Tips and Tricks

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

[GUIDE] 10 tips to get the most out of web profiles!

Torley Linden

As a Second Life Resident, you have a profile that you can customize to share more about yourself. It's opt-in and can be a lot of fun to fill out. Why bother? Many fellow Residents surf profiles, and if you're open to making new friends, a completed profile makes you a much more fascinating person to get in touch with.

As you may know from Q Linden's post announcing Viewer 2.5, this new version of Second Life has profiles stored on the web. The following video chock full o' tips will help you learn what's changed as Linden Lab continues to evolve how you express your virtual identity.

If you want text instructions and more info,

Check out the "Web profile" wiki help page

Feel free to edit and update it to make it awesomer! Remember, we're moving to a new community platform so this may get ported over as-requested.

Also, you know how much I love followup and to set expectations so you understand what our intentions and plans are at Linden Lab. I'm constantly asking our company gurus for goodies I can share with you. After all, I live and breathe SL; the same stuff that bothers you bothers me too. I've read some comments to the tune of,

"Is that it for web profiles?"

No! Since this is only the first instance of web profiles, there's usability stuff in a sort of "in-between" state that Linden Lab hopes to improve in the future. For example:

• Web profiles tend to load slower than old-style sidebar profiles, so there's room for performance increases.
  • Some stuff hasn't been migrated to the web profile yet — like you can't edit a classified in the web profile yet, so the behavior of hopping back and forth is confusing. But plans are hatching for better integration.
  • Having both a web profile and the sidebar open at the same time takes a lot of screen space, and that could be tightened up too.

And the odd moments of quirkiness shown in the video. Again, I emphasize: this is just the beginning. Stay tuned for improvements, but right here, right now (like

), the above tips should help you get the most out of web profiles today.

On a misc. fashion note,

"Where did you get your eyeshadow, Torley?"

Some of you have also asked this, as featured in my recent videos! I had been looking all over Second Life for eyeshadow in my fave pink + green colors, and this is "Fruity Fresh" by Miasnow Myriam. It can be bought on Twomoons Island:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5164/5350322120_ac876ee9b1_z.jpg

Check out the Destination Guide for more rad Second Life places and send your suggestions to our Editorial Team (which I'm on)!

Finally — for now, the ending of one chapter and the beginning of the next — this is my last blog post on this Jive system before moving to the new community platform.

I'm giving a gracious thankyou to each and all of you lovely Residents who've benefited from these Tips & Tricks, and hope you'll join me in TnT's next incarnation. (I also need to figure out how I'm going to preserve and promote the still-useful archives.) See ya on the flipside after the read-only freeze!  

In the meantime, stay awesome in Second Life and I look forward to meeting you in-avatar...

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

I think you need to check the privacy parts. I have "I want my profile to be available on the web" unchecked, yet my profile comes up when googling. I was not logged in anywhere on SL, and even used a different browser to make sure it wasn't cookie related.

BTW, when googling, this also comes up:

-----------------------

LadyDi Andel - Second Life - 7a.org

1 Jul 2008 ... LadyDi Andel - Who, me? Well, I-m just your average -tough old bird-, trying to forage her way through life. More times than not, ...
www.7a.org/ladydi-andel.html

----------------------------

Amazingly, not only is the description exactly what's in my SL profile, but when you click on it, it sends you to IMVU.

Thank you SL, for another ill-conceived bell and whistle.

Thanks for the update Torley! Lots of changes and you explained them well. Now if they would just fix my ticket so I can go in world and see it everything will be great!

BTW I was very distracted by the beautiful blue eyes your Avatar has, what kind are they?

I agree with Keli Great Update Torley! Those are very beautiful blue eyes BTW.  I really like the part in the video where you explain to everyone how to tell A Real Linden Lab Employee from everyone else.

Well, good to see that "friends permission" still are hidden in the single profiles, means we have to open every single profile to figure out who has which permissions! Thats really "fast, easy, fun"!

But nice vid, as always, youre great with your tuts! wtg!

I just miss the option to keep my profile how it was, somewhere someone of LL has said something about "choice"?! I cant find the choice here? I cant disable web profiles! Very much choice so, Ive to say.

Btw, why we needed web based profiles? did the majority of us scream for? I cant remember, Ive to say, I could swear the most people wanted a lag and bug free SL instead of any web based profiles?! As far as I could see, hear in Sl, the blods and forums, the most people in Sl dont want any connection to twitter or FB with thier SL accounts, sure, its oki if you wanna let know the whole world that youre a funny one, in green and pink, wearing women clothes sometimes, please go ahead, but I cloud swear most residents never wanted to have a outting like this. Most residents I know came to secondlife cos they got promised to them, A SECOND LIFE! Not 1st life copy...

Sorry, should I sound harsh, youre really a good one! And I hate myself to critise you, Torley, sorry.

I am sure your video was awesome Torley, they always are, but I was just so distracted by those stunning blue eyes of yours. I am going to have to watch the video again and try not to focus on your eyes so much.

Great vid torley as usual...

Privacy in the web profile is great does the job but it seems to be a opt-out rather than an opt-in as its auto set as opt-in.  Just I feel it would be better as opt-in for web profile option just incase a select few still do not know about this feature and their profiles are not polished and cleaned up to be viewed by the general public on the entire web.  Nice side Alt hehe

Help. i cant see any photos in my profile and it looks like rss feed. i dont even know where to look somebody's pick and everytime i check my profile or someone's profile it takes me like 10+++ seconds to download.

im using macbookpro

Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:     2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors:     1

Total Number Of Cores:     2

L2 Cache:     3 MB

Memory:     4 GB

Bus Speed:     1.07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model:     NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Type:     Display

Bus:     PCI

VRAM (Total):     256 MB

Vendor:     NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:     0x0863

Revision ID:     0x00b1

ROM Revision:     3448

gMux Version:     1.8.8

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution:     1440 x 900

Depth:     32-Bit Color

Core Image:     Hardware Accelerated

Main Display:     Yes

Mirror:     Off

Online:     Yes

Quartz Extreme:     Supported

Built-In:     Yes

Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model:     NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Type:     Display

Bus:     PCIe

PCIe Lane Width:     x16

VRAM (Total):     256 MB

Vendor:     NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:     0x0647

Revision ID:     0x00a1

ROM Revision:     3448

gMux Version:     1.8.8

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

Im also experiencing very low FPS like 3-4 frequently. When i do relogging my fps back to normal.

can someone help me regarding all this problems im experiencing with this viewer? torley help me pls!

and also when i tried to change my privacy settings and click save , a pink background with a notice like this "

Frame load interrupted by policy change

this is verrrry frustrating.

So... Have they fixed it so that when you uncheck 'I want my profile to be available on the web' your profile shows in world to people trying to see it? Last I saw, when you uncheck it, your profile does not show to others in the internal browser or in any external browser regardless of whether someone is logged in or not.

And btw. I don't think it is a quirk in your setup that made your groups, picks or classifieds not show in your profile. It seems to me that this is totally random whether they show or not.

- Luc -

"It's opt-in"

Hooray for complete lies. It's opt-OUT, but said option to opt-out does not work (it's a checkbox that becomes checked again the next time you reload the page, no matter how many times you click apply).

Sadly the web profiles are poorly designed, poorly integrated and perform poorly.

But this is not because they are at initial stage - many months have been spent on them up to this point.  Yet we still have a profile layout that looks nothing like the rest of the viewer, has bits missing and is abominably slow on even average machines.

As you know Torley, I am supportive of many of the efforts on Viewer 2 - but not this one.  Oh, and the serious problem VWR-24426 (SSL handshake error) on web profiles still isn't fixed for many Mac users despite me raising it five weeks ago.

"Web profiles tend to load slower than old-style sidebar profiles"

OLD STYLE is not having to use the dumb sidebar at all....

Frankly im NOT happy that my Profile in the future will be searchably by Google.. why?

Out of the same reason i dont court Facebook, Twitter and all other "i sell my privacy for free, Advert me please" - sites.

Im sorry to criticize you here Torley, you seem the only Linden interested in your customers (And yes, nice Av )

I must be missing something. People talk about opt-out and privacy in relation to webprofiles.

Profiles have always been accessible through web. The new profiles are in their standard setup not accessible through web. The only thing that needs to be accessible through web is the avatar name.

Linden Lab has disabled leaching of profile information about two years ago afaik.

The link between profile and twitter or other accounts has to be activated by the user. It can't be activated by default. It can't be activated by others.

The tweet button and other buttons only give information the user has allowed to be shared with web.

So, I think I'm missing something big here.

@Torley: What am I missing? Is there need for further explanation?

I must be missing something. People talk about opt-out and privacy in relation to webprofiles.

Profiles have always been accessible through web. The new profiles are in their standard setup not accessible through web. The only thing that needs to be accessible through web is the avatar name.

Linden Lab has disabled leaching of profile information about two years ago afaik.

The link between profile and twitter or other accounts has to be activated by the user. It can't be activated by default. It can't be activated by others.

The tweet button and other buttons only give information the user has allowed to be shared with web.

So, I think I'm missing something big here.

@Torley: What am I missing? Is there need for further explanation?

oh yes, you miss something important! The fact that we got forced a new "development" over us all, which is not able to do the job as good as it was before the change!

We love developments wich make such sense^^ FAST EASY FUN and USELESS^^

The Facebook like button is used for tracking. Facebook can use it to determine every single profile you've viewed, and sell that data to advertisers or other third parties. You do not have to click the button, merely having it loaded will tell Facebook what page you're seeing it on. You also do not have to have a Facebook account for this to happen.

This is not the only thing wrong with profiles; Facebook and Twitter are just the first advertisers to buy profile advertising space from Linden Lab. Our profiles will soon be advertising space for a wide range of products and services.

And with no benefit to us. We only get slower loading speed and reduced functionality.

Great explanation (as always) about how tou use a feature that cover 2/3 of the screen. I cannot see the world if I'm seeing a profile, but there is no problem, nobody is interested in the world. Buf...

@Torley: Question for you: Will there be a way to retrieve and edit profile information from in-world *without* using the web profiles? I am asking, because there are viewers out there that can't use web profiles at all (think text only viewers, mobile devices etc.). We absolutely need to keep these viewers able to edit profile information. Could you check on this and make sure the product managers responsible for web profiles know about this?  Second issue: We absolutely need a way to hide our web profiles from outside SL while still being able to view them from inside the viewer. I understand that this is the first incarnation of web profiles, but shipping it without this functionality shows a ver short-sighted approach on developing this new feature. Privacy should be the first and foremost concern with a new feature, especially if it contains tracking mechanisms like buttons that lead to social networking sites and track the user's browsing habits.  Thanks in advance!

Scholarly (easy to read, "this isn't tinfoil hat craziness") article on what the Facebook and Twitter buttons do:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1717563

They're pretty aggressive little snoops, to say the least.   I don't usually get all upset about such things, but when it comes to my SL identity, I don't want ANY possible tie to my RL, tyvm.  You can block them with adblockplus or with noScripts (Firefox) or notScripts (Chrome).  noScripts/notScripts is pretty fun to have anyway, since you get to see just how much stuff is trying to track your every web move, although in the early going you'll keep wondering why all your favorite sites suddenly broke.   (You get to choose what scripts run, so by default you are safe --- what a thought!)

The Lab seems to be struggling to grasp the concept that a lot of us don't want this connected to Real Life.   Maybe if they changed the name to something like "Second" Life it would be .................oh, wait .......

Torley, under "Social identities" what does it DO when I add my Twitter account? I don't understand why I needed to log into Twitter to add that.