Global derender?

LunarFang Bury

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seems threads here do not get bumped when a new post is made within them so I am making a new one regarding this concept. I figured someone may know how to help me out regarding Derendering. I been an SL user for quite sometime and in my time I have seen a plethora of things some of which I find visually offensive. I am a furry and frequent furry realms my problem lay with a particular avatar that seems to have exploded in popularity and now I see tons of these offensive looking creatures. Is there a way to globally derender/blacklist these avatars? That way I am not constantly having to right click every single one of these creepy things and never have to worry about seeing them ever on my screen. Someone suggested I mute the creator and this does not work as I see the offending avatars still. Please can anyone shed insight I'd really love to know. 

The best filter of content in the known universe lies between your ears - if these things don't phase you, they won't preoccupy you. You could learn to dissociate the feeling with offence, and instead just ignore them. This promotes better health and mindfulness than relying on other people or software to adapt to your feelings of offence.

There is no global derender for assets, only for specifically identified users.

Travel in peace.

The filter as you say is tired of seeing it and frankly its as bad as witnessing rape in progress to sum it up for you I think there should be a global asset derendering option. This would give the user more flexibility to cater their SL experience to their liking. Say for instance for those not wishing to see various genitalia shouldn't be subjected to it just because somebody wishes to run around exposed. 

(edited addition) 

I find your reply more insult than help its like saying dont worry everythings gonna be okay just let your brain get numb to the idea of looking at these things and get used to it and accept it. No I will not accept it no I will not tollerate it and if I have to mute everyone unjustly (which Im trying to avoid) for it then so be it.

Drawing equivilence with real world violence isn't helpful. Other users in SL have no obligation to meet your sensibilities.

Maturity ratings and staying on land that you own may provide some buffering for your tiredness (since you can eject/ban) but again, Second Life does not have this feature and it's likely technically infeasible. Certainly, I'm not willing to play-pretend that this will be indulged by our service operator.

I offer proactive solutions that you can implement today - I've already explained that no technical "help" will be forthcoming.

Your options seem to be clear at this stage, so I'll wish you luck in however you choose to deal with it.

Since When did you explain no technical help forthcoming? You seem certain in your claim and I don't see it as impossible but very probable. I will continue to advocate for change than be passive. Thank you for utterly nothing of substance I suggest you not respond further.

LunarFang Bury wrote:

Since When did you explain no technical help forthcoming? You seem certain in your claim and I don't see it as impossible but very probable. I will continue to advocate for change than be passive. Thank you for utterly nothing of substance I suggest you not respond further.

Freya is correct. There is no global derender, and it's very unlikely one will be offered. It would be difficult to implement well, you're the first person I've seen ask for it, and Linden Lab has reduced staffing for Second Life as it embarks on the creation of a new virtual world.

I also agree with Freya that equating anything in SL to witnessing a RL rape weakens your argument.

You wouldn't be the first person to be offended by something that's "exploding in popularity".

And there's at least a wee bit of hypocrisy in suggesting someone not respond in a public forum.

LunarFang Bury wrote:

The filter as you say is tired of seeing it and frankly its as bad as witnessing rape in progress to sum it up for you I think there should be a global asset derendering option.

Seeing an avatar, which is nothing more than a group of pixels that you don't care for, is the equivalent of witnessing a rape?  Really???? 

To add to what has already been said,  LL could have a permanent derender in the official viewer like Firestorm has but chose to only make it temporary.  That should tell you your pursuit of global rendering is pointless. 

My advice is to get over it. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

To add to what has already been said,  LL could have a permanent derender in the official viewer like Firestorm has but chose to only make it temporary. 

That's definitely a good point, thanks Amethyst. It may be worth clarifying that you're talking about derendering (in Firestorm) either:-

• specific rezzed objects, by UUID (UUID changes every time an object is rezzed - this method does not work on attachments)
  • specific avatars (along with all attached objects - this can also include certain types of functions, i.e., inventory sending)

Both cases show clear and intentional limitations, either between logins/teleports/re-rezzing or when it involves attachments. Even a third party viewer's implementation of derendering is considerably more consistent and much less resource-demanding than the result of this bizarre crusade would be.

This says nothing for the reluctance of LL to include features that discourage the Shared Experience principle.

Finally some substance of a more detailed explaination as to the why it may not be done. Freya I didn't ask for phycology lessons nor do I care to explain why I find these avatars so offending as thats my preference. I am not a troll as I been on the grid 7+ years and never once have I come here with something frivilous. Also to point out every object that is rendered has properties in which you can check for yourself as to who is the creator regardless of your uuid mumbo jumbo there is even a way to track pending the creator of objects. I do use Firestorm as I like customization; however, there is no forums for said viewer, and thought to pitch the idea here. Having done so I not only get my intellegence insulted but someones unsolicited psycological dabbling which im assuming said person has not the training nor the certification to warrant such advice be followed at all, leave that to the professionals. My solution as of now is to mute them all as I see them. Again thanks for the splendid display of helpfulness that has only tought me to continue working things out the way I have always done by myself.

Firestorm may not have a forum, but they do have a JIRA page which, for things such as this, is even better. However, your specific suggestion has already been made at least once that I remember, and it was dismissed quite exactly for the reasons that Freya already explained; however, if your qualification of her explanation as “mumbo jumbo” means that you positively think it can be done without so much problem, it may be a good idea for you to re-open the issue with a more detailed explanation, or perhaps even an actual code patch, of how to do it; this way they’ll reconsider it and perhaps actually implement it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.