Custom applier for skin with no applier available.

BackAround

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all.  I have a skin that I absolutely love for my non-mesh face.  The problem is that it doesn't have a body applier to go with it and manual matching looks aweful imo.  I am looking for someone who will build me an applier to match this skin.  It is two tones:  one brown skinned and one white guy.  I use the Slink male physique.  It is a realistic, non-body builder kind of body, strong but not roided out.  Is there anyone out there willing to build me an applier?  I will pay well.  

BackAround wrote:

I am looking for someone who will build me an applier to match this skin.  It is two tones:  one brown skinned and one white guy.  I use the Slink male physique.  It is a realistic, non-body builder kind of body, strong but not roided out.  Is there anyone out there willing to build me an applier?  I will pay well.  

when you don't own the rights to copy, modify and transfer the files that make that skin, makes what you ask is totally ILLEGAL and you risk to get a DMCA filed on your ass

The only thing you can do is ask the ORIGINAL creator. If he isnt around anymore, you'r out of luck.

Huh? Did I insult you or something? A little taken aback by the d!ckish tone of that reply. I'm asking someone to make me something that matches it, not trying to copy, modify, transfer, resell, or do anything else that would be illegal.

So answer me this: if I go to the store and buy a jacket irl, then seek out a tailor to make me a pair of pants that matches it, how is that illegal? I'm not doing anything to said jacket. I own it and want to wear it as it was intended to be worn. It's all for my own personal use and I'm not even modifying anything about it.

That is what I'm asking for. Not following your logic nor do I understand why you'd respond so rudely.

the one thats going to make your applier needs the skin textures, otherwise you would also be able to colormatch your body now yourself, thats not thát hard.

And using the bodytextures is not allowed if you don't have the permissions for that.

There's nothing rude or blunt or whatever how you take it , just straight information that you can't use your current skin to make a applier.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

the one thats going to make your applier needs the skin textures, otherwise you would also be able to colormatch your body now yourself, thats not thát hard.

And using the bodytextures is not allowed if you don't have the permissions for that.

There's nothing rude or blunt or whatever how you take it , just straight information that you can't use your current skin to make a applier.

Well...I'd like to see this appropriately tested from a legal perspective because the person making the applier ONLY needs the UUID and that is NOT a texture, it's an essentially random number, merely a pointer to an asset.

The OP could obtain the UUID from their own texture cache and provide that to the person making the applier, no texture is being transferred, copied or in fact "used".

A UUID is NOT unique, it is only statistically likely to be unique.  There's a statistical chance that I could just think up a UUID that matches another texture yet I haven't done anything wrong whatsoever and I doubt that anyone would have any success in disproving that my thought up number was anything other than a coincidence.  It's not even as if the person who owns the IP of the original texture got to create a UUID, that's just a random number generator function as a part of the upload process to the asset server.  In other words, the UUID does not belong to the texture asset uploader, it's merely an asset server reference, thus I don't see how the texture creator can claim ownership of a UUID as it's not of their own creation but merely an LL generated reference number, just as a page number is a reference to written work.

Similarly, if the OP obtains the UUID from their own PC and gets hold of the applier (Omega applier kit works?), then they could make their own applier in a matter of minutes.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Alwin Alcott wrote:

Well...I'd like to see this appropriately tested from a legal perspective because the person making the applier ONLY needs the UUID and that is NOT a texture, it's an essentially random number, merely a pointer to an asset.

The OP could obtain the UUID from their own texture cache and provide that to the person making the applier, no texture is being transferred, copied or in fact "used".

A UUID is NOT unique, it is only statistically likely to be unique.  There's a statistical chance that I could just think up a UUID that matches another texture yet I haven't done anything wrong whatsoever and I doubt that anyone would have any success in disproving that my thought up number was anything other than a coincidence.  It's not even as if the person who owns the IP of the original texture got to create a UUID, that's just a random number generator function as a part of the upload process to the asset server.  In other words, the UUID does not belong to the texture asset uploader, it's merely an asset server reference, thus I don't see how the texture creator can claim ownership of a UUID as it's not of their own creation but merely an LL generated reference number, just as a page number is a reference to written work.

Similarly, if the OP obtains the UUID from their own PC and gets hold of the applier (Omega applier kit works?), then they could make their own applier in a matter of minutes.

so its ok to use the  slcache***er too... you only use the things you "own" already...

you only pay for the USE of the skin, not the componentst where it's made of.

Using uuid's as so is the same level as copybotting.

That's exactly what he would be doing. Using the asset, not the components I.e. texture from which it is made.

If I were to give him an applier, using the UUID, then how is he using something he didn't have a licence to use?

If I don't use the texture but merely stick a number in a notecard, I'm not using it either.

Now, if I were to reference textures via UUID and derive benefit from products I'm selling then that's not ethical but it is NOT copying either. As I said, get it legally tested.

LL really should have a better method of securing assets but that's another discussion.

Sassy Romano wrote:

If I were to give him an applier, using the UUID, then how is he using something he didn't have a licence to use?

If I don't use the texture but merely stick a number in a notecard, I'm not using it either.

Now, if I were to reference textures via UUID and derive benefit from products I'm selling then that's not ethical but it is NOT copying either. As I said, get it legally tested.

LL really should have a better method of securing assets but that's another discussion.

yes you do use something you didn't pay for nor got the license to do so. OP bought the skin to use, not the uuid or any other use of the textures that are the base of that skin.

The texture will be shown and used on something it's never made for by the creator, not did he ever give permission for it.

You can keep saying the texture isn't used but it IS.

OP should buy a new skin and new fitting applier if this one isn't available, or live with the fact it doesn't fit perfectly.

Yes it's a thin line, but i keep to it as illegal and not allowed.

You simply defend now it's allowed to use sl cach****er and rip all textures you see, and use them.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

yes you do use something you didn't pay for nor got the license to do so. OP bought the skin to use, not the uuid or any other use of the textures that are the base of that skin.

The texture will be shown and used on something it's never made for by the creator, not did he ever give permission for it.

You can keep saying the texture isn't used but it IS.

OP should buy a new skin and new fitting applier if this one isn't available, or live with the fact it doesn't fit perfectly.

Yes it's a thin line, but i keep to it as illegal and not allowed.

You simply defend now it's allowed to use sl cach****er and rip all textures you see, and use them.

He has paid for a licence to use the skin (which is represented by the UUID which is a result of the upload of the texture).

He is referencing exactly the same asset that he has a licence to use.  Here's the fun part, copyright covers damages for financial compensation.  If there is no applier for sale, there can be no loss.

I'm not defending the use of slcacheviewer.exe and no textures are being ripped at this point.  Plus, there's no need to use such a tool, the UUID's are already in the clear in the cache of ANY user who has viewed the asset.

Again, it's all up for legal test but it will never get there so it's all moot. :)

No. People are lazy.  If you, as a creator offer me a snazzy applier with the skin options on nice buttons, cleavage here, non cleavage there, ripped abs there,  soft toned body here, there is no way I am going to bother messing with the uuids myself.

I know how to do it of course. I would never bother unless the creator has left SL, closed shop or does not respond to contact.

And I don't think any of the regular non-creator SL userbase will do it either, if the appliers are there for them to buy.

It will take too much of my personal play time.

For faces, you must rework the texture to match. The topography of the different mesh heads can use the SL skin template but my, how horrible they can look around the eyes, mouth corners and nostrils. An skin in an Omega applier looks different on the different heads.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Not anymore. Textures for classic avatar clothing and skins are no longer downloaded, only the temporary serverside baked ones are. That is, if the clothing or skin is modifiable you can trigger a texture download by opening an edit window for it but you can't just by wearing it anymore.

Skin textures were always a bit tricky anyway since there are slight differences in the UV mapping between classic and mesh avatars.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.