Why SL crashes on windows 8 ?

Criisz12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It crashes after a liittle while.I'm running windows 8.

When it crashes the message "not respondig" appears.When I start the game it flashes.Win 8 is installed correctllybecause it came with the laptop.I am using wireless

Other specs are : Win 8 with thouchscreen

Procesor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U 1.50GHz

ram :4.00 gb

EDIT: I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING BUT THE FLASHING SCREEN STILL APPEARS.WHEN I TRY TO TELEPORT FROM ONE PLACE TO AN OTHER THE FREEZING MESSAGE POP UP...ANY IDEAS?

7 answers to this question

It crashes after a liittle while.I'm running windows 8.

When it crashes the message "not respondig" appears.When I start the game it flashes.Win 8 is installed correctllybecause it came with the laptop.I am using wireless

Other specs are : Win 8 with thouchscreen

Procesor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U 1.50GHz

ram :4.00 gb

EDIT: I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING BUT THE FLASHING SCREEN STILL APPEARS.WHEN I TRY TO TELEPORT FROM ONE PLACE TO AN OTHER THE FREEZING MESSAGE POP UP...ANY IDEAS?

SL crashes on Windows 8 because it crashes on every operating system when there is something wrong.

Please use Options > Edit to add some information to your question.  What error message do you get, if any?  Are there any predictable failures before the crash (eg; screen flashing, freezing or going black)?  What - apart from Windows 8 - are your system specs?  Are you using wireless (don't) and what are you ping and packet-loss figures?  etc. etc.

The two probably aren't connected.  After all, people have been crashing in SL for years before Win 8 was invented.  Still, it couldn't hurt to be sure that you have installed Win 8 and SL correctly and that your drivers are up to date.  Beyond that, though, we'd have a hard time guessing.  You didn't tell us anything at all about your computer except that it has Win 8 on it, and you didn't explain what you mean when you say that SL "crashes."  Exactly what happens?  When does it happen? Exactly what error messages do you get?  Any additional information would be a good start.  The more, the better.  If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

OK Do the following:

All Windows 8 Users

0) Manually apply ALL the Required and Important patches for Windows 8 from Microsoft. A new Win 8 PC needs 4-5 iterations of this to get them all. The easiest way to do this is to:

a) Enter Desktop Mode
b) Launch Internet Explorer
c) Right-click on the options area of the Browser and turn on Menu & Status Bar [and any other of the old standards you like]
d) Tools / Windows Update. e) Select the CUSTOM button so you can monitor and select the downloaded options to install
e) Repeat until all are DL'd and installed

Note: Don't install the Bing Desktop. Also, don;t install any Windows Live components unless you have an email account with Microsoft.

1) Identify the Video / Graphics system in your PC and get the most current drivers direct from the Video System manufacturer.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

2) Reinstall SL again using the official version from Linden Lab. [be sure to do a clean install]

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Here is the Windows 8 Manual System File cleanup procedure since it's not in the procedure above.

Windows 8
1.Using File Explorer -> Libraries / Computer / ( C: ) / Users /
2.Press the Continue button to get permission to obtain permanent permission edit this directory.
3.From the View drop-down menu option select Options & Change Folder & Search Options
4.Select the View Tab
5.Under the Hidden Files and Folders options click on the - O Show hidden files, folders & Drives radio button
6.Push the Apply Button then the OK button.
7.Open C:\Users\\AppData\Local and delete the contents of your Temp folder and the SecondLife folder.
8.Uninstall Second Life using the Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel.
9.Download and install the latest release of the Second Life Viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/.

3) Login using that Viewer and wait for a complete Login and Inventory rebuild.

4) Afterwards, you may use any viewer you prefer but I recommend a clean install of that viewer as well following their instructions.

You should be up and running in no time.

P.S. I recommend these steps on all Windows 8 PC's and Laptops, specifically designed for Windows 8 with high-end Graphics Sub-Systems or Graphics Cards.

P.S.S. - On Upgraded PC's & Laptops - If your computer was not designed specifically for Windows 7 or Windows 8 these steps may still help. There are many "Designed for Vista" PC's that don't upgrade well to Windows 8. If your PC was designed for Windows XP, Windows 8 is usually NOT a viable option, practically speaking.

Ooooh, a live one!  Thank you for adding that system information so quickly - you have no idea how many people never do.  It will be a pleasure to (try to) help you :-)

"Not responding" would be a WIndows message that SL is frozen.  That is usually because SL can't communicate with the servers.  The most likely cause of that is your wireless connection.  Unlike 'games' where almost all the content is installed on your computer SL is an ever-changing, resident-created virtual world that requires a lot of your internet connection.

4GB RAM is a little tight for Windows 8 but shouldn't be an issue.  As it's a laptop your system may well include an integrated graphics system which may not be able to handle SL's requirements.  If this is the case then you'll just not be able to run SL on that laptop, although a third-party viewer sometimes works for people when the official one doesn't.

If at all possible try to run SL with a wired connection instead of wireless - that is, plug it into your router directly,  Wireless is notoriously unpredictable and can run slowly or erratically enough at times that SL simply 'locks up', resulting in "Not Responding" from Windows and, after the system times-out and gives-up, SL crashing.

Good luck

Thank you for adding hat information.  It does help.  You didn't tell us what graphics card you have in that computer, but a couple of those symptoms are common with ATI/AMD graphics cards. If that's what you are using, the best solution is to roll back to an earlier version of the Catalyst drivers.  You can also try disabling Basic Shaders and Anti-Aliasing, both of which are in Preferences >> Graphics  (AI is in the Hardware Settings tab).

I might say, someone was hinting at the real issue. 4GB of Ram, and your processor, are not very good specs to be running Window 8, I'm afraid. Even Window 7 may be an issue. And unfortunately, XP does not register more than 3GB of RAM. My best suggestion, would be to load a partition on your hard drive, of an Linux Distribution. That will handle your hardware, and actually runs MUCH better than any windows machine.

And in case you are worried. Unlike most other programs, people actually make linux capable viewers for SL. You'll be fine, they have the option right there, with the Windows and Mac versions. But with what you have in your PC, I would strong urge against using windows Vista, 7, or 8.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.