Mesh bodies vs reguler shapes

Christin73

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A friend of mine has been trying to get me to try a mesh shae for weeks. Finnaly the other night i tried the free mesh shape from mesh project. Here is my take on it. First off it seems like wearing any other mesh clothing to put the shape on. The customisation was nice with the hud, but I found out that in order to wear cloths you have to have a hud for clothing. The mesh shape basicly goes over your reguler shape. My question is what makes mesh so desirable and so pricy?

Pricy is because of the work involved to create it. Desirable is more personal, I have looked at a lot of them and have decided to pass.

If you spend a lot of time without clothing then it could be a good move, but if your going to cover it with clothing, why go to the expense and trouble.
Demo bodies I have tried I have not been able to get my head on without lines around my neck, I think its because of my old skin that there are no appliers for. So that is another thing to think about, new skin to go with the new body. And clothing may need to be purchased that is made only for the body you buy, another expense.
If you have the money, and the time to fool with it, then it could be fun, but from what I have seen they are a lot of work with not enough return for the expense, but that could be just me, others think they are “the cats pajamas”.

Hello, as said; if you buy mesh-body and skin then finalize it with mesh-hands -head -feat .... and throw away most of your wardrobe because you cannot wear again, mesh looks very nice.

For me, as a male, it´s simply not worth the money and work ;-)

Monti

Oh and not to forget: "Soon" project Bento is out on the grid, that means all new mesh bodies will come to marketplace

Personally I exclusively use system shapes and skin. Read that as non mesh. This is because of how easy it is to use. You don't have to worry 90% of the time about compatibility issues. Liberal use of alpha layers properly applied gives you more to work with than a mesh body does.

I have a mesh body that I bought after buying a lot of mesh clothes.  Most mesh bodies will respond to shape sliders.  In my case I didn't use the shape that came with the body but kept my own shape.  As a result I'm able to wear just about all the mesh clothes I already had.  Of course I can't use any of the system clothes I have, but I wasn't wearing them much anymore anyway.

Be cautious though.  Be sure the body you pick doesn't state that you have to use special clothes made for it.  That can not only be a big extra expense, but you probably will have a very limited selection.

First, you picked tmp, the oldest and most unpopular body at the market. The Maitreya body gives you an alpha Hud to turn off parts of the body. Like a pair of shorts where the butt goes through, you turn off those parts. And still have nice knees. Try the Maitreya with some clothes demos fron Blueberry, Burberry not sure of spelling. On 1page in apparel and womens in the MP. Mesh bodies is not needed in SL at all. But have you counted the numerous beach sims? I, for one, prefer to not go burkini style. That means showing off the body. Perfect shaped breasts. Butt that smooth and round even when bent. Better knees. Ankles, wrists and shoulders. Perfect hands and feet with perfect mani and pedi. For price, the tmp is not only the oldest, but the most expensive. If yo want to compare more bodies, meshbodyaddicts.com have reviews and tutorials.

A mesh body is not just a shape.

I rarely use a HUD for clothes. I wear clothes especially made for my body and make use of my alpha options for everything else. I never want to get back to a standart body, if I can avoid it.

hi

Good question sure. I stll dont see much sense in using these bodies. And well, as once someone said: if you use more time naked then maybe you prefer mesh body. But if you wear clothes, then it has not much any adantage, More disadvantages as we seen in clothe industry.  Classic clothes work without any additional work on classic body but mesh bodies always mess.  It neeeds appliers and to make appliers for all mesh bodies , its no sense when there is hundreds of different bodies and al havw also different system.

And another thing. It is creator who should make clothes to (even those created before mesh)  work on all bodies. But I would say: Creator of mesh body should make all clothes to work with their body. But guess what they answer if say so.. "impossible":.yes..

Mesh clothes dont need mesh body as too many maybe think. Only maybe if mesh clothe is made exclusively for certain body. But in that case that clothe is even worse option, it work only with that body.

Mesh is mess. unfortunately

Have fun, dont mess

But its only my half cents

ONE reason to go to a mesh body from this time and into the future is that many to most of the top designers of clothes for women are now ONLY making their things for the popular mesh bodies (typically Maitreya, Slink and Belleza). These are fitmesh made for those specific bodies so you can use your own shape (you may want to tweek it a bit depending on the body used).

If you are into fashion, photography, film, or getting naked a lot, then a mesh body is important. Many role play folks simply ignore those that are not "updated" so that fits into the mix.

It all depends on what you are doing in SL and how much you identify with your avatar.

If you don't get a mesh body you will likely still need to get Slink feet as there are almost NO shoes now that are not at least for SLink (older) or the mesh bodies.

Eh, I've been content to continue using a standard system avatar, simply because it works best for me. Truthfully, I haven't found a male mesh body on the MP that is androgynous enough to suit my tastes, and doesn't make me look like a buff bodybuilder on 'roids. :smileylol: 

For your male body, try Signature or Story Leaf. They are more androgynous

As for mesh bodies, first and foremost, be sure they are Omega compatible. That's important for some skin appliers. TMP has a major problem in that you have to use their style hud and installers for it. 

You want Slink, Belleza or Maitreya. Tonic is also up and coming. All but Slink include their own hands and feet though only the Tonic is Slink compatible for shoes. 

The biggest advantage of mesh bodies is that it corrects problems with the SL mesh, and yes, your default avi is mesh. Take a look at it in wireframe.

They didn't include enough polygons along the curves, like the breasts, tush, calves, etc. If you look, you'll see points. The elbows are almost like triangles on the default mesh where they are smoother on the default. Even at just 50 on the sliders for the breast area, you start to see sharp peaks stick out. I have some examples on my blog, here https://itsallaboutthatmesh.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/mesh-body-basics/

You can use applier clothing, which work similar to system clothing and actually uses the same templates. The applier clothing on mesh bodies looks smoother rather than a sharp point at the calf, for instance.

You have to decide what you want. Demo, demo, demo and be sure that the skin you like fits the body you choose.

The most popular mesh bodies are compatible with the Omega system (Slink was an exception, last time I looked). And I like the way clothing layers look when applied to the layers of a mesh avatar, rather than painted on tight with the default avatars. The clothing layer of my Maitriya, and most others, lets an applied bikini actually look like a bikini.

There are a bunch of good opinions & advice on this thread.

I think the choice to wear a mesh body or not comes down to a few factors:

1. Will your avatar be naked, in beach clothes, or modeling for pictures? Then to look your best, you'll need the smoother, more realistic lines of a mesh body.

2. Do you have a slower computer or graphics card? Do you go to laggy sims? Then mesh might load too slowly to be practical for you.

3. Are you able to comfortably spend $ 10 to $ 20 on your avatar's appearance? If you can, then you can afford a mesh body. If you can't, then probably the only mesh body you can afford is the TMP freebie, which is extremely limited for clothing.

By the way, you *can* wear standard mesh clothing on mesh bodies & fitted mesh made for specific bodies on standard bodies. If you wear a Maitreya, Belleza or Slink dress on your regular body, for instance, you'll need an alpha layer that works for that dress, which could be problematic. I wish more creators would include alpha layers for standard mesh with fitted mesh, so people with standard bodies can still wear these clothes. To wear any mesh clothes on your mesh body, just use the alpha cuts from your mesh body's HUD.

If you do decide to get a mesh body, you don't have to wear it all the time. If you do, label your clothing folders so you know which outfits work for your mesh body. For instance, I add "- M* " to mine to indicate that they work with my Maitreya Lara body, either as mesh or as applier layer clothing.

Here's a recent blog post I made on the subject, with pictures of my mesh bodies.

I'm staying with my system shape for the time being.  I'd got myself just right and mesh doesn't really offer enough for me to be tempted to make the change.  I'm skinny rather than curvy so 'system' suits me fine.  Mesh does offfer finer detailing and smoother joint articulation, I accept that, but mesh doesn't necessarily mean more realistic overall proportions, as a visit to any SL club will demonstrate!   At a busy club mesh avatars take longer to rez fully and if they are wearing 'system' clothes by means of appliers, they take the longest of all to rez.  I'm not against mesh, I have mesh hair, clothes and shoes, but there's just not enough to tempt me to go 100% 'mesh' yet!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.