Maybe someone knows?

KennyChidorie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some Second Life users know who visited (watched) their profiles. How it possible?

Script or viewer? Maybe someone knows?

This is real technology (not the focus of camera). One person always write to me when i looking at her profile. She write "Hi, i see you at my profile!"

Maybe someone of that stalkers here?

I've been eight years in SL and this is the first time I've heard this.

It would be a long shot but did they have a link in their profile to their own web site, blog or similar.  If you clicked a link they could see that someone had visited it.  But that would be a very long shot. 

KennyChidorie wrote:

No-no, i'm clicked inside Second Life viewer on link, what found at contacts. It was weird for me o3o

So did you click a link, yes or no?

Your sentence is very confusing.

Aside from that: Someone who messages you each time they think you look at their profile sounds like a waste of time and a potential attention seeker and dramaqueen.

Just tell them you've never er seen their boring profile and that they are totally mistaken or are liars. If they give you some made up time and date you throw it back and say they are making stuff up and to leave you alone. 

What nimrod cares so much about someone looking at their profiles to not only track people but to message them as well? 

Ansiri wrote:

A quick search on the marketplace found this, could this be why someone knows? 
Though need to touch the person...

Nope, because people typically don't go around left clicking other avatars, it has no useful action except where there's a deliberate worn prim to instigate an action via the LSL touch event.

This sort of junk was also found inside the utterly pointless "invisible shield" things that numpties wore, in the belief that it prevented someone from right clicking and inspecting their clothing objects to see where they were from.  In the most case it was either Vainella's who believed their prized look was so perfect that nobody should dare to wear the same, or by Copyella's who wore copybotted stuff and believed that these sheilds prevented others finding out they were wearing copybotted items.

In either case, a bit of camera gymnastics or a simple derender of the shield circumvented it and you'd just right click the object or avatar as before and since that doesn't trigger a touch event to LSL, they knew nothing.

I miss those days.

I look at a LOT of profiles, that is basically what I spend my SL doing. Twice, in all my time in SL, the person who's profile I was reading IMed me, knowing I was in their profile. Once, the person was on the same sim I was, the other time, the person had been speaking in a group I was in, and so I was nowhere near them, hadn't been speaking in the group, and the only way to possibly explain their knowing, was that they really did know. 

I have no idea how they knew, they weren't telling. Possibly it was a scrip/hud someone made and passed to friends? That would explain the rarity.. I really have no idea... but I do believe there is something out there that allows it. 

I seem to recall that, for a relatively brief time, there was a viewer with a security bug (because it was considered as such) that allowed others to find out (presumably through scripts). It was quickly patched (signaling that either LL or the viewer's developers weren't keen to allow it as a “feature”), but not before a product appeared in the Marketplace –which, as usual, kept selling way after that, even if it didn’t work anymore. I suppose it’s theoretically possible that another flaw exists, but if it does, I’m betting few “in the know” will be willing to share it, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, even if it exists and someone does tell you, I’d steer clear of it, or at least the person who apparently has it. It’s a bit like the LookAt feature... it’s controversial enough in and on itself, but at least most of its users have the common sense not to jump at whoever is looking at them. The few that do tend to be, as has been mentioned, way deep into drama queen territory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.