Will Second Life viewer but ready to support Windows 10 release sometime this year

BACK Blackburn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Almost certainly.  It has worked with every Windows version since Windows 98.  As always, though, when you install a new OS on your machine, be sure that you also update all of the drivers for your video card and other components to be sure that they are working together.  Most of the problems that SL residents have with OS upgrades can be traced to faulty or incomplete installation.

• Like 3

Windows 10 uses the whole kernel of the Windows 8.1 release. This is actually 95% + of the OS and is the best part of the current Windows 8.1 release for many reasons. The UI [user Interface] component got the greatest overhaul in Windows 10 in addition to having some other long desired features finally added in the areas of Large Hard Drive addressing and the addition of options for newer USB standards and the like.

I've used the current SL Release on my Windows 10 Beta but it was slow since I only installed this on an i3 PC with a low end Graphics Card. It should be ready for SL out of the box when delivered.

• Like 2

There is an issue with a possiblity of Windows 10 build 10240 that does not save the preferences of viewers.  Two that have serious issues:  Firestorm-->  The mode does not change.  Alchemy, the preferences do not save except the colors.  Everything else one has to reset everytime one logs in.  Due to this, I have to believe the location of where this information is stored Windows 10 erases.  I have to assume (yes dangerous to assume anything) that this is a security issue that Microsoft is using with Windows 10.  I believe it clears any possible dangers that we all can collect online.  Whatever it may be, something that Linden Labs and the other Third Party Viewers (TPVs) needs to look into. 

According to the MicroSoft web page, they state:

Is the upgrade really free?

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time: you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

Indicating you will never be asked to pay for it.  Of course, any new computer you purchase will require the purchase of the OS on the machine you purchase.  No different than now.

I am not sure I am going to rush into the upgrade, there is time to watch, wait and see how it goes.

W.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.