I'm a cloud

Belaveth Lysette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can see my complete avatar with no problem, but I had others in SL who said they saw me as a cloud, that my avatar is not appearing. How can this be? Even if I did some tweaking in advanced settings I wouldn't know if that helped since I already can see my avatar. To begin with I'm not using a newbies avatar. My whole avatar is custom made. I hope I don't have to digress my cool designed avatar back to a newbie avatar just to get others to see me normally.

You should be fine.  You're just having a bit of trouble with the Internet connection between your client viewer and SL's servers.  Changes to your appearance are made on your own computer and then uploaded to SL so that others can see them.  If the connection between the two spots is interrupted, you may be able to see the changes but others won't.  There's a very nice and exhaustive set of suggestions for how to cure the problem  HERE. It is on the Phoenix web site but it really applies to any SL viewer.

There's a few things you can do. You can find the  answers here in the Answers section of the commuity site, but I really think SL needs an FAQ guide of some sort. This question appears nearly every day.

First, the simplest fix. Press ctrl+alt+r. This "rebakes" your avatar's textures, meaning it refreshes them, like you'd refresh a website. Not just for you, but for everyone around you. This usually works.

If that does not work, try moving to an empty sim and trying ctrl+alt+r again. Return and see if it solved the problem for your friends.

If that is still not working, you can try logging out and logging back in, that will usually solve any avatar rezzing issues.

If you'd like to avoid logging out and you have your current appearance saved as either a folder or an Outfit in the Outfits panel, then open up your Develop window by pressing ctrl+alt+q. That will make the Develop menu appear at the top of your screen. Click on it and go to Develop>Avatar>Character Tests and select Test Male or Test Female, it does not matter which. This will force your avatar to load as one of the old SL starter avatars. Once it loads, simple return your avatar to it's usual look by either using the Outfit panel, or dragging the folder you stored your appearance in onto your avatar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.