Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I have just noticed that my AVI-guy is floating about .5 ft. above the ground. (I'm new) I think I would have noticed this before - he doesn't have anything on or applied to him that would likely cause this feet "hovering."

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can set the Firestorm viewer to - keep his feet on the ground - no matter where he is?

I may have caused this while experimenting with the viewer controls. 

Thanks!

James (Cerebrogasm)

If you are using the Firestorm viewer, in the lower right corner you'll see the phoenix logo. Hit that and see what your hover is set at. Also, be sure you are standing on Linden land and not on a mesh floor or a sculpted land with a collision prim. The collision between your avi and what you are standing on can make it look like you're hovering.

adjust the hover hieght, and no there si nothing you can do that will make the feet always be on the ground, but every time the feet are to high, or to low make an adjustment. IDK if its easier with guys since the typically wear flat shoes all the time, where we girls have shoes of various hights that might cause mor eissues but i am always adjusting the hight, like almost every day.

Thanks Bobbie,

A foot form? 

I have a TMP Mesh Avatar. I'm not sure where the "foot form" is in the Inventory the vendor supplied when I purchased the "Deluxe" Avatar," unless you mean the file that contains his feet and hands? 

I could buy a pair of sneakers for him at "TheShops!" (the white room) - does something like that contain the "foot form" you wrote about?

He's been on sand terrain frequently, is that where the foot form is somehow worn, but invisible?

Several long time users have told me that they keep the Appearance / Hover Height controller on their screen mostly all of the time - is that recommended?

I'm guessing there are some elevation rules when building a sim that Linden Labs recommends - which are ignored or impossible to comply with - is that why so many Avatars keep the Hover Control permanently active on their Firestorm viewers?

Thanks!

James

Cerebrogasm wrote:

Thanks Bobbie,

A foot form? 

I have a TMP Mesh Avatar. I'm not sure where the "foot form" is in the Inventory the vendor supplied when I purchased the "Deluxe" Avatar," unless you mean the file that contains his feet and hands? 

I could buy a pair of sneakers for him at "TheShops!" (the white room) - does something like that contain the "foot form" you wrote about?

He's been on sand terrain frequently, is that where the foot form is somehow worn, but invisible?

Several long time users have told me that they keep the Appearance / Hover Height controller on their screen mostly all of the time - is that recommended?

I'm guessing there are some elevation rules when building a sim that Linden Labs recommends - which are ignored or impossible to comply with - is that why so many Avatars keep the Hover Control permanently active on their Firestorm viewers?

Thanks!

James

You can make a "foot form" instantly - go to your appearance panel, click on the gear icon at the lower left corner, select "New Clothes" and then "New Shoes." This will create a wearable item that will largely be invisible with a mesh avatar (it's hidden by the body alpha) but will allow you to fine-tune your height.

You'll find that most avatars appear to be slightly above the ground when you look at their feet closely straight-on. This is because the animations Second Life uses aren't sophisticated enough to know exactly where the ground is. The avatar is treated by the physics engine as if it was just a box set on the ground and the animations play at a fixed speed and height. If the avatar was exactly on the ground when at rest, many animations would cause the feet to dig through the ground. Keeping the avatar slightly above ground level makes this less of an issue and the default downward view means the slight floating isn't usually noticeable from this point-of-view.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.