What the hell is wrong with Voice chat?

xXDarkShadow87Xx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

I'll tell you what the hell is wrong with Voice chat.  It's annoying, people play music over it, I can hear them chewing and their kids screaming, and most of the people who use it are just unspeakably rude....oh.  You mean TECHNICAL problems.

Voice is provided by VirWox, and it's a Voice Over Internet service, like Skype.  Voice problems can be caused by:

• Virwox voice service is having problems or is down
  • Virwox and/or other VOIP services are banned by your country
  • The owner of the land parcel you are on doesn't allow Voice
  • You don't have anough bandwidth to support Voice.  Check Preferences, and set your bandwidth to 1500 or 80% of your measured download bandwidth, whichever is LESS.
  • You aren't keying the microphone.  You can set your mic to only be live when you are pressing the designated microphone button (which I recommend) or set the mic button to "toggle"...press once, it goes live.  It stays live until you press it again.
  • The Virwox service is not running on your computer, or there are several instances of it running
  • You need to open a port in your firewall
  • You have the wrong device(s) specified for your microphone and/or speakers.  In Preferences, this is generally set to Default, but can also be set to a specific device.  You should also check your audio device selections in Windows.  If your mic and speakers work in other applications but not SL, it's your SL Preferences.  If they don't work in other apps, it's your Windows settings.  If you change anything, you'll need to restart the viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.