can't buy lindens with this viewer

Brez Landar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont know where this thread should go, but there seems to be an emerging problem with residents on various viewers being unable to "quick buy" lindens with the dollar button - get the message "this viewer is not supported for buying lindens" and then have to buy lindens using the website.  If anyone has any wisdom about what is going on can you please post it here - I have heard that there is a new policy for international residents having to buy their lindens inworld or using the website but this is unconfirmed, others think it is a LL bug.....either way the website is not saying and we are all quite confused.

It appears that non-US residents, or at least European residents, can no longer buy L$ through the SL client, unless they already had a credit card number or PayPal address on file prior to the recent changes in the payment process for international customers.

Linden Lab now seem to have different payment processors for each European country, none of which accepts Paypal. But at least they now offer additional payment options such as bank transfer. New residents will have to purchase L$ through the website, which loads a plugin of a third party payment processor such as this one:

payment options.png

This also means that European residents can no longer get rid of their initial "No Payment Info on File" status, which is banned by many land and region owners, without actually buying L$ or a premium account from Linden Lab.

As usual, LL did a very poor job of communicating these changes, or rather completely failed to do so. I hope that the new system will be integrated with the viewer software at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

It might be a point of concern that new residents have to provide their payment information to a third party. For German customers, it is a site called safe-cashier.com, which I never heard of before. And from what I read in the old forums, the payments of UK customers are handled by some obscure online gambling company. I'm not sure that all non-US customers will trust a 3rd party with that kind of information.

And this could also be a problem for land and region owners who ban the anonymous crowd from entering their places because they only want to let people in who have reliable RL information on file with LL. Seeing that this data is now being transmitted to 3rd party payment processors instead of LL, residents with "Payment Info Used" status are probably equally anonymous and can't be held legally accountable for their actions by other residents.

It's not just Europe. Australia also seem to have this issue. Would have been nice to have been given warning, or even been told this was going to happen.

Also even when there was a credit card attached.............been paying Premium, and buying $L since early 2005 with this CC, still cannot buy through any 1.23 version viewer (both official and TPV). Viewer 2 works just fine.

That makes sense. 1.23 is way out of date. I wouldn't imagine LL would continue to implement service changes with the old 1.x UI in mind. 

It's kind of like wondering why you can use a certain piece of software in Windows 7, but darn it, it won't work with your copy of Windows 3.1 on your 486. LOL!

Cheers! 

@Tristan : It's not a UI issue, it's a regional issue. I can't buy anything from secondlife.com without having to go through safe-cashier.com, which does not have a valid security certificate by the way. I think this is a matter of LL wanting to shift responsibility when something goes wrong with payment.

When a third party is used like this it almost always ends up with people losing a lot of money because the third party and the main company will simply keep redirecting to each other all the time when there is a problem.

I'm pretty stuck here now - I will not be buying anything through a third party, especially one who's security certificate isn't valid and i've never heard of before. I'd advise everyone else who has to do this to boycott the unknown parties aswell.

@Ishtara : I have credit card info on file, but it refuses to recognize that and keeps redirecting me to safe-cashier.com.

All my credit card info IS already with LL's and I'm in freeking CANADA and still I got put through this same wringer as everyone else..  wtf is LL's pulling??  Are they TRYING to lose clients cause their comps can't keep up with the  client base? Me thinks that's what it's really all about.. Take this BS and shove it.. LL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.