Tips and Tricks

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

[FIXED] Newer Residents *can* post to the forums and blogs!

Torley Linden

Awhile ago when we changed from the older-style "First and last name" at registration to "Single-word username" system as part of display names improvements, single-username Residents could view, but couldn't post to the forums and blogs here at blogs.secondlife.com.

After much tussling, we've fixed it as shown here, so go ahead and make your voice heard! I know it was terribly frustrating from the many messages I got. Our apologies it took so long, seeing as how important it is that you can ask for help from your fellow  Residents in Second Life Answers... and I'm guessing you have a lot to say. Single-username logins also work at the Bug Tracker.

Related, single-username logins to the Second Life Wiki still don't work, meaning newer Residents can view, but can't edit the wiki help pages. We're still working on this and if it seems like we've gone strangely silent on giving updates, just ping me and I'll check with our tech experts to see what's going on. I promise.

17 Comments

Recommended Comments

What happens when you associate your facebook, linkedin, and twitter accounts with an SL account? Can you associate two SL accounts with the same facebook, linkedin, and twitter accounts?

• Lindens

@Argus There are some exciting changes underway... stay tuned...

@ChuckBaggett I've heard it discussed as a longer-term possibility, but I haven't got confirmation. I like that kind of consistency myself, though.

Re: associating accounts, more details on what you mean? I've seen that depend on the specific platform app.

@Suella INDEED! Also, in the it's-so-cliché-it's-true dept., we were all noobs once. And some people have made a lot more use of 1 month than others have with 1 year. "Oldbie" may be a marker of what events you were around to witness, but I want to know what you did as a result of it. Hence the term, "quality time".

Sounds intresting Argus PMs they are needed sometimes like you say also an mad idea that just popped in my head is  maybe a few Live Chat Rooms may work general disscusions would benifit from a chat room style format instead of what we have now alot of things get said sometimes in a heated debate that should not really be inprinted on a blog type page and emailed.  And we need to be able to close and delete our own OP posts.

@ChuckBaggett I've heard it discussed as a longer-term possibility, but I haven't got confirmation. I like that kind of consistency myself, though.

Re: associating accounts, more details on what you mean? I've seen that depend on the specific platform app.

On your my.secondlife.com profile page, when you edit your profile, you have near the bottom of the profile editing page

Connectyourprofiletoothersocialnetworks.png

I'm wondering what adding these does, and whether there's any complications resulting if you add the same facebook, linkedin, and twitter accounts to multiple SL accounts.

It just adds a little 'button' to your profile page that, when clicked, takes you to the relevant account.

Look at mine, for example, where I have linked my Twitter account: https://my.secondlife.com/suella.ember

See the little Twitter icon on the right under 'Elsewhere'.

Not sure if it would complicate matters adding those links to multiple accounts, but I assume it would work just fine

Torley that is truly good news! I might even say Awesome News! Are we going to be able to show our display name in the forums?

Oh joy, now the number one spammer can start up his anti-LL threads again.  oh wait, he has already started his crap.

No offense to you Torley, I know you actually do your best to help improve conditions for residents.  But if someone had actually had the presence of mind to actually do some testing BEFORE they implemented the single name and display name features this would have likely been caught BEFORE it became a problem for people.

But as usual the programmers at LL can't actually be bothered to test things before they push them on us.

It is against the CS and the TOS to name names. read the thread and figure it out.

Related, single-username logins to the Second Life Wiki still don't work, meaning newer Residents can view, but can't edit the  wiki help pages. We're still working on this and if it seems like we've  gone strangely silent on giving updates, just ping me and I'll check with our tech experts to see what's going on. I promise.

I was just able to log in to the wiki by entering my name as ChuckBaggett Resident and edit my user page (https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:ChuckBaggett_Resident).

• Lindens

@ChuckBaggett Ah, I haven't used the "Social Identities" web profiles thing yet — it's been cool seeing various screenshots from Residents.

And re: logging in as "username Resident" to the wiki as a workaround, there's a downside worth knowing: when we properly fix the wiki logins as intended, your wiki.secondlife.com "username" login WILL BE A DIFFERENT ACCOUNT than the "username Resident" you earlier used, and having split accounts is confusing. If you can live with that, cool, but that's why we're not broadly recommending it.