You are currently in the Blog Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Blogs can be found here.

Join the Discussion on SL Enterprise

by Honored Resident Blue Linden on ‎11-04-2009 09:06 AM

Talk with us about the news of SL Enterprise, the behind-the-firewall solution for Second Life.

Comments
by Member Deltango Vale
on ‎11-12-2009 07:32 PM
Second Life is made of dreams and the heart in each of its residents, 
Linden Lab provides the world of SL, the technology and more it is 
developed, will best benefit the residents. Are the people has make 
Second Life wonderful with their dreams. Linden Lab provides us with all
 the services and tools such as Xstrett, advertising, blogs and 
assistance, but we must be ourself find and realize what we feel in our 
hearts and this makes Second Life great.

Yes, the technology of Second Life is important (in absolute terms), but it's unimportant (in relative terms) compared to the social economy that resides on the technology. For example, the world produces more food and manufactured goods (of higher quality and variety) relative to population than ever before in human history, yet agriculture now represents only about 5% of global economic activity and manufacturing about 10%. The vast bulk of the world's economic activity (about 85% of a much bigger pie) is in services.

Linden Lab sells two products: a technological platform, representing perhaps 5% of its revenue stream, and a 'country', a 'political economy', a 'playing field', a 'social chessboard' representing perhaps 95% of its revenue stream. If Linden Lab could realize that people come to the 'New World' because it is not the 'Old World', then Linden Lab would catch the biggest wave since Magellan. To quote William Shakespeare:

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.

by Honored Resident Kwame Oh
on ‎11-12-2009 11:30 PM

Thank you Ceera for clarifying the position which we suspected from the get go, and must admit am disappointed that since this announcement, and the subsequent opening of this comments space we again get a deafening silence from the Labs with regards fears individuals or businesses might have.

In my question here earlier I asked if Linden Labs had rights to all content on the main grid, and whether they could then monetize that content in Enterprise, and from your comment I can now presume this is the case?

And not being technically minded is it too late to take down all our textures and watermark them, as it is not the lack of compensation for this whole sale of content by the Labs we are fundamentally against, but the lack of credit given for the work?

Would much appreciate anyones response to this question.

Julius Sowu Marketing Director & Owner Virtually-Linked London

by Contributor Ceera Murakami
on ‎11-13-2009 06:41 AM

Kwame Oh asked:

"In my question here earlier I asked if Linden Labs had rights to all content on the main grid, and whether they could then monetize that content in Enterprise, and from your comment I can now presume this is the case?

And not being technically minded is it too late to take down all our textures and watermark them, as it is not the lack of compensation for this whole sale of content by the Labs we are fundamentally against, but the lack of credit given for the work?"

LL has no rights to monetize our main-grid content on other grids, or even here on the main grid, for that matter. They can't, for example, provide the textures that I create and sell at TRU as Library content for one of one of their SLE bundles. Not without a signed contract from me and payment to me for that right. For example, when LL wanted to add more new avatars to the Library, they requested submissions from avatar makers who would volunteer to provide some new starter avatars for newbies and all SL users. And they only used the ones they selected after getting permission from the makers. They didn't just rip off content that various Avatar makers offer for sale, or even distribute as freebies.

LL's rights to our IP are limited to allowing our work to exist on their servers, allowing their infrastructure to provide our work to our customers and to render our work so our customers and others can see it or interact with it as approptriate to its use, and allows them to use images of in-world things in the creation of normal promotional materials created to advertise SL. Even in the case of the ad images, the same copyright rules apply as with commercial photography. You can use an image of a street scene and not worry that the guy on the park bench in the lower left corner has a recognizable can of soda in his hand, or that there's 15 cars of various makes and models in the image. But if you prominently focus in on a specific car, or on that person, or that soda can, you should get appropriate signed releases to use it in your image.

As for watermarking, if a texture has been available in-world without a watermark, it's too late to add one now. The existing copies with no watermark can be used to extract the watermark data from the watermarked copies of the same texture, and if you used the exact same watermark on all your textures, that might even enable a determined thief to remove that specific watermark from future textures. Adding a strong, invisible watermark to NEW textures is not a bad idea, if you can afford the time and the registration expenses.

by Member Sitearm Madonna
on ‎11-13-2009 08:42 AM

LL has no rights to monetize our main-grid content on other grids, or even here on the main grid, for that matter.
Ceera Murakami

@Ceera: Yes!
@Kwame: Ceera is correct. And even better than the agreement in writing is the underlying economic driver. Linden Lab could never create the quality and volume of content created by residents, which attracts the worldwide "buzz" and more residents. Therefore Linden Lab must as a corporate entity honor resident created content not only as a matter of policy but of self interest and necessity.

on ‎11-13-2009 08:47 AM

@Deltango: OMG, Shakespeare, how cool!!

This isn't The Bard but...
"Never has so much - Second Life Content - been created by so many - Second Life Residents - for so few - Linden Lab Employees."

Ok, ok, LL has done a lot to but it would wreck the joke; and to quote My Grandad...
"Never let facts get in the way of telling a good joke."

Cheers! : )
Site

on ‎11-13-2009 08:59 AM

@Nano: I love this idea! And I love how there are a handful of posts so far in this thread explaining the barriers to getting it done, which is the FIRST step to makeing anything happen.

This idea appeals to me for (off the top of my head) several reasons:
. The spirit of dag-nabbit freedom: who am dem gubbermint suckin'-up-to-lobbyists, so-and-so's ferbiddin' ahr rahts to gamble ahn-lyne?
. Love of people banding together for wildly improbable but fun, "it-might-just-work" projects
. It's a perfect example of where a private 3D Internet platform would not only be sustainable due to demand but a necessity due to public constraints

According to rumor (i.e., I read it in the blog somewhere). Open SIm has about half the script functionality of SL so far. But as we know several people are using Open Sim happily already for things like music concerts. So get yerself sum perfessional skriptors n' loyyers and let's get 'er dun!

*apologies for my caricature of my teksus akksent*

by Linden
on ‎11-13-2009 09:38 AM

Hey there, I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to answer many of these questions posed in this discussion. It's been crazy whirlwind of a week and a half, needless to say. There are a few posts that raise concerns around how LL will deal with IP and content on SLE and I want to address that issue now. Let me be really clear.

SLE customers will need to affirm your IP ownership prior to moving any content—they must identify the Second Life names of your employees who created content. And, if they wish to transfer any content created by a Resident (meaning--you: content creators and inworld merchants), then they must provide Linden Lab with a signed written permission from that Resident (you), the content creator. So, those who purchased your content within Second Life cannot move it to the SL Enterprise environment without your expressed written permission.

We deeply value and honor your IP rights. But, I hear your frustration. We have not done a good job listening to your needs, in general. That's going to change. So...I would love to set up some 1:1 time with many of you to better understand your concerns and to explore how we might work together to grow your businesses--in SL and down the road--SLE. If you're interested, then let me know and let's put something on cals. No promises on anything, other than an open mind and a clear line of communication.

In the meantime, I'm going to go through every post here and try to answer as much as I can today. Stay tuned.

by Honored Resident Kwame Oh
on ‎11-13-2009 10:43 AM

I thank Ceera, for answering my question, and sitearm for seconding the motion, and to Amanda welcome to the discussion, "a not to subtle dig, but got to get it off my chest :-)"

We must all things being equal take all on face value, and presume to think fairness with regard IP will be shown in the future, but ! like all things these days with the presures to monetize who can tell.

I would further state on Amanda's tardiness for lack of a better description, these blogs are the face of client/customer relations with regard Linden Lab, and as such the future clients of Enterprise if they have any sense will peruse these blogs for client  attitudes in general and as such this is one of the first points of call for future clients before making what could in some cases a major investments, and as there would have to be a sales team to go flog this new product , why make their job harder. "cannot help myself another gentle dig"

Have constantly banged on about the three horsemen transparency, credibility and community which are the driving forces in most of our decision making, as we lunge headlong towards 2010 and I speak about the community globally not just Virtual World, and as we are all on the same page regarding the providing the capability for more to join this new place we reside in Virtual worlds, of which it does make sense to create a product like enterprise lets be cautious we do not over reach in our attempts to get there "see cannot help myself "

Again thanks for the reply and good luck on your new product. and see you all for the 2012 Olympics in London.

Julius Sowu Marketing Director & Owner Virtually-Linked London

by Linden
on ‎11-13-2009 10:48 AM

I hear ya and it's a totally fair point. Will try to get into the discussions earlier.

by New Resident Artiman Piers
on ‎11-13-2009 11:32 AM

Most animation is surreal to me--but there is something capitvating about SL.  Looking foward to "seeing" creative interpretations of "life."

by Linden
on ‎11-13-2009 12:03 PM

Ok, here’s the roundup to your questions. Glenn, Madhavi, and Jessica (an SLE customer) have already chimed on many questions, so I’m filling in what I can on the rest. (Big thanks to Site, too.)

Ralph: Yes, the SLE runs on a separate server and has a web control panel for the administrator.

Folks who have questions about price: We are not discussing anything past the one-time $55K annual fee for the server and license for 100 avatars. There’s an annual recurring fee based on the number of users licensed that starts at $175/user and goes down based on volume from there.  If you, or a client, is interested, then please contact us at business@lindenlab.com and we can discuss specifics in the context of an opportunity.

Nany: Yep, since the SLE solution is completely private, organizations can bring in anyone, of any age, into it as would presumably be true with the content on their internal networks. So, this is a great solution for larger educational institutions, with data centers, that have students over and under 18 in the same classes.

Content created in SLE cannot be transferred into SL as the SLE content is under a different licensing structure, so they cannot sell content on XstreeSL.

And, yes—SLE customers can host events in that environment, but avatars from the public (outside their network) would need to be registered by the administrator beforehand.

Sharle: No, SLE does not integrate with corporate messaging systems today.

Steven: The 10 multi-cultural avatars included with SLE are just standard avatars. If an SLE customer creates their own avatars and/or purchases them from a content creator and has expressed written permission to move them into SLE, then they can have as many as they like.

Ceera: Server specs. Great question. We have a technical white paper with that information for those that are seriously considering SLE. I plan to also release it to the public shortly.

SLE is completely separate from SL. So, it has a completely separate asset server. It also has a separate client (almost identical to the regular SL Viewer) and login. There’s also no way for main grid accounts to be connected to SLE accounts. Completely separate inventories, names, etc.

The system comes as an appliance, completely loaded and installed. So, putting it on your own hardware is not an option. But, it’s a pretty beefy machine.

Jessica: The app store model is just how we’re thinking about the SL Work Marketplace! Right now, it’s just for SLE, but we also want to eventually expand it into SL. We’ll see how the pilot/alpha goes…

Zena/Medhue and others with content transfer concerns: We do the transfer of content from SL to SLE by hand, so there’s no sneaking in unauthorized content without us knowing about it.

Toysoldier: I worked at Novell, directly in the Exec Communications team in the mid 90’s. I ran Eric Schmidt’s competitive War Room. I know the story well and there are lessons there, but the issues were more complicated than what you describe. But, there are lessons from Novell, Compuserve, AOL, and others…. We have a laser focus on the issues you describe—believe me.

Tesla: The SLE has dedicated support people and we are also in the process of developing channel partnerships to manage the service and support of our customers. Look for announcements on that in coming months.

Ok, other questions, lemme know. I'll be watching more closely....

on ‎11-13-2009 12:09 PM

Thank you, Amanda. I hope that you take the time to read through all this and reply to most of the concerns. There's some carefully thought out material here, even if a lot of it seems to be complaining.

As for IP transfer, you'll need to make sure that the Enterprise Marketplace, when it becomes available, also has that sort of "select vendor, obtain license and then transfer" functionality that you'll be using for the initial manual content transfers. For example, let's say I were to offer, on the Marketplace, a box of 1,000 of my best building textures, all certified as my own creations, all business-appropriate, to be available full-perms for use on the purchasing company's SLE mini-grid. I would want, BEFORE they buy and transfer, to have them able to contact me to arrange for and sign a end user licensing agreement and a contract with me. That contract would allow them to legally use those textures on ONE SLE server pair. If they want to own 4 SLE server pairs, they would legally need to buy it for each pair, and not just "buy once, then pass it around" within their company. If they sign and agree to the contract, and pay the required amount, then they get permission to download the textures to their sim and place them in their asset server's Library, or make them available to their employees by other means. And the price would be pretty high, because I'd only get that one fee, and they could pass them out to 800 or more employees to use. But I would have a written contract and a record that they purchased a license to use that mega-texture-bundle on their "Aloha-9" SLE server pair at ThumbTwiddler Corp's Hilo, Hawaii data center.

To play devil's advocate, there are SOME use cases that I can certainly see for SLE.

For example, a mid to large scale architectural firm could use SLE to create virtual walk-through models of buildings and homes that they are designing for clients, enabling the client to use a temporary "Client016 ArchitectWonders" account to walk through the mini-grid representation, and see the results of moving a window here, or placing a door over there instead of in that other wall, or making a window bigger. You could do that just fine in 8 or fewer sims, with 100 or fewer accounts. And one multi-million-dollar downtown urban-renewal design contract could easily pay for it as a line item. While there are CAD products today that can, to some extent, create visible 3D models out of detailed CAD plans, most are pretty expensive, and have limited accessibility. SL and SLE certainly have limits in accurately representing architectural detail, but it could be a great tool for making proposals for designs and getting user specification feedback.

by Member Toysoldier Thor
on ‎11-13-2009 01:30 PM

Amanda.Linden wrote:

Toysoldier: I worked at Novell, directly in the Exec Communications team in the mid 90’s. I ran Eric Schmidt’s competitive War Room. I know the story well and there are lessons there, but the issues were more complicated than what you describe. But, there are lessons from Novell, Compuserve, AOL, and others…. We have a laser focus on the issues you describe—believe me.

Ohhh Yes I know it was a lot more complex then my summary but I surely didnt think everyone wanted a war&peace novel description.  But the sumamry of what hppened was that NOVELL lost focus and made some fundamental strategic mistakes and history has clearly shown the result of their decisions.  A POWERFUL IT EMPIRE LOST.

In a way it is good that someone with intimate knowledge of Novell at that era and all the bad mistakes that took Novell down is on LL's team.  It also is a bit scary if you are on the team and you are convinced it was not because of Novell's poor decisions that Novell fell from grace.

BTW... my association with Novell went back further than Eric as I met him, Ray Noorda, and Robert Frankenberg while on my many years as a member of the Novell Strategic Partners Alliance program as one of the Representative of basically Novell's largest partner at the time, PLUS I had intimate knowledge of Novell and its products before and during and after Eric's reign.  I was also a share holding victim

Unlike the Novell Exec team, we had a more unbiased outsider view and unfortunatley - regardless of the advice Novell was getting from many external forces - ego emotion and poor strategy destroyed Novell as an empire.  They are now just another IT company trying to find their way back to glory - that wont happen.

So, of course it was more complex than what I said, but the meat and potatos of story was NOVELL SCREWED Up.

And I am telling you Amanda, SLE is in for some VERY ROUGH waters if LL's objective is to penetrate a piece of the Collaboration market.  Your team will have to take the rose colored glasses off cause I personally cannot see SLE being a serious player in this market except for some niche wins.

PS... I think SLE as a product that isolates itself from the Main Grid is another big mistake.  Why, because any potential SLE customer would see a unique value proposition in having STORE FRONT interface with the potential advertising and marketing to the main grid with your private area.  By isolating SLE completely... you have cut off one of the few unique values SLE could offer over competing products.

Just my opinions...

Good Luck to your team though.

by Member Toysoldier Thor
on ‎11-13-2009 01:36 PM
SLE or not. it doesnt matter to me as long as if work continues on SL. for example, whatever happened to the megaprims thing.  or the ability to import obj or other meshes.  LL doesnt have to give up the SL to be SLE. but im am afraid LL is not big enough to continue with SL and SLE.

That is my fear and what i mean that LL will decide its time to take on bigger challenges while ROME BURNS on the current SL & XSTREET technologies.

They have already admitted that they are majorly strapped on development resources - but for some reason they fell they can now play with the big boys in Enterprise Collaboration where there actually is competition - something basically LL management has not really experienced yet.

I described all this in a previous post, but you are dead on... that is my fear too.  LL wants to move on to bigger and more challenging targets.

by Honored Resident Glenn Linden
on ‎11-13-2009 01:41 PM

Ceera,

We require signed releases from the individual or company submitting content, and they must include signed releases for all content from other content providers - so yes, they will have to contact you before they submit a region to us for review and packaging.  Our review includes checking ownership of every single item on the region - script, prim and texture - and we won't release a region until all ownership matches signed releases.

We take individual content rights seriously, and have worked carefully from both the technical and legal side to protect those rights carefully in what is allowed to SLEnterprise.

on ‎11-13-2009 02:13 PM

Glenn,

I understand that the owners of an SLE grid can't just go to their favorite texture store in SL, buy 10,000 textures (or buy other content), put them in an empty sim, and import them on their own to their SLE grid, without first getting the signed releases from the texture artists or other content providers involved.

I was thinking more from the merchant's side of this. As a sim designer, builder, scripter and texture artist, if I wanted to make a product available to your proposed Enterprise Marketplace, I would, of course, have to sign an agreement with LL indicating that all the textures and content in the sim full of stuff that I was offering for sale to SLE grid owners was my own IP, or that I had secured proper licenses allowing export. But what I do NOT see here is any sort of signed agreement between ME, as the content creator, and THE CUSTOMER, who wants to buy what I place in the Enterprise Marketplace. I don't see any way for me to present them with my end user license agreement, so I would end up having a signed copy from each customer, or to have a signed agreement from the client that the sim full of stuff that XYZ Corp purchased on Thursday was licensed to go on their SLE pair in their New Jersey data center, and that they don't have permission to replicate that and send it to their data centers in the other 49 states and gods knows how many foreign countries. LL's agreements say they can't re-export the things to the main grid or to other people's grids. But based on what I read so far in your publicly available documentation, the agreements they sign with LL do not, apparenly, prohibit them from copying whole sims worth of data and transferring that to other SLE server pairs within their own company. So they could buy it once, and replicate it to thousands of SLE server pairs, if they were so deeply into the SLE product that they had many more than just the one pair within their company.

My pricing for anything I would sell to a SLE client would have to be based on an assumption that it could be used in up to 8 sims, by up to 800 concurrent users, and potentially spread among infinite registered users. But that is only on one SLE pair. If they have five SLE pairs, they should be required to buy it 5 times, once for each server pair that they install my products on. Otherwise, I'll only ever be able to sell once to any given customer, and they can copy it forever on as many servers as they can afford.

by Honored Resident Karmyne Bruun
on ‎11-13-2009 02:35 PM

With SLE is possible to gain, as you can read in SL Work microsite that explains the future of SL Marketplace Work for the trade of SLE. Solution Providers and Content Creators who are on the main grid of SL, they can sell their products and services both in SL and for SLE by increasing their business. But SLE is not connected to the main grid, so if you want to share and publicly display their works, I think it is better to buy a private island in SL and who will have SLE, you can view the products and service of vendors SL Marketplace Work even in SL grid main, over that on the website.

http://work.secondlife.com/en-US/worksolutions/marketplace/

L'introduzione del SL lavoro Marketplace

SL Marketplace di lavoro, insieme a lanciare nel 1 ° trimestre 2010, sarà la prima applicazione mondo virtuale e la soluzione di mercato. Attualmente la Second Life Enterprise (SL Enterprise) Beta è completamente scollegato dalla principale ambiente Second Life, e le applicazioni aziendali e le soluzioni in Second Life non sono attualmente strutturato per la concessione di licenze a livello aziendale. Quindi, stiamo creando Second Life Work Marketplace (SL lavoro Marketplace), in cui le organizzazioni possono scaricare intere regioni, e il loro contenuto associati, nelle loro SL Enterprise Beta ambiente. SL lavoro Marketplace è una vittoria per i clienti della Enterprise Beta SL perché dà loro una più ampia varietà di contenuti utili out-of-the-box ed è anche una vittoria per i Solution Provider e SL creatori di contenuti, che possono usufruire di un nuovo mercato per i loro prodotti e servizi.

Le voci disponibili nel Marketplace SL lavoro includerà strumenti di collaborazione, meeting e soluzioni di eventi, le soluzioni di formazione, avatars business, business-oriented ambienti, e molto altro ancora.

La SL lavoro Marketplace inizieranno come un programma pilota, che consente Gold Solution Providers e fornitori di applicazioni enterprise raccomandata con applicazioni e dei contenuti specifici di elencare i propri contenuti sul sito SL lavoro Marketplace. In futuro, la Linden Lab amplierà il SL lavoro Marketplace per fornire includere applicazioni e soluzioni per le aziende nelle principali ambiente Second Life, come pure. Saremo annunciando ulteriori informazioni sul programma al più presto.

Interessato a presentare una soluzione?

Se sei un Gold Solution Provider (http://solutionproviders.secondlife.com) o una raccomandata Application Provider, e sei interessato a creare una presentazione per la SL Marketplace di lavoro, quindi si prega di e-mail marketplaceapps@lindenlab.com e siamo felici di condividere informazioni sul programma, il processo di presentazione, la linea del tempo, ei criteri di valutazione.

by Member Nany Kayo
on ‎11-13-2009 02:42 PM
Content created in SLE cannot be transferred into SL as the SLE content is under a different licensing structure, so they cannot sell content on XstreeSL.

Thank you, Amanda.

Where can content created on SLE be sold? Can it be sold on OpenSim or another competitor to Second Life, for example? How is 'content' defined in this context? Does it include patentable inventions and solutions based on virtual worlds technologies? Does it include original artworks created for the 3D internet?

by Member Nany Kayo
on ‎11-13-2009 02:44 PM
According to rumor (i.e., I read it in the blog somewhere). Open SIm has about half the script functionality of SL so far.

Sitearm,

I have heard this too and we are carefully evaluating our options. It may be a matter of a series of steps from one platform to another.

Your accent is cute! Most of us are in Oklahoma, which has a slightly different accent than Texas, but I hear you : )

Our concern with the sale of content created on SLE is not focused on gambling so much as alleviating poverty in remote, rural locations through new types of internet-based cottage industry. We need to sell the products and services we create. We need the functionality to create the very best stuff and access to the widest, most unrestricted market possible.

by Advisor Medhue Simoni
on ‎11-13-2009 06:16 PM

Sorry, I don't actually understand why not being able to connect to the main grid is something some1 would want and heck you can do basically that with a ton of other platforms, almost all at a much lower price. Really, think about it, you even made it so there is limited object makers. How is this anything more than a modifiable video game. I think SL is a bit more than that, but not if you are on some prepackage system. Hey, Whatever. Kinda is more like the UnSL.

"enterprise-level pricing (e.g., 1,500 USD and up is the rumor)."

I really can't think of any of my higher end products that have earned me less than that, and I am still selling them. Sorry, I'll stay with making things for the public.

by Honored Resident Tesla Miles
on ‎11-13-2009 06:45 PM

It gets complicated right you start dealing with all the different systems, ie. the more moving parts in the machine, the more probability of there being a problem.

If SLE did become a big success, the size of the department at LL that would be required to coordinate the movement of products from the maingrid to all the private SLE grids would be unsustainable. Not only talking about creators here, we're talking about service too for all the SLE customers - what if a problem develops with a product bought from a maingrid creator? With regards to scripted items, how are they updated for bug fixes etc.

If this is a matter of "you get what you pay for", then enough said, you get a barebones virtual world in a box - no questions asked.

by Honored Resident Rails Bailey
on ‎11-14-2009 05:20 AM

Playing devils advocate here, but until such time as LL invest in better grid stability, better client stability, then all the money you are throwing at other ideas/concepts is just wasted, given that without the basics who is going to invest in anything that is not stable.

by Honored Resident Rails Bailey
on ‎11-14-2009 05:33 AM

English is the preferred language Sitearm, I can even manage typonese

by Recognized Resident JfR Beaumont
on ‎11-14-2009 06:27 AM

DBC gmbh use Second Life as a media platform since many year connected with the web, media need to be near audiences and to have a clear aproach, it's not an "entreprise" brand image needed for that purpose, most of the problem in SL are due to a non validation and a clear view inworld of who is who, a validate process for connecting avatar with a rl skill and a rl connection with the company is definitely a solution, Linden Lab ignore and have no approach about rl content provider, searching always solution for internal enterprise communication, and let producer and content provider going far away of this expensive platform, spending 50 000 $ for only max audiences of 60 people is not realistic, building a new "Second third life place" is a way of ignore rl problem of that is make success of the web for example, content producer and media bizness, all the enterprise place are a big no man's land on the web, same happens in SL, we participate for place where there is always people due to an aproach of Media broadcast on metaverse and on the web, the enterprise are interested in this sort of place for making advertisment like on the web, at begining of web most of the entreprise have build huge expensive website, now they prefer to bring their image in place with millions of viewers, SL is not so diferent, the approach need to be the same, number of viewers and contents are a key, more than building "secure" place for building empty shop or demo space of products that nobody care about.

JfR / Jean Francois Reveillard DBC gmbh

by Honored Resident Bristle Chesnokov
on ‎11-16-2009 10:09 AM

@JfR actually it would be 480 (with 800 if they had a tiny island and nothing on it).

i have spend the last few days looking at game engines with networking and there is not very many.  and it boils down to the same thing -- how many people.  are on it.  with SL there are people.  even if a thousand companies are for SLE, they had no open space or ties with any other markets or even associations.  it is a sterile world nothing connected to anything.

that was not the way the web went. we have the world as the web.  could it be that the same old LL read the article that i read that the vworld was for the whole world.  not segmentation. at least with hypergrid that would mean that worlds can be connected.  or is that another old idea now.

by Recognized Resident JfR Beaumont
on ‎11-17-2009 03:04 AM

You exactly touch the main point Bristle, you look only inworld. Live events we make are totally connected to the web, more precisely we do event on the web with for example more than 1200 viewers for weekly Jazzbaragge live from Zurich High School of music on the web, and we connect it inworld, it's not the same aproach of most of the events make inside metaverse only, this is the problem, LL and all people around are unicentric, only concerned by inworld situation, this is not the right view of the futur of this Media tool.

Another example of that we do with our partnership with Scoutlounge, there is million of connection per month on the website and the webradio and people inworld during days and nights, but inside Second Life we can't reach this number of viewers per months. SL is only a Media platform add to show a hype technology plus, it's not a main platform of distribution or media broadcasting or events, at begining of the webtv we have not much people than now inside second life, now they are millions like for the U2 broadcast on youtube, if metaverse understand that the simple way of use for end user, and contents with cross media value, are a key, maybe in ten years we can have millions of viewers inworld too.

JfR

by Member Sorina Garrigus
on ‎11-17-2009 07:08 AM

You made some good points but some are not even close to being factual by any stretch of the imagination. Gambling as you refered to it being completely reversed is completely false. I work in the game industry in SL and actually operate the largest game store and game places don't have blackjack tables and such. Also there was never a ban on "gambling" depending on how you define that. There was a ban on games of chance but not games of skill and never was. The problem is people don't take the time to look at game play of some games of skill before labeling as gambling (or a game of chance). Many people consider poker for instance to be a game of skill in real life and even have professional poker players. I don't think I heard of professional slot players so there must be some skill involved in the game. That asside don't be confused by skill games inspired by known games of chance. Take the popular carnival game the penny pitch. This is a game in which you throw a penny onto a platform filled with dishes. the goal is to land the penny on a dish if you do you win a prize. Now it takes skill to get that penny into the vicinity of that dish and a control on how much spin it might have on it or not. But because of chaos theory that penny is going to bounce about in for the most part fairly unpredictably due to chaos theory. That can be considered "gambling" and people dont think anything of it. But it's a game of skill also because the player has interaction with the process and their ability to play affects the outcome. The game's of skill in SL are pretty much the same. So before you go saying LL reversed gambling rules thats not true at all. Now unfortunately its not in TOS or CS that is a problem and I have brought it up myself. Though in world Lindens say it is. In fact it isn't its in the knowledge base and in a blog. So if you are siting they reversed it based on that I would understand the confusion. Not only did they not reverse it in world lindens are making down right silly mistakes and I hear them every other day. I tend to get burned out on WTF momments and its just down right laughable.

Also if the ban on games of chance was reversed it wouldn't be a failure it would be a vast improvement on the SL economy which was seriously hurt when that came into being. It's unfortunate LL had to ban a simple pass time because of a bunch of political postering sneaking a bill in a anti terrorist bill. Unfortunately there are political leaders in the united states that don't believe in things like freedom and the right to persue happyness etc. Hopefully those bogus laws will change and there is effort to do so. Just have to love the hypocracy of the US goverment where states that don't allow casino games but then turn around and have state sanctioned lottery games.

on ‎11-17-2009 07:23 AM

Not a lot of money? Sent 55k here I will put it to good use and make you a profit even. Also that's at least one full time employee with benefits if not 2. Also its just SL just with a higher price tag they can just use open source technology and do the same thing. Also productive use would be minimal. Only thing you might be able to do is provide basic 3D prototypes of products or in some cases space planners and building lay outs if a lot of people need to see it. I don't see any day to day use for RL businesses to justify the costs. It would be much more cost effective if a business needed a 3d environment just to have their own islands and limit access only to employee accounts. Of course a business might want to pay the 55k so employees are distracted by furries, escorts and zyngo

on ‎11-17-2009 07:26 AM

It's not that much money for a small or medium business either and a large business would be hard pressed to justify the cost and point to potential returns and increase in productivty form their investment also. A mega corporation might have money to flush. If some company bites well good for LL maybe they will take that money hire some customer support and improve SL's aging technologies

by New Resident joanne Fallen
on ‎11-28-2009 07:22 AM

hi im having probs teleporting off a sim im on and wondered if anyone could help as i also work on SLand cant get there thanks for yr time name is joanne fallen

by New Resident Shannon Winterwolf
on ‎11-30-2009 06:56 PM

http://<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TJHVXKC">Click Here to take survey</a>

Please take this survey. It is only 7 questions and will not take very much of your time. Please help me out for my college project. Thank you.

by Honored Resident Blue Linden
on ‎01-13-2010 04:37 PM

Removing post which is "naming names" and advertising....please do not use public discussions for interpersonal disputes or promotion.  IMing the person directly is a much more appropriate means of communication and not at all against the Discussion Guidelines.  It can also be very personal and polite.  Heck, sometimes, it's downright neighborly!

by New Resident sierra Composer
on ‎08-21-2010 03:47 PM

wanna go out some time