Looking to get a new Avatar

KyokiMaru

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking to purchase a complete new avatar & was wondering if anyone could reccommend a brand that makes a nice complete one. Right now i have an R Icelli that is ok, better than what I had when I opened up an account. I want to edit her face more than is possible. I'm not all that savy on building one on my own so I thought I'd come ask here. I've gotten great advice on everything else. Looking forward to hearing from everybody. Thank you!

That's where I get lost. Which is why I just wNted to get a complete Avatar. Also, do I want to get mesh or can I even get anything other than mesh now? This stuff boggles my brain & makes me tired! Thank you for replying!

I have an alt that I use to help newcomers and shop with. It is also an Rcelli. I personally loved the shape but was not as wild about the skin. You can get many skins for free around SL if you join the groups. There are many on marketplace for free or very low linden. I have helped 100s of people with makeoevers...from one day old to 10 years old on SL. I never charged anyone and even took a profile pic so they would have their new look displayed on their profile.

My suggestion is to get several skins and use parts from each one. That way you are unique. I once bought a full skin just to have the eyebrows I like on my ava, LOL

The advice is you dont have to spend a fortune to be fabulous and have excellent clothing. Don't buy junk. There are way too many very good designers that either give away things, participate in hunts or are part of the weekly sales. 

If you look inworld at my groups on my profile almost every one of them offer group gifts...some are free to join and some are not. You can join those groups by clicking on them on my profile and then you get a box to add the group.

Good Luck!

There is no such thing as a complete avatar, when you want good quality...at least not, if you are aiming for a human or human-like avatar, that is based on the standart avatar and not a complete mesh avatar, which would be unable to be modified at all.

My current avatar is made up out of the products from at least five different stores, not counting the clothes.

It may help you to know that if you peruse shops that sell EITHER shapes or skins and find one of either that you like, it may/often does come with a "style card." Style cards tell you what the model in the advertisement is wearing, so if you like the avatar pictured, you can buy each piece separately but still be assured of looking pretty much like the person in the picture. Something to keep an eye out for, anyway. I see it more often with shapes, but I've seen it with skins as well, and sometimes even with clothing.

I am yet another who does NOT advocate for full avatars. Mixing and matching is fun, and gives you something more unique in the end. ALWAYS buy mod shapes, BTW. That way you can tweek as much as you want. I usually look for a shape with a face I like, then give minor tweeks to that and major tweeks to the body.And of course, try demos. Try, try, try until you find the right fit for you. I've been known to grab dozens at a time, and try everything on one at a time, comparison shopping and deleting as I go until I end up with a handful of favorites, then eliminating among those for the ultimate winner.

In any avatar you need to buy or make these pieces:

Skin

Shape - This component is best self made.

AO - (stands for Animation Override - controls how you move. Can be bought as a package, or as an empty thing you add your own animations into. Some TPVs let you just buy the animations).

Hair

Eyes

Clothes

In a mesh avatar you will also need some or all of these:

Body - make sure it is "fitted". If you find one you like and don't know, ask about it. Fitted means it will change shape to "fit" all of your shape dials that are not in the head.

Feet - must make sure it matches your body if you get a mesh body.

Hands - must make sure it matches your body if you get a mesh body.

Head - these are not 'shapeable' so having one means you will look identical to others with it.

In non human avatars you will need... whatever your chosen design calls for. Likewise for any other special theme.

Just go down these lists and get the parts you need.

AVOID anything listed as Sculpty - Sculpty is an older system that causes you to use up abnormally high amounts of graphics processing resources... which, causes lag for yourself and those around you.

Very detailed textures and high polygon mesh also cause this problem - BUT while Sculpty is ALWAYS a problem, mesh and textures are only a problem when bought from unskilled makers.

Beyond the list above, everything is optional.

The more mesh body parts you get, the more complicated things will get. Mesh bodies look a LOT nicer than not having them - and are a LOT more feature rich. BUT they are NOT for beginners...

- If you do not like spending hours configuring your look, a mesh body is not for you.

The problem with what you just said is I have no idea how to use parts! I DID buy a skin but I haven't a clue on what to do with it! I even made a copy of what I have (so I didn't destroy me!) Boy! Was that ever scary! After that, I just thought I would be smart & just get a complete Avi. It's easier & less frustrating for someone as impatient as me!

Thank you Ariel! Now that you mention it, I DO have a style card! A friend said they would make me an avi so I didn't go around looking like a "noob" even though I was/am!  Does that mean I can say take out the eyes & replace with different ones etc? I hope so! I may not be as ignorant as I thought! LOL!

Pussycat, that was very helpful information. I think I already have two AOs & yes, I don't think I would like mesh if all that time is involved. I don't mind spending some & after reading a lot of these questions in the forum, I know more than I thought I did. Everybody here is very knowledgeable & helpful. Just wait, I will have a "killer" avi!

Try Altamura mesh avatars their feet also feet shoes for slink feet, Eve mesh body and head also pretty good and not pricey, mesh body and heads, are just a better look, although you can wear a mesh body and use default head, most mesh bodies will go good with default head too

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.