2 Avatars

SecretSmiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am still fairly young in SL but i was just wondering if it was possible to have 2 sepreate avatars with obviously seperate names? 

Like can i create another avi seperate to the one i am currently playing? 

Sorry if this sounds really silly, but like i said i'm still young to SL :) 

Many thanks, 

SecretSmiles

Yes, it is possible. 

You'll have to create what's called an "alt" - alternate avatar/alternate account. As far as LL is concerned, each account will belong to a different person, have its own completely separate inventory, etc. They will not be connected in any way, except that you own them both. The second account will have whatever name you give it on sign up, just like this one does. You'll be able to get into both. 

A word of caution: Do not use the same email address for the second account that you used for this one. Doing so can sometimes create problems, especially if you ever need to reset your password for either account. If you don't have a second email account, you can create one, so long as you remember the information for it. If you lose both the email and password for an account, it can still be reset, but it's a bit of a pain.

An alt is often good to have as a backup. It is you but isnt. You never know what LLs is likely to do so it is best to have an alternative. Seprate inventory. If you build on your main account like i do, I always send my alt a copy of what I build. Often you hear about people with more then 1 alt but thats not neccery. One alt is good enough for back up. Besides shopping for 2 can be fun especialy haveing mostly free things for your alt.

I see you've created an alt. Should you ever create a group, make sure you immediately enroll your alt in it. Groups are automatically deleted (and cannot be recovered, nor can the name be reused) after 48 hours with less than two members. Your alt becomes your method for preserving the group.

Welcome to SL, youngster!

The only problem I have found is that some of the redelivery terminals in SL will confuse my alts and send items I bought for one account to another one instead...

Which is... interesting...

Other times if I have bought the same item for self and an alt... they will only send an update or redelivery to the first one that logs in or clicks for the update... and I have to bug somebody down the road to get the other updated...

Some system out there that handles these things, is obviously tracking info it should not be.

Here's an option that might be worth considering. You could create your alt as a separate outfit (or several outfits), using completely different genders, shapes, and wardrobe. And I've read that there is a kind of script that some roleplayers use called a titler, which places custom text above your name. Between a titler displaying an alternate name and some different avatar outfits, you can make an alt without having two accounts (thus charing inventory and not needing multiple logins). There would be some obvious drawbacks to this, but it's a quick and dirty way to pull it off.

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

Here's an option that might be worth considering. You could create your alt as a separate outfit (or several outfits), using completely different genders, shapes, and wardrobe. And I've read that there is a kind of script that some roleplayers use called a titler, which places custom text above your name. Between a titler displaying an alternate name and some different avatar outfits, you can make an alt without having two accounts (thus charing inventory and not needing multiple logins). There would be some obvious drawbacks to this, but it's a quick and dirty way to pull it off.

No.

That would be just a different outfit and not an "alternative account', which is what ALT stands for.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.