why on one laptop i can see items more clear with more detail in certain objects and effects.

M1ssConduct

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

why on one laptop i can see items more clear with more detail in certain objects and effects.  How can i make my newer laptop see the detail in effects and certain objects like my older window 8 version does?  i'll need easy remidy please.  

I would like to see a trophy the same way i see it in my other laptop on sl.  i don't know what a firestorm is.

I put both laptops beside each other how do i put on secondlife the same visual as the newer computer is so boring compared to what i can see with my older laptop.   I can see fountains working with the old one.  I can see fire in fire places, i can see mist comming off lakes and so on.  

Thank you Alwin and Thank you Lindel; I am thankful for your quick response. 

The Advanced settings particicle count in second life worked I am sooooooo estatic.

I hope someone that understands grapics cards would be able to utilize the solution. i'd try that solution too however i really don't know. 

MC

2 answers to this question

because one laptop is different than the other, that has nothing to do with age, All different brands and types give a different view

perhaps better graphic card

perhaps glossy screen

perhaps different resolution

and many other possible causes

[edit in color]

put both laptops together and take over the settings from the one to the other.Open the preferences / "me" menu and copy it from the old to the new.
There is no easier way if you can't use a back up file. 

Keep in mind you will never get exactly the same on your new laptop.

AND .... if your new laptop has less powerfull hardware taking the old settings is a bad solution! You will get lag and crashes.

Because you don't give any info about both systems this is just a wild guess....

In Firestorm you can back up your setting and copy it to the other machine, but not very likely you will get the same result.

To get a good view on laptops you need one with at least a dedicated graphic card, onboard graphics aren't well suited for running more than a youtube or office application.

It sounds as if you have Particle effects turned off in the viewer on your "boring" laptop.

• Open Me\Preferences and click the Graphics tab
  • Click the Advanced button to expand the window and see all the settings
  • On the right, look for the slider that says "Particles" and slide it to about 4000 or so
  • Click OK to save the setting and close Preferences

Or you can try a shortcut:  CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+= (the last key is the equals sign.  Press all four keys at once.)

You may also want to compare the other settings in the Graphics tab with those of the viewer on your older laptop.  Providing that your new machine has sufficiently powerful graphics, you may be able to improve the look of things by adjusting the settings.

EDITED TO ADD:  By the way, "Firestorm" is a popular alternative to the standard viewer you download from the website here.  There are many third party SL viewers.  People choose the one they like best depending on the features and menu layout, and how they perform on their computers...just like any other software.  You can download the Firestorm viewer here: http://www.firestormviewer.org/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.