Help! Avatar is attaching ALL OBJECTS IN INVENTORY

Larka Yoshiyuki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ALL 50,000+ of them.
It started a year ago when I was trying to clean out my inventory, (yes this issue has been going on for a whole YEAR) my hand must of slipped and I must of clicked the wrong button. Every time I sign in more and more objects get attached, I remove one another takes its place. I can't detach all because it crashes SL, in the rare case when it does work, when I go to attach clothing it just attaches more random objects. I've tried reseting to default but when I restart and relog it just keeps attaching more objects!

I'm absolutely clueless as to how to fix this, and starting a new character is not an option, I've had this one since 2006 and I've invested to much time and money into this to just give up and make a new one. My pc is just a simple little lenovo laptop and doesn't have that much processing power, so when it rezzes so many objects it crashes nearly every single time. And it does this on every computer I log into SL with, I used to have a desktop (now dead, also where the issue started) and it did it there too, I downloaded SL on my laptop to see if maybe, just maybe it would solve the issue. But sadly no, it did not.

Please help me fix this, I miss SL greatly and I miss all my friends and avatars as well! There must be a way to solve this!

Wearing Your Entire Inventory

If you find yourself suddenly starting to wear your entire inventory, here are some suggestions for how to fix the problem. Please do them one at a time; the initial methods are simpler than later ones, and will often work. If a method fails, then move on to the next one. Please also follow the instructions as exactly as possible.

Method 1

• Open the Current Outfit folder (no, don't click on the Worn tab; find the Current Outfit folder), and shift select blocks of 10 or so worn items and Right click → detatch from yourself.
  • Note: Do not attempt to remove too many worn links in one go, or you will likely crash or freeze. Also note that you cannot detatch your skin, shape, bald hairbase or eyes links.
  • Detatch everything showing worn in Current Outfit folder that you can and then delete all unworn links a few at a time (again, dont delete too many at once ot you may freeze/crash).
  • Once you are only left with skin, shape, baldy and eyes worn, you may wish to empty trash as there may be hundreds of links in there.
  • Now you are safe to replace outfit normally

Method 2

If the above doesn't solve the problem, the fix below usually works - though it may need to be repeated a couple of times:

• Make a temporary folder in your inventory; in that, put a *copy* of your skin, shape, hair base and eyes - and if you like, a base layer garment like jeans or a dress. NO PRIMS
  • Right click the folder you just made, and select Replace Outfit. No Add, not wear, but REPLACE
  • Once that has done, relog to last location - ie, back to Hippo Hollow.
  • Make sure you are still wearing only the things from the temporary folder you made
  • At this point, you can put your normal avatar back on.
  • Like 1

The avatar and everything it's wearing is stored on LL servers, not on your computer. It's why, no matter what computer you use, you'll log in wearing the same clothes you logged out wearing. Now, because she accidentally told the viewer to wear her entire inventory, that's what stored in the servers - that's she wearing EVERYTHING. Unfortunately, switching computers, clearing cache, etc. will not fix this. SL is doing what it was told to do.

Laetizia Coronet wrote:

She said she has had this on an old and a new computer. Something tells me that there's a setting which needs to be set to default as well - a setting which has transferred from installation to installation. Do you have an idea about that as well?

That has nothing to do with a setting. It's a bug in the context menu handling in the viewer. It's possible that if you open click on one of those separator bars in a context menu, the option right before or after the separator gets executed. And that might be "Attach". Executing "Attach" on a folder will create links in the "Current Outfit" folder for each item in that folder you mistakenly executed the command. And everything that is in that folder will be worn/attached to your avatar. Since the current outfit folder is stored on the server, changing PCs won't help anything. You have to manually delete all links from the current outfit folder to fix this issue.

some of the problems noticed in the past that triggered this on some of the users was..when they would replace an outfit folder with another outfit folder..

a good practice is to remove the outfit first then wear the folder..

this was a few viewer versions back..things may have changed since then..

i know it use to be a real pain fixing this because there was no fix at the time..

it's good to see LL finally has something for it now.. =)

Laetizia Coronet wrote:

Yes, exactly, and if you ask me, this can be reset to default. I have no idea how though.

we tried  a lot of different ways and thier inventory would start to load back up on them again..

i had a post in one of these threads what we did step by step and what worked and what didn't..

we even tried some older viewers  that didn't have the wear folders and links to see if we could delete them..

and it still didn't work..if i can find that post i'll post it up here..

it's been about a year maybe year and a half since i've messed with this problem..

i just know i feel bad for who it happens to..it's time consuming like watching grass grow..

ETA: I searched two times through the threads and cannot find the thread with that post..it must have been purged or something..

Yes, I read the explanation. Thank you for pointing it out again.  It was most kind of you to do so.

Even when an appropriate action is executed in most software,  "norms" are programmed  for excecutable actions.  If something is outside those normals or maximum parameters ...say attaching 20-100  items for an outfit vs an entire inventory...an internal error may be reported to the system administrator...i.e. LL in this case...something the user may never see.  Usually, exceeding the normal parameters have safeguards in place that shut down such actions notifiying  the user.  It sounds like there is no normal or maximum set-up  for attachment/wear from inventory.   Thus, I am suggesting the OP contact LL directly if the solutions upon offer do not work for them.

the best thing to do when someone see's this starting up..pull your connection right from the modem to stop it and close SL..

myself i would  do a clean install after rehooking things back up..

if it stopped it.. then continue with the LL fixes linked here..

if it works..it would be a lot faster than taking all those things off..

the times i helped people..all detach all did was detach some of the things attached and kept on attaching..

i think you have to break the requests and communication from the client to the asset server for it to stop..

something like that..

• 7 years later...

Oh... this is an old bug that happens when one misclicks in inventory. The result is the viewer starts adding everything in inventory to the avatar. Since there is a limit to how much can be attached a cue forms. Take something off and viewer and SL servers will add more.

The quick fix is to change your Outfit. The point is to force the Current Outfit to update. The misclick fills the Current Outfit folder with all the stuff in your inventory... well... links to all the stuff. Changing Outfits clears the Current Outfit folder and fills it with the selected Outfit.

This is Ansariel's Method 2. Ansariel's Method 1 seems needlessly tedious. BUT, Ansariel works with the FS viewer code and should know what works best. I think I had this happen twice. Both times M#2 worked for me. So...

You never said which viewer you were using. It is a very good idea to click HELP->About... in the viewer and copy paste that info in with your tech problem. I think the problem has been blocked on the Linden's SL Viewer. FS used to have the problem but I thought they fixed it in their viewer too.

A bug report might by nice but you need to be able to tell them how to reproduce the problem in the report. If you can't... the report isn't going to get anything done.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.