Hand and Feet Problems in Shape Demos

ChampagneStar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having problems with my shape demos where the hands and feet are way too big and the body is super thin (not how it looks on the demo pictures).I've tried three different shape, and same thing happens to all of them. Is there any way to correct this w/o having to buy the shape, since the point of getting the demo is to try b/f you buy.

I know... :( but I guess it would be too easy to just buy demos shapes if they didn't do that, you know? Try to get a pose that makes you stand with your hands behind your back maybe, that way it wont be such a huge distraction. For the feet, maybe some shoes with alpha layers? Just thinking out loud now. 

Sometimes shape makers use two demos. One for the head and one for the body. The one for the head will have an ugly body. The one for the body will have an ugly (usually huge) head. That is because people actually started using the demo shapes with the huge hands and feet. Either they did not notice or did not mind. Which is pretty funny because as you have seen the hands and feet on most demo shapes are enormous.

That could be why the body looks so thin in your demo.

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

Sometimes shape makers use two demos. One for the head and one for the body. The one for the head will have an ugly body. The one for the body will have an ugly (usually huge) head. That is because people actually started using the demo shapes with the huge hands and feet. Either they did not notice or did not mind. Which is pretty funny because as you have seen the hands and feet on most demo shapes are enormous.

That is so funny, I had never heard of that. Lol, look at my awesome hands, they are so huge! lol :P

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Shapes will look different with different skins and also some photos are enhanced.

This is a big factor. Ideally you want a quality skin and a quality shape. Quality skins are actually fairly easy to find, shapes are much more difficult simply because the tools seem explicitely designed to discourage anyone from ever making a good shape in SL. 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

That is so funny, I had never heard of that. Lol, look at my awesome hands, they are so huge! lol
:P

Maybe they use them to swat griefers with. :D

ChampagneStar wrote:

I'm having problems with my shape demos where the hands and feet are way too big and the body is super thin (not how it looks on the demo pictures).I've tried three different shape, and same thing happens to all of them. Is there any way to correct this w/o having to buy the shape, since the point of getting the demo is to try b/f you buy.

Hi. If demo shapes had normal hands / feet and no other indication that they are demo's why someone after to buy the original product?

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

That is so funny, I had never heard of that. Lol, look at my awesome hands, they are so huge! lol
:P

Maybe they use them to swat griefers with.
:D

i'm suprized men are not just walking all around with these shapes..

they know we know that it's all about the size of the hands and feet lol

Syo Emerald wrote:

I wish they would care more about it. All those wardrobeshaped guys with ther tiny tiny hands :matte-motes-bored:

And stumpy short arms!

With women I can kinda understand it, since the arm slider is skewed a LOT shorter for women than it is for men, but there's no reason for t-rex armed men walking around.

Penny Patton wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

I wish they would care more about it. All those wardrobeshaped guys with ther tiny tiny hands :matte-motes-bored:

And stumpy short arms!

With women I can kinda understand it, since the arm slider is skewed a LOT shorter for women than it is for men, but there's no reason for t-rex armed men walking around.

ya i can't get the arms the right length..that was kind of frustrating...i'm 5'1" and they are still short of making the length..also it would be nice if they had upper and forearm adjustments..because it all feels like it is the forearm that stretches ...

Ceka Cianci wrote:

ya i can't get the arms the right length..that was kind of frustrating...i'm 5'1" and they are still short of making the length..also it would be nice if they had upper and forearm adjustments..because it all feels like it is the forearm that stretches ...

You're 5'1" with a maxed out arm slider and your arms still aren't long enough? I never seem to have that problem until I get a shape up past 6'1" or so.

i don't understand it either..i am 8 heads tall and my middle line is lined up where it should be with the crotch..

even my breasts lined up..but when i did my height prim to do my arm span..

my height prim is at 1.712..then if i were to shrink the prim to my arm spam..my arm span prim ends up being a span of 1.567 on the prim..it won't let me go any longer..

i mean it doesn't look bad or anything like that..my hands look to be where they should be..but my span is slightly short of my height..

ETA i just looked in the firestorm viewer to see what it said my height was..

the LL viewer says 1.55 meters and the firestorm viewer says 1.75 meters..now i am all kinds of confused on what my height is =(

LL says i am 5.09 feet tall and firestorm says i am 5.73 feet tall..that is a big difference =(

Ceka Cianci wrote:the LL viewer says 1.55 meters and the firestorm viewer says 1.75 meters..now i am all kinds of confused on what my height is =(

LL says i am 5.09 feet tall and firestorm says i am 5.73 feet tall..that is a big difference =(

I made a comparison about what different things tell about my height:

Below is a picture with two prims on the sides of my avatar. The red one on the left is exactly the height of my shape 1.803 meters. The green one on the right is exactly the height what Linden Lab viewer tells for my height 1.620 meters.

What Linden Lab viewer tells for the height is the "Agent Height". The agent height is shorter than the actual avatar mesh height is. Phoenix viewer and Firestorm viewer try to calculate the mesh height. And they get pretty close to the true mesh height value. Unfortunately there is no direct way of getting the mesh height (at least as far as know). Phoenix and Firestorm calculation is based on the Agent Height with some correction factor to get close to the true mesh height. Only Agent Height is well defined in SL, mesh height is not defined. Therefore mesh height must be measured with a prim or alternatively use calculation based on Agent Height to get a close approximation. The fact that viewers tell different height for avatar height is very confusing for most of the users, and leads to all kinds of arguments who's right and who's wrong. Something should be done..

so then the firestorm one is probably better to go by?

well 5'7" isn't so bad i guess.. i think if i were to go down to 5'1" that may be too small for me then..

if i were to go any smaller..maybe 5'5" at the most would be  as small as i would go..

but i like my height now ..so i guess that's the important thing hehehehe

Ceka Cianci wrote:

so then the firestorm one is probably better to go by?

well 5'7" isn't so bad i guess.. i think if i were to go down to 5'1" that may be too small for me then..

if i were to go any smaller..maybe 5'5" at the most would be  as small as i would go..but i like my height now ..so i guess that's the important thing hehehehe

Yes indeed, as you can see from the chart Firestorm and Phoenix are telling very close the correct mesh height.

I once made my avatar 1.6 meters (5' 3") tall. Unfortunately it really looked a tad too small amongst the giants. So I made a compromise, I made my avatar 1.8 meters (5' 11") tall. A  bit tallish for RL woman. In SL it generally works pretty well even among the giants, they don't step on me anymore accidentally.

:smileywink:

This size still looks like a petit woman and it fits well also to small places.

:smileyhappy:

As you say, the important thing is that we like the height what we have and feel comfortable with it.

They should post a small sign nearby, I ran into that yesterday with a friend, and I thought I broke her avi!, I was in a panic because it was my idea that she get a shape.  Thankfully someone else told me the same thing...  It would have been nice to see a little notice that it was going to happen before she looked like a hobbit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.