Avatar looks 'uglier' when not in shape editing mode?

Nyx Drezelan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've noticed that my avatar looks a bit uglier and less detailed when I'm out walking around in normal mode, versus when in shape editing mode; which version of my avatar to others see?? I'd rather have them see the better one of course, but am not sure what is happening and how I can 'fix' this

This is probably the age old lighting issue. 

Default lighting in SL is HORRIBLE. When you edit your shape, however, unless you have this feature disabled, there is a light that comes on automatically. It mitigates that horrible lighting, removing many of the shadows that make your avatar look "ugly."

Anyone who uses default lighting sees what you see, and there's no good way to fix it. To fix it on your screen, however, you can changed your windlight settings. I can't tell you where these are in the official viewer - in Firestorm, it's under "World." I use Nam's Optimal Prim 2, but any bright setting will work. Again, this only affects what you see on your screen. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about what others see. Most of us have noticed what you have, and have changed our settings already. Those who haven't obviously aren't bothered by it. 

a facelight is NO windlight.

Do not use a facelight you will look like a walking lighthouse for other residents.

Next to that you will spoil the carefully made experience of many sims where the creator spended a lot of work to let it look at is best.

When you wear a facelight your name will be added at many blocked and derendered lists by people who simply click the disturbance away.

Facelights are a BAD IDEA. If you really, really can't stand the idea of other people seeing you with shadows due to poor lighting, you can look for a VERY GENTLE, mild facelight. I can almost guarantee that freebie you just picked up isn't a good one. To check:

Wait for "night." Wear your facelight, with local lights enabled in your preferences, and zoom out. How bright are you? If your entire avatar is a walking beacon, or if you're visible from more than a few "feet" away, your facelight is too bright. You look like a walking flashlight, and I, personally, would block you. It ruins the enviroment. (If your facelight is clearly visible during the day, again, it's too bright.)

For some people, they're not, but they really do have a way of ruining the environment for everyone around you. Here's an old thread with a great picture for what other people might see. It's the third post down. You can see, in the second picture, that even the person in the center of the picture, whose facelight is very mild compared to others', is pretty much wearing her own beacon. It kind of sucks for everyone else in the venue. 

(Don't feel bad - I wore one for months, myself, until I realized what they looked like to everyone else! I wish I knew how to get to windlights on the official viewer, but I haven't used it for years. I moved to Phoenix, then over to Firestorm, so the official viewer is a mystery to me!)

Most who care about these things will use a windlight setting.  You might try Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim while you change clothes, skin, hair etc.  Otherwise, just use the WL you enjoy.

You cannot control how others see you because they will each be using the WL they prefer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.