Looking for someone to create sculpt/mesh of a head

Play Pool

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

I made several new versions of a Marilyn Manson avatar I bought. I made new skins for him and several outfits. I would love to sell the new avatars I made. HoweverI the sculpt I use for the head of Manson is from the avatar I bought. I cannot use it to be sold. So I am looking for someone who can make a sculpt or preferably mesh head shape for him.

The secondlife shapes are very limited in how they can be stretched and I could not stretch them as far as to make the shape resemble Marilyn Mansons head which is why I use a sculpt for his head.

I am a longtime resident even though my forum account is new.

Wrong forum, this is for help in creating your own works.

Also, though...

Check out the IP rules regarding likeness of celebrities in SL: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property#Trademarked_and_celebrity_material

Specifically:-

"Although you may be a fan, you risk infringing celebrity rights if you use a celebrity name or likeness in connection with in-world objects you trade, and you don't have the celebrity's permission."

(Added: I do kind of like that somehow, Marilyn Manson's head defies the shape sliders.)

• Like 1

Hmm.. so to release the avatar I would need to have permission? That sucks. I doubt a celebrity takes care of their own "right of publicity", but even then will whoever does take care of that care about an SL avatar.. it will not bring in a lot of money too them. Has something like asking for permission to a celeb ever been done before.. even if its unofficially? I doubt MM will care about a few euros, and I'd also be ok to give it away for free.. it just will be cool to share it with other MM fans. But for my own conscience.. how would such a thing be done, if it has ever been done?

And where is the forum for asking creators to help out?

Play Pool wrote:

Hmm.. so to release the avatar I would need to have permission?

Yes. It's not about making money but about controlling the use of their likeness and the ways they can become separated from their artistic integrity. Just as you'd be perturbed if a dozen people started calling themselves 'Play Pool' and selling avatars, celebrities have rights over uses of their name and visual appearance.

Play Pool wrote:

I doubt MM will care about a few euros, and I'd also be ok to give it away for free.. it just will be cool to share it with other MM fans

Again, money isn't the issue. You don't get to make this decision for Marilyn Manson because you are not Marilyn Manson. He's actually pretty tightly focused on how he's portrayed in the media. and who gets to act as a mouthpiece for his art.

Am not a lawyer, am not advising you in any capacity except to say "here is the relevant section of the rules".

The Wanted forum and, the Inworld Employment forum would be relevant. FYI, though, if I see a post about Marilyn Manson pop up there I'll probably link to this thread. ;)

I dont want to make the decision. That is exactly why I want permission. Otherwise ill use and alter the avatar parts to make my own avatar.

During a really dificult period in my life it worked wonders for me to escape into the skin of my favourite celebrity. Thats why I want to take the effort to ask permission for it to either MM or whoever he gave permission to decide for him. Who knows it might help another person to do the same thing. And if I cantget the permission, then I wont sell MM. Simple as that.

I can absolutely sympathise. Manson's music got me through some dark times too, and out the other side. I expect this is a common theme amongst his fanbase (he says himself, that it's part of the point of what he does - a favourite quote: "Finding someone who's willing to drown with you creates a situation where you no longer want to drown.").

I should add that the primary intention of pointing out this issue with projects like yours is because I hate to see creativity disappear, which is exactly what would happen if someone in MM's estate took an issue with illegal works in his likeness - it's happened repeatedly in Second Life with other artists. Much more satisfying to watch people create truly unique homages and derivative works, that aren't at risk of being cast into the void just because of a label lawyer with an itchy trigger finger.

Good luck. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.