Free Male Skins of the Non-White Variety

Sion Pearl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I thought I'd take part in Dagmar Haiku's Switch Your Gender for L$0 challenge, and while I am fine for high-quality men's clothes, eyes, hunt gifts, even, wonder of wonders, a half-decent AO, I am stumped on the simple issue of a skin.

See, there are plenty of decent free skins for men out there. But they're all for white guys (or East Asian guys).

I don't believe that freebies are wholly free and hate the idea of getting something without working for it, but I am completely stumped.

Any ideas where one could start looking?

*chuckles at 'working for it'*  Would you be willing to make one?  There are free skin templates from Eloh Eliot and it includes a male skin.  I show how to make a skin using free tools and Eloh's skin templates in my blog which you can find here:

http://robin-makingstuff.blogspot.com/

Open up the February link on the sidebar and you'll see where and how to start.

robin

I actually thought about that, but I am not sure that making one counts (I have done skins from templates before) since a skin you made yourself actually costs at least L$30, assuming you get it right first time...

Hmmmmm...

Eloh Eliot's male skin was pulled off the website back in 2008 or 2009 or so. Is it back up?

My first thought when I made some free female skins for African and Native American tones (which for free didn't exist in 2009 in numbers I could find) was that I'd do up a male one too, but I had no template to work with and was not of knowledge to know how to make my own back then.

Marianne Little wrote:

Tellaq can have a skin in their Midnight Mania. I am not sure if it's a skin in the MM now, but worth to take a TP over there and look. The MM is over one of the doors, first floor.

Oooh awesome. I shall go there the very next time I log in. Ta!

Interesting, other than Shiki, I do not know of too many asian skin vendors.

In the number of places I have been to, I haven't even seen any hot asian guy-avis.

Mostly its been white guys, some tanned, some dark tanned guys, a few black guys, but no asians (other than that noob one you start off with).

Try to look at Ocean Blackthorne's photostream on Flickr. The skin he use in his "Kimono" serie is really special. It is from PK skins, they have many different ethnic skins and also not "pretty beefcake" avatars, but mature and rough looking skins. http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanblackthorne/sets/72157623283226193/

But he don't offer any free skins. You can get lucky and find a Midnight Mania skin at Tellaq, but it's not one up all the time. Tellaq has many african skins, but quite a few european and one or two asian ones. 

Finding quality male skins free is anything but simple. 

I'll amend this post later to the shop and SLurl and remove any mention of my shop. But right now I am not in world and I can only say, please go to my shop, (in my picks, all freebie) and if you get the free shape named Dwayne, the style card has a landmark for a free male African-American skin. The owner assured me that all his free skins are legal.

I got a whole box full of male avatars at One Quarter French in the freebie market. If you visit One Quarter French it's not too hard to find. Most are black or Hispanic looking, and some are pretty nice, especially for freebies.

(The other avatars there are not very good, in my opinion, but the men were OK.)

You will definately have to play around to find a look you like, though. Shape and skin don't alwyas match if you take one from one avatar and apply it to the skin from a different avatar, I found out. I had to try on a few skins after I used the sliders to make a shape I like.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

Finding quality male skins free is anything but simple. 

I'll amend this post later to the shop and SLurl and remove any mention of my shop. But right now I am not in world and I can only say, please go to my shop, (in my picks, all freebie) and if you get the free shape named Dwayne, the style card has a landmark for a free male African-American skin. The owner assured me that all his free skins are legal.

This is still on my to do list, btw.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.