Blocking the ''inspect'' option

Adams Scarmon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello community and Linden Lab,

Before you all jump at my throat and tell me how horrible I am for wanting to block the inspect option, please hear me out.

As a male mesh avatar owner I can tell you first hand that it is very hard to create a unique look. The mesh bodies and heads made it challenging and with the limited (GOOD QUALITY) mesh clothes available it becomes a mastery of it's own to be unique.

To see me trying to create a nice unique look (and often suceeding) and then after a couple of days see other people wear the same thing I was, or all of a sudden owning the same jewelry/sunglasses/etc, makes me a bit sad. People don't put their own thought or creativity in their looks anymore. In a way its a compliment but for someone who has put a lot of time into their looks it is frustrating to see someone be able to just inspect and copy everything without thinking or having to do any searching for himself.

So I want to BLOCK inspecting, just how I can BLOCK avatars-lookat or avatars in general.

Maybe the firestorm developers could build it in their viewer.. Would be amazing.

you can... and i'ts pretty simple, there are special anti inspect wearables.

Some think to be so smart to use that and pay for it.......

( read below )

.just pitty they forget that with one click the wearable is derendered and inspect works perfectly again :)

don't make a problem what is no problem... see it as compliment that they want to copy you.

BTW now you say you look this great, perhaps also show it on your profile... it's totally blank :)

There's also the 'what is she wearing' HUD, which is free on marketplace.  It works on chaps as well.  You can't stop people checking out your attachments, but texture layers are still safe and private.  So that's a thought.  You could go 2008 retro and no one would have a clue what you had on, nor any desire to copy you.  Problem solved.

I normally ask people where they got some item.  Most people take it as the compliment it is intended to be.

Other people use any one of a number of free Inspect HUDS you find on the Market Place that will tell you everything that is attached to an avatar.

Either way, whether scripted or right-click in world, there is really no way to prevent someone from seeing what you are wearing.

They might not even be inspecting you, or ever have met you.

Given the limited number of male mesh clothes you speak of, the people 'copying' you could just be reading the same blogs, visiting the same stores and attending the same fairs as you. Something new and impressive appears and everyone buys it. I see the same thing with stores that cater to specific styles and interests in women's clothes: everyone into that scene will buy the new release soon after it appears. Not everyone is copying; they're just into the same thing.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I don't think Firestorm could add this to the viewer features since there are scripts that can get the information.

Correct.

Firestorm actually has a feature that lets you easily see a list of all avatars attachments (except HUDs attached to other avatars) & creator profile for every avatar on the region. If that feature was removed, there would be screams  ;)

For those curious - World -> Area Search -> Filter -> Set to show only attachments.

I'm alone on the region so only my own attachments are listed in these results.

Thanks Whirly. I lost a set of 119LI wings in my sim and that will be the trick to find them.

Back on topic: I've been using my own script though. It's pretty trivial.

key avatar;default{    touch_start(integer num)    {        avatar = llGetObjectDesc();                integer i = 0;        list AttachedNames;        list AttachedUUIDs = llGetAttachedList(avatar);        while (i < llGetListLength(AttachedUUIDs) )        {            list temp = llGetObjectDetails(llList2Key(AttachedUUIDs,i),[OBJECT_NAME]);            AttachedNames += [llList2String(temp,0)];            ++i;        }        llOwnerSay("\n" + llDumpList2String(AttachedNames,"\n"));    }}

Put in a prim, attach as a HUD, put the person's UUID you want to scan in the description and click it.

Sorry OP, you are SOL for no mod things, BUT for mod things, link a prim you rez as the root and give it a name like "My Unique Special Ring"

There is a solution to being unique.

Learn to make your own stuff!

I have plenty of things that nobody else has. If you don't want to invest the time in learning and I can understand that, pay for a unique item by commissioning it to be created.

The question is "how much is it worth to be unique?"

Adams Scarmon wrote:

I guess women don't have this problem because there are sooooooo many more things available for women it is impossible to run into someone who looks just like you.

Its not impossible at all. I regularly buy at a shopping event, that is visited by hundreds of people each day (the sim is full around the clock for almost seven days each round) and so there must be a huge number of female avatars buying the same things I buy. But there are in general very very many female avatars, each probably with big inventories and constantly changing outfits. And I think those factors also make it much more unlikely for women to run into 'clones'.

Adams Scarmon wrote:

I guess women don't have this problem because there are sooooooo many more things available for women it is impossible to run into someone who looks just like you.

Not in my experience, as I mentioned earlier. Particularly if you are into a specific scene or style. For instance, there's a very popular, relatively high-end latex store. When a new outfit comes out, lots of latex fans will snap it up and wear it to the next fetish dance. Sometimes I've seen a dozen people in the same outfit looking daggers at each other.

Kelli May wrote:

Adams Scarmon wrote:

Not in my experience, as I mentioned earlier. Particularly if you are into a specific scene or style. For instance, there's a very popular, relatively high-end latex store. When a new outfit comes out, lots of latex fans will snap it up and wear it to the next fetish dance. Sometimes I've seen a dozen people in the same outfit looking daggers at each other.

I think I even know which store you are talking about. :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: I think I have a couple of their outfits, too.

I think it should be fairly obvious to you based on what you said about a lack of items for men that there is the chance that someone else can have a similar style to yours. There is not much in the way of mesh objects for men to choose from. I have a male alt that I draw inspiration from bloggers and also from other avatars in world. The marketplace is a little too disorganized for males as well. My only options for updating my alt's look are blogs, events, and other residents. 

I can understand the frustration of seeing someone that looks EXACTLY like you, but its unfortunately unavoidable for others to have items that you own. 

• 2 weeks later...

You mention that with mesh bodies and mesh heads it's hard to be unique.. simple solution, make your own shape. Mesh bodies just go off of the shape you have, so if you're using the shape and head that you bought with the body then yes, you have a TON of clones. Having a unique face goes a loooong way towards not looking like anyone else. Even if someone else has the same clothes, your face and hair and accessories can set you on a pedestal of your own. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.