Avatar Physics not consistent across different computers

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have two Macs sitting side by side on my desk here. One is a 2013 Macbook Pro laptop, the other a 2011 iMac

Macbook Pro: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

iMac: AMD Radeon HD 675M 512 MB

Last night I had myself and alt both sitting in my skybox. I often park an alt there with the iMac because it has better speakers, and then run around SL on my account with the MacBook because it has better graphics.

But having them both in the same spot, and both running dance animations, caused me to notice that avatar physics did not behave the same on both machines.

On the iMac the alt had a lot more 'motion' to her bosom, and it was smooth. On the iMac, there was barely any motion at all, and her bosom would just 'shift' from side to side with a more sudden 'jump'.

- Kind of the opposite of how I expected different their graphics cards, if there were to be problems.

But I also expected this, as something on the SL side, to basically be the same on both.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can to make the Macbook's jerky motions more smooth. I may have dialed up my avatar physics 'too high' because I am usually looking at the Macbook - and this may be causing the rest of SL to see my avatar as 'bouncing all over the place'... :P

The 675M is faster than the 750M, it's that middle digit that gives the biggest clue to performance. I pulled the benchmark numbers from this page...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The 750M scores 1305, the 675M scores 2115.

You don't say what size your iMac is, but even if it's a 27" (2560x1440 pixels), it's got fewer pixels than the MacBook Pro (2880x1800). If you've got a 21" iMac (1920x1080), the difference in pixel count is 2.5:1. The laptop has to push far more pixels with a slower GPU. At equivalent settings you'll see lower frame rates and more jerky motion on the laptop, just as you've seen.

Retina displays are beautiful, but they degrade performance. I've held off purchasing a new iMac because even the fastest current model is about half as fast as my 2012 iMac in SL.

I expect the difference you see in motion magnitude is due to different physics settings in the two viewers. What others see will depend on their physics settings, not yours. I have avatar physics turned off, so I wouldn't see any jiggling on your avatar, regardless of your settings. You've got two computers in front of you, so this is easy to demonstrate. Turn physics off on one and watch what happens when you move the avatars. Both will lose their bounce on one machine but have it on the other.

Viewer wise I hav the same settings on both. Bot have 'Avatar Physics' set to 1, and its the same avatar wearing the same item - watching side by side on two viewers.

I switched which computer each was logged into, and the effect remains that the macBook sees very little while the iMac sees too much.

As you can't trust your computers to give you an accurate indication on boob bounce, why not invite a few close friends over and get some sort of consensus from them as to what setting looks right to them. The result may still look wrong to you, too high or too low depending on what machine you're using, but hopefully will be correct for the general SL populace.

Personally, I find boob bounce quite variable depending on what sim I'm in and how busy it is and often dial it in way too high I expect.

Well, I just (re)learned a thing or two. I apparently forgot that avatar physics was changed five years ago and doesn't work the way I described. If you wear a physics layer, other people will see you as you've set yourself up. I must have known about this some time back, as I recorded this video of Snugs. And this must have required a physics layer...

If you're seeing different effects with the same setting on different computers, I'll guess it's related to graphics workload. Your laptop is working much harder to push all those extra pixels. If frame rate somehow works into the physics, you might see motion that's both more choppy and lesser in degree. The mesh deformation code routines might run at lower priority than other calculations, so as the computer gets more bogged down, avatar physics gets pushed to the side.

• 2 years later...

Ancient necro-post because I was noticing this today, went to look and see who might have reported it before... and found out it was me... :)

Anyway... the Radeon 6700M machine that has very "stiff" physics (dials almost all maxed out, but see almost no bounce) - is showing me 18.5 fps.

The nVidea GT 650M with very active physics, is at 15.9 fps.

But of course... the Radeon is a 2011 GPU on an iMac, the nVidea is a 2013 GPU on a Macbook Pro.

Curiously... today... they are flipped from what I reported 2 years ago. Today it is the Macbook with good motion and the iMac that is bad...

I was thinking recently.... "this is why when I finally build my own PC, I will have to remember to get an nVidia card", but I now see that 2 years ago the issue here was flipped, on the same machines...

That just means I am totally baffled as to the cause...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.