Get rid of the Jellydoll notification popup?

Kylara Kuhn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the notification popup that comes up every few minutes and that "warns" me that I might not be fully rendered to everyone?

Yes, I'm aware that people still have old computers and turn me into a jellydoll because of that or might even derender me fully. Just don't bother me with that? 

And please don't come with an answer like: "reduce the complexity of your avatar then you won't get the notification". Point is that I like my complex avatar and I like to see other complex avatars so I have put complexity up to "No Limit".

Kylara Kuhn wrote:

Yes, I'm aware that people still have old computers and turn me into a jellydoll because of that or might even derender me fully. Just don't bother me with that? 

And please don't come with an answer like: "reduce the complexity of your avatar then you won't get the notification". Point is that I like my complex avatar and I like to see other complex avatars so I have put complexity up to "No Limit".

total misunderstanding, it has nothing to do with old computers, and it's totally egoistic and unnessecary to keep up a complex avatar. It only shows you have no single idea what load you bring to SL. ( and most likley crap designed clothes and attachments)

But you'r right it's  totally your own choice to be a derendered purple blurp for others.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

Kylara Kuhn wrote:

total misunderstanding, it has nothing to do with old computers, and it's totally egoistic and unnessecary to keep up a complex avatar. It only shows you have no single idea what load you bring to SL. ( and most likley crap designed clothes and attachments)

But you'r right it's  totally your own choice to be a derendered purple blurp for others.

You don't know the how high her complexity is. Maybe its 400.000ish, then yes, sure, she should probably reconsider her outfit choices. But maybe its an absolutly reasonable number, considering what she is wearing (like a mesh body for example) and the notification is just nonesense.

And if she does not encounter any technical issue viewing herself or other avatars of the same complexity, it is very logical to say "I don't care". You already have no controll over how others see your avatar in other aspects.

You don't know what you are talking about since you don't know her complexity.

Lately I was at a club and had the 2nd highest complexity. ( about 60,000 ) Nearly everytime someone rezzed I got that message that I'm not seen by everybody .. blah blah. It was obviously the rezpoint of SL's craptop user club with low settings as a must.

However, since I keep an eye on complexity on my own and I dont need help of this spam function it was a good idea to switch that off. :D

Talligurl wrote:

some of my outfit go pretty high, I tend to wear lots of jewlrey and other stuff, bu ti have never seen this notification.

You only get the message if you are near someone who is seeing you as a jelly.  I don't know what other checks, if any, are involved tho.  Could someone have Avatar Complexity set to just above minimum so they can run around spaming other avatars with the warning?  Does it only count if you are above thier default? I don't know.  But I do no you won't get the message no matter how high you ARC unless someone is there to see it.

My complexity is about 80,000. Noting fancy on me. just the Maitreya mesh body and some well made low poly clothes. Flexi hair though because fitted mesh hair looks like wet noodles to me. So besides that... nothing special at all. But when you stand in an environment where there are a lot of no nmesh avies then you constantly get that annoying message. Luckily I know how to get rid of it indeed.. And yes. I can't care less for how people (especially you) want to see me. That's their choice, their loss. As it is mine to decide how I want to look.

I can confirm that the warning seems to be triggered when you are over the avatar complexity someone set for their viewer to be the limit. I was at C88 today, with an ac of ~42.000 and got the warning. Detached my skirt and got a message that I was now visible to everyone, which makes me assume that someone near me had their limit at around 40.000, which is really really low.

Honestly, both positions are reasonable.

Kylara put time and effort, and likely a significant amount of L$ into her appearance and doesn't want a nagging message popping up telling her she isn't being rendered for everyone just because LL added a new feature.

Alwin understands a little better how realtime 3D rendering works and would like to see people be more sensible in the attachments they wear rather than simply ignoring the new feature and looking for a way to disable it.

Both of these points of view are perfectly valid. I mean that. The problem is SL has existed for over a decade with no caps on the render weight of avatars or tools to help users and content creators manage the render weight of their outfits.

Realistically, there's no reason for an avatar to have a render weight higher than 50,000 and even that's being extremely generous. But since there's never been any caps on draw weight, or any other attempts by LL to curb excessive avatar draw weights, content creators have filled SL with a deluge of poorly made, entirely unoptimized avatar accessories. Even if you do want to be considerate of your draw weight, you have very limited options unless you make all of your own accessories from scratch.

Now LL has introduced a feature that derenders avatars based on complexity, and intends this feature to encourage more optimized avatars, but by making it something that can be so easily disabled, and still not providing tools to help people manage their draw weight, you're going to see people butt heads like this.

If LL were smart they'd introduce draw weight caps similar to how they replaced prim limits with Land Impact, by tying it to new features like Bento. If LL did that then you'd seen content creators falling over each other to release great looking clothes/accessories with low draw weights.

Most mesh bodies are about 9000 complexity, If you're numbers are running higher then 60,000 then you are wearing poorly designed mesh. Sure the textures may be great but the mesh has too many vertices. It may be hard for you to understand but complexity does matter and not just for old computers. Going off of what you posted your avatar alone is probably file size wise bigger then a Call of Duty map.

You can't or at least shouldn't compare SL to a game like Call of Duty. They use all the same Textures that are optimized for the game. SL, however, has user created textures and items. Firestorm has their default set depending on the level you have your graphics. I have mine on high and the default is at 80K. 

I rarely wear jewelry but I wear various mesh bodies and heads. Unless I'm geared up for the place I RP in, my render rate is around 40K. When I put on my gun and melee my ARC jumps up to 60K. I did put on a pair of shoes today that added 10K complexity and it was just a few straps and the heel. I quickly took them off and deleted them. I have others similar at lower complexity. 

I've spent a lot of money over the years to get my avi the way I want it and I've kept my computer updated. I like the way I look. If someone has an older computer, jellydolls are a godsend for them since they can still play in SL without laggin because of rez time for them. 

Smiles....no ARC shaming here, please....

Well, no, you can and should compare SL content creation to videogame content. There's no reason NOT to use optimized textures and models in SL, and if you know how to create something in the first place, then optimizing it really isn't difficult. The only reason content creators don't is because most are unaware of why it's important, and many are very sensitive about criticism, to the point where they'll argue that unoptimized textures and mesh don't hurt performance.

Really, LL should have done something for avatars similar to prim limits and land impact are for land. A hard cap that forces people to optimize. It wouldn't need to be super strict, even. A cap of 50,000 for draw weight would be enough to make content creators see the benefit of keeping their creations as light as possible, since content with lower draw weight would be in higher demand. Using optimized content, you can create an extremely detailed avatar that is well under 50,000.

I do agree that we shouldn't jump to "ARC shaming" but politely explaining why low draw weights are good should always be welcome. People really should be aware of why it's good to keep your draw weight low. If more people were simply aware then I'm sure we'd see more content creators reducing the draw weight of their content and making it a selling point.

Gee I ran second life just fine before avatar complexity notifications. if i lagged i reduced the number of avatars rendered or dropped my draw distance, but now we have another useless number to obsess over. Didn't it used to be excessive scripts that was the bane of a satisfactory sl experience?

60,000 naked by the way, with Maitreya Lara body and my fabulous 100+ prim flexi hair.

:)

You actually can't and shouldn't compare SL to a regular video game. In a video game, like Call of Duty, all the textures are preloaded.

In SL, greater than 95% of what you see is resident created and has to be loaded to your cache as you see it. Some creators don't make the best choices, like using a 1024 texture on something like a ring. Stuff like that takes more resources. But the better creators are more careful. The ARC isn't any different now than it was 3 months ago. We've just been made aware of it with a new shiny. 

I can't make clothes.

I can't even alter them.

And I don't have the time to learn how to be a good 3D artist...because then, the first thing I don't have time for would be logging into SL. :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

I can only buy and I know about my AC since yesterday (I'm lazy with updating my viewer). I'll try to not buy stuff that adds too much to my AC, but the moment someone compares my avatar to a CoD map, I'll mute them. I can't change creators, I just want to be pretty and me. Also running around naked would be a problem for most places...

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

You actually can't and shouldn't compare SL to a regular video game. In a video game, like Call of Duty, all the textures are preloaded.

In SL, greater than 95% of what you see is resident created and has to be loaded to your cache as you see it. Some creators don't make the best choices, like using a 1024 texture on something like a ring. Stuff like that takes more resources. But the better creators are more careful. The ARC isn't any different now than it was 3 months ago. We've just been made aware of it with a new shiny. 

What I'm saying is that SL content creators and the developers at LL should be looking at how art assets are created for videogames to inform the best practices for creating content for a virtual world like SL (or Sansar).

If you surround yourself with efficiently made content and avatars with lower draw weight, then SL runs a lot better. I used to make full sims for SL and because I optimized the content I used, just as one would for a videogame, people were able to enjoy both better looking visuals and much higher framerates. Not to mention less lag and faster rez times.

Syo Emerald wrote:

I can't make clothes.

I can't even alter them.

And I don't have the time to learn how to be a good 3D artist...because then, the first thing I don't have time for would be logging into SL. :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

I can only buy and I know about my AC since yesterday (I'm lazy with updating my viewer). I'll try to not buy stuff that adds too much to my AC, but the moment someone compares my avatar to a CoD map, I'll mute them. I can't change creators, I just want to be pretty and me. Also running around naked would be a problem for most places...

I'm not saying that you need to be a good 3D artist.

I'm saying that content creators should be creating more efficient hair/clothes/mech body parts/etcetera so you can just be pretty and be you, while enjoying less lag and much better graphics performance.

If the jellybabies feature pressures people into considering their draw weight, and the render weight of those around them, that's a good thing because it creates that demand for optimized avatar accessories.

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

Didn't it used to be excessive scripts that was the bane of a satisfactory sl experience?

Over the years people have tended to focus on one factor at a time, but it's always been multiple factors which all affect how well SL runs in different ways.

If you fill a sim with excessive scripts, it will hurt your experience by creating lag.

If you fill SL with high-poly models, it will hurt your SL experience by reducing your framerates.

If you fill SL with excessive amounts of texture data, it will hurt your SL experience by reducing framerates, making everything rez more slowly, and lagging you due to the amount of textures you constantly have to download.

You can generally make SL run a bit better by addressing any one of these issues but if you address all of them you will get the best possible SL experience.

I'm not sure the best possible SL experience is obtained by seeing everyone as solid colored blobs. I was at the beach for two weeks last month with an inadequate laptop, runing the sl viewer. I would turn everyone into jelly dolls sometimes, and saw no improvement in my frame rate, my lag,  or my general sl experience. The whole two weeks was an exercise in frustration, but not because of excesively complex avatars.

I think if you have a reasonably adequate computer, and runs with graphics setting that your computer is actually capable of coping with, seeing an occasional  avatar with a complexity of 500,000 is not gonna affect your SL experience in the slightest.

:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.