyle. They won't affect script count, and I don't think they cause significant lag in any other way.

RiiCassidy wrote:

1. How can i fit this mesh hair on my hair ?(Its a rigged mesh)

3. If theres a place I need to attach it, where should it be or leave it be ? (I was thinking skull, but for how high it was floating, i started to think chin.)

1. You cannot fit rigged mesh hair.  It is what it is.  Cannot change its size, cannot  move it, cannot rotate it.  It just sits where the designer has put it.

3. You can attach rigged items on any attachment point and still the rigged item does not move anywhere.  It stays in the place where it was designed to.  So for example you can attach rigged mesh mesh hair on your foot (for example).  Does it appear then on your foot?  No it doesn't; it will still appear there where the designer has put it.  You can try this, attach the hair in different attachment points and you will see that it does not move anywhere.

So only thing what you can do is to try on different sizes of the hair - if the designer has provided different sizes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.