is it ok to use exodus viewer?

Ninotchka Oompa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hi, i know about the third party viewers list on the sl website so i don't need a copy of the link, i just wanted to ask if its ok to use the exodus viewer?, since i've seen alot of people using this viewer in sl and i did not see it in the sl third party viewers list. it also says on the exodus website that exodus viewer is a specialized third party combat viewer for second life. i don't think this is a copybot type viewer from what i've seen in the exodus website so sounds to me like it is an ok viewer to use and from what i've seen others using it in sl as well, but i am not really sure if it is ok with linden labs to use it or not. thank you. :matte-motes-grin:

4 answers to this question

The third party viewer list is not a guarantee that the viewer is safe nor is not being on it an indication that a viewer is unacceptable. Emerald was on the third party list before it became banned.

All that means is the TPV list is not a definitive source of trustworthiness or not. 

Exodus is becoming popular with the photographers for its visual qualities and settings capabilities.

The only viewer officially endorsed by Linden Labs is the official Second Life viewer. The list of third party viewers provided are those that Linden Labs agrees comply with a specific set of qualifications. Exodus not being on that list doesn't mean that it is "banned" or unacceptable, but rather that for whatever reason, the viewer does not necessarily meet all of those qualifications. LL is, therefore, unwilling to put it on their list as "safe," but you can still use it if you want. Be aware, though, that it may or may not be "safe." Probably is, but use caution.

Emerald Viewer is an example of one that was on LL's list of "accepted" viewers, and yet turned out to not be particularly safe. (Keep in mind, though, that it was originally; it became "unsafe" after an update in which they added a line or two of code. Or at least, that's my understanding.) So, again, Exodus NOT being on that list doesn't make it unsafe or unacceptable to use, and LL really won't care one way or the other about your use of it.

Hello!

I'm one of the Exodus Viewer developers, so call me biased for my answer if you wish. However I wish to point out a few things.

First of all, all viewers that connect to the Second life grid must comply to Second life's third party viewer policy. This policy is on http://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php - If we (developers), do not comply to this policy, Linden lab would be quick to block the viewer from logging in. If we circumvented the blocks, our Second life accounts would end up banned.

Secondly, listing on the Second Life TPV list is optional. Believing you are any safer with a viewer on the TPV is a false sense of security. TPV developers self certify their viewer's compliance (regardless of being listed) to the TPV, Linden Lab are not known to normally certify viewer releases on the TPV list. You should question all viewers regardless of being on the TPV.

You have to apply to be on the list, you can see LL's terms for applying here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Downloads#For_developers:_how_to_apply_to_list_a_viewer_in_this_directory

Thirdly, at this time, we aren't seeking out to be on the TPV list, we're still in beta after all. We are however listed on Second life's wiki on, http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Downloads#Exodus_Viewer - which makes listing on the TPV somewhat pointless if we're listed anyway.

As one of the developers of Exodus Viewer, I would like to say that I stand by everything that is written in http://exodusviewer.com/faq.html - Which pretty much references the fact we don't have cheaty, password stealing or any of that other stuff.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.