I need help with deformers.

FluorideSting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello I'm FluorideSting,

Recently me and a friend have been trying to make our own deformers and we have been running into a lot of issues along the way. Before I begin, I have already searched through Google, in in the various SL related wiki's / knowledgebases / jira and also here in these forums for everything I could find deformer related, and still I feel that something is missing.

First, too many people I have talked to on SL have linked me this page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_deformation

It has come to my attention that this information is old and only works if I install an old SL viewer, I would prefer to not have to do that.

Right now I'm just using the standard SL viewer 3.2.4, please don't give me crap about it. I plan on moving to Firestorm AFTER I get this deformer thing figured out and working properly.

Right now I've been trying to use QAvimator to create a .bvh file, then I would open that file in notepad and change the offsets for the particular joints, and then upload the animation to SL.

Not only am I unsure as if this is the correct procedure, or if I'm missing any steps, but when I do try and upload the .bvh file SL only gives me the message "Failed to initialize motion" at the bottom of the Animation Upload window.

I tried creating a question in the technical answers area of the forum, but I have yet to receive any answers: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Failed-to-initialize-motion/qaq-p/1336319

My friend is having the same problems and we both feel like everyone we talk to and everywhere we go, either we get the same old info, an incomplete answer, or the subject dances around every piece we don't know, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I would appreciate ANY help anyone can give us about Deformers and how to make them, and any information on how to get past the "Failed to initialise motion" problem that we are having.

FluorideSting gets on her knees and looks up at you with big puppy-dog eyes. "Please?"

Thank you so much for replying Medhue.

Both me and my friend are trying to make a larger bodybuilder-style avatars, and all we need the deformer for is to widen our shoulders so that the arm pieces look correct with the upper body, instead of half sunken-in.

One product we were already using (the IWG Standard Avatar Deformer) works, but we wanted to be able to make our own so we could have more flexability with some of the unique designs we have been wanting to create. In many cases the IWG Standard Avatar Deformer just doesn't work for our needs in many cases.

But I dont know about the future, we may want to be able to create a deformer for somthing completly different, who knows.

Personally, I'm not a fan of deformers for bones. I've seen many avatars and I've yet to see a valid reason for using deformers, except those related to height and a few other odd avatars. As an animator, I would prefer avatar makers to stick to the standard skeleton, which does have a very wide variety of shapes. By using a deformer, this might be cool for you, but adds even more complexity for the user and any other thing they may want to use with that avatar. I have created a Jira to expand the limits on the Shape Height Editor. This will allow avatar creators to make their avatars any size they want using the Shape Height slider. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2882

Now, of course, you are the creator, and you have the right to make things however you want, and I'm sure you will make the right decision for yourself. Although I understand how the deformer works, I've never wanted to make 1, as i feel the shape editor can handle most sizes. If I had to guess why the bvh is not uploading, maybe it is strictly related to viewers and using an old viewer just for the deformer is what you might have to do. A few of LL's new default avatars have deformers in them, so I would assume that there is a way to make them with the new viewers. Let me add tho, there is no reason at all that the new default avatar that I tried needed a deformer. But, let me also add, that I don't think a deformed shoulder bone would be as bad, in my mind, as other parts being deformed like thighs or others. You are the creator, and I'm sure you know what you need.

There are many people that do use deformers, so I hope they come along and can help you. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.