Mesh Frankenstein! Lolas, Phat Azz, Slink

Tianna Burnstein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!  Hope I am in the right area.  I have created a monster and need a little guidance perfecting her.

So umm, I have this friend who thought it would be awesome to compliment her Lolas with SLink hands and Phat Azz.  It took a bit of tinkering but everything matched pretty well.  A little separation between at the waist, but I think that is a normal thing with Phat Azz if you zoom in.

So I... She needs shoes and decided to get SLink feet as well.  Certainly the SL equivalent to Courtney Stoddard or any celebrity addicted to plastic surgery!  Her issue is, she cannot find a good shade, or a good size combo to make the SLink feet work with the Phat Azz shapes.  There is separation at the ankle, and the attachments are either too big, or too small when using them together.

With the shades, none of the SLink Feet HUD options seem to match the Phat Azz color (Skin Blend Layer Light).  And I assume that since her legs are no longer a part of her basic body, the SLink ankle blender layer is worthless?  No matter which one is worn, the foot doesn't change color.  I think the best option is to play with the shading, but I am terrible at that.  (EDIT: Since the Phat Azz is an attachment, and so is the SLink Feet, I will try to match RGB values and see what happens)

For the size, again the legs are no longer a part of her physical body.  So any alterations I make to the shape does not appear to resize her legs to fit the SLink feet attachments.  Not sure what else to do other than try all combinations of Phat Azz sizes and SLink sizes.

Has anyone successfully worn both Phat Azz and SLink feet (Medium)?  Or is anyone willing to help me brainstorm and think of additional things I can try?

Thanks in advance! =)

Tianna Burnstein

I don't think there's anything you can do with the size mismatch, at least with rigged meshes. You can't move where a rigged mesh is attached to your body and you can't change a number of the size parameters such as ankle diameter. You could try unrigged mesh feet, which are resizeable/repositionable but don't move smoothly with your shape's feet like rigged ones do.

As far as the skin tone, the simplest thing to do is find a skin maker that offers "appliers" for all of your individual parts. My understanding is that an "applier" paints the actual texture from that part of the standard skin onto the attachment so the color match will be as close to perfect as possible.

Thank you.  I figured the answer would be that I am out of luck with the size mismatch.  Was hoping someone found a way they could work together though.  I contacted all the designers involved, including my skin maker.  Hopefully one, if not all of them will take a minute to chat with me.  Each of them might claim the other one is at fault though, and I get no where.  I am hoping one of them would be willing to try something, or to redesign their product to fit the other's parts.  Wishful thinking, but I cannot imagine I am the only one who would want to wear both.

Are skin appliers are generic?  Or if I have a ROCKBERRY skin, I need a ROCKBERRY applier for the hands, feet, and legs?  I don't want to change my skin, but I do understand that might be the only way to get them all to match.  Thanks again!

Yes you need Rockberry appliers for Rockberry skin, Belleza appliers for Belleza skin... and so on. You "can" wear another applier in the same skin tone, but you will not get a flawless match. I have seen someone doing it well enough with very pale, superpale skins, because those skins often don't have much shading on the legs and arms. That is the hard part, shades and highlights.

One of my alts have a "Puffy" set of mesh breasts and I wear a light Aeva//Heartsick applier for "Puffy" with a Glam Affair skin. This matches well because I have a tattoo over the shoulders/overarms/chest that cover up the not 100 match. The skin layer is on the bottom, so tattoo on bra layer and tops over this again. This alt also has Phat Azz, but not Slink feet yet. I use Gos (New, mesh) and Maitreya (Old, prims) with the Phat azz and they fit well. 

I believe Slink feet come with a notecard telling you what shape dials to use with them. They are based on one of the dials in the content-creator-driven Standard Sizes system.

I know mine match up perfectly.

A shading match will never be perfect unless the skin you used has an applier. If not, there is a tattoo blend layer. My own skin maker closed up shop, and never got on the Slink bandwagon, so I used the tattoo blend layer.

The only issue with those sizes are:

1) To wear Phat Azz your belly neds to be 15 and body fat 0, no exceptions or else it wont connect them to your waist.  So that means you have to stray from the traditional settings for the hands and play with the torso muscles until it looks good.

2) On the feet side...  You aren't lining them up with your traditonal legs.  That is hidden and you are now lining the feet up to the Phat Azz mesh legs.  Therefore the shape controls you would normally set for the perfect match do nothing.  They can be 0 or 100, your legs don't budge.

So the result are SLink feet that are a little bigger than the bottom part of the Phat Azz mesh legs.  And no way to resize either of them :/

What that tells me is the Phat thing is poorly designed.

Any mesh prop that cannot work when you use the "Standard Sizes", or which at least lacks a version made for them, is poorly thought out. Why? Because they are just too prevelant. And why is that? Because its just the only way different mesh makers could ensure each other's stuff would work together well. Yes, its arbitrary and "somebody else other than my primma donna designer self picked it", but hey... its something that is a commonality - which makes it work. And it even holds up when you shift avatars between various heights and proportions.

Body fat of zero... that can leave the limbs looking... famished. It really only works on a few smaller shapes.

I think you are right in that Phat azz has some problems. I am not enough satisfied with them to buy them on my other avatars. There are some workarounds for them. I wonder if shoes with false feet where the leg part is longer and has a "sleeve" works better. Again, demo, demo...

I hope there will be more mesh parts, though. I like how designers try to fix the default avatar with "spare parts" since LL does not bother to upgrade the avatar. And if female shapes are ugly, the male shoulders and arms make me want to cry. Male avatars really have some to struggle with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.