Firestorm chat logs saved or not?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In Firestorm, I have found in Preferences / Privacy where I can have chats and IM's saved to my computer.  But I cannot find anywhere on my computer where they may have been saved.  And I cannot find where I can choose where I want them saved, as in other viewers.  Is this one of the things that is not yet truly available in the Beta version?  Saving my chats is very important to me and if this feature is not yet active I will have to go back to V2 until it is.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Delin Ohmai

7 answers to this question

They are saved in your AppData. You can actually choose where to save them to if you want them somewhere more convenient to you, by clicking the "set" button next to the location in Preferences > Network & Cache tab. There is also an "Open" button, which opens their location for you.

If you have never opened the AppData folder on your computer before, it could stillbe  a hidden folder, which may be why you have not found the logs. You can un-hide hidden folders by going to folder options in your windows tools menu.

The other thing different about Firestorm is that the cache & logs etc are in a folder called Firestorm in AppData, instead of one called Second Life. This is so that Firestorm can be installed alongside other viewers such as Phoenix, without causing any conflicts from having the cache saved in the same place.

I have never cared to save local chat myself, but it's my understanding that Firestorm saves it in the same general storage location as your IMs if you enable the option in Prefs >> Network & Cache >> Save nearby chat logs on my computer (may cause lag)..

BTW, this is a rather ancient necropost. If you have a question, it is much smarter to start a new thread than to post like this. ;)

Logs are saved by default in C:\users\[Windows_username]\appdata\roaming\[viewername]\[SLusername]\chatlog.  The entries in [brackets] may vary depending on your own settings.  For example, [viewername] could be Second Life, Firestorm, or some other viewer.

The appdata folder is normally a "hidden" folder.  You can opt to view hidden files and folders in Windows, in "This PC".  See the screenshot below.

Capture.thumb.PNG.51d92d81d57007c05a1e9bff1caeff9f.PNG

You can also specify a directory where the logs will be saved, in your viewer's Preferences, as previously noted.

Each user name will have its own chatlog folder, if you have more than one Second Life account.

If you choose to log IMs, each person or group you have an IM with will have its own text file.  For example, if you IM me, you will have a log file called lindal_kidd.txt.  Every time we talk, that file will be appended to.

If you choose to log local (nearby) chat, the file will be called "chat.txt".  It can grow rather large, for a text file.  I check it every few months; I chop off and save the older text and give that file another name.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.