why can't i rez objects and why when i try do they disapear from inventory til nxt log on?

cammy Teardrop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i use both sl viewer and phoenix firestorm for the last week i am unable to rez anything, clothes attachments, objects, when i try i get the msg can't rez object and sometimes inventory failure, when i have tried to rez object they then disapear from my inventory until i next log on

i have lowered my preferences in graphics to low as i have slow internet connection

i have uninstalled both viewers and reinstalled

i use windows 7 operating system

pc got plenty of memory just upgraded

got quad core processor

any suggestions please as it's most frustrating

:)

with the answer below then what has changed in the last week, as i have been able to create gardens for years now and it is a thing i love to do, if the answer below is correct then this means i have to pack up and quit sl???? :(

thank you to all for answering,,, i did wonder about windows update,, memory has been working fine,, will do test though,,, bandwidtth has always been under half... nvidia drivers up to date etc

i've always had slow connection,,, so quite used to it,, but do do a lot of landscaping of gardens and never had this problem before,, am also onto my supplier for faster speeds,,, but i live very rurally and just over two miles away from exchange,,, i have been on my suppliers case for 7 years,, whilst everywhere has gone up but not here,,,also only two suppliers can actually supply me a connection,,,, had new modem couple of years back,, but may push for that and try connection into phone socket,, as these too go quickly  ty again :)

7 answers to this question

cammy Teardrop wrote:

i have slow internet connection

Tadaaaaa. This is likely to be the cause of all your problems.

You will need a connection speed of at least 5Mbps (and a ping to the simulator of less than 500ms) to avoid having synchronisation issues with the simulator you're connected to. Going much less than that will cause all sorts of weirdness, bouncing around, and instructions that never complete.

Second Life relies heavily on the speed and reliability of your internet connection.

• Like 1

Connection speed on its own is only one factor; it's also dependent on the network hardware that you have connected to your telephone/cable line. If it's a sudden and recent slow-down, it could be caused by a failing Network Interface Card, or LAN interface inside your computer. (or other hardware, or traffic shaping/connection limiting by your ISP)

It could also be caused by using Wifi, a failing router, a poor ISP (that routes badly to one or both of LL's datacenters), regional/national/international Internet connectivity issues. It can even be used by downloading large files (such as torrents or games) while trying to play SL.

There's a million possibilities to test for this scenario. The best course of action is that you interrogate the way your network structure is built, and test for faults without using SL. SL typically only makes diagnosing the fault harder, due to its complex interaction with multiple destinations.

There's not much anyone here can do to diagnose your connection quality, these are all just [fairly educated] guesses.

No you don't have to pack up and quit SL, but you do probably need to poke your internet service provider up the bottom with a sharp stick.  It isn't good enough in the 21st century that they advertise super fast speeds and then that is diluted by the sheer volume of other users sharing our internet highway.

Do not give up, just see if you can squeeze your internet service provider into doing a better job.

Edited to add:

Please forgive my little outburst; obviously I do not know where you live in the world, or how likely it is that you will be able to obtain an improved internet service.  Here in the my little part of the UK, we were promised double the speed after October 2012, and I was given some b*llsh*t about how it was because I didn't have enough ram to run things. On purchasing a new computer with much more ram, the same problems occurred, and I could definitely prove the internet service provider was at fault.  It has slightly (slightly) improved with a new modem. I had been using the same modem for five years, and these things are, like everything else, subject to wear and tear. 

I wish you luck and continuing ability to access Second Life in a more fully functioning capacity.

• Like 2

Apologies if you read what I said to be an indicator that you won't be able to log in anymore. That was not what I meant.

I mean mostly that you may need some help (such as from a PC technician, a computer-savvy friend, or your ISP) in order to figure out where the issue may lie. It's often easily and/or inexpensively resolved, even if you need to replace failing hardware.

But that we, as users in SL, have very little ability to see or help what might be going wrong.

When you sometimes rez, you get a message saying "object failed to rez... " and other times you can rez, but the object seems to disappear. All suggests to me some kind of interruption, even for just a split section, between what you are instructing the servers to do, and the message relaying back to your viewer.

In the olden days of sending messages by fax, we used to have a dedicated phone line, and the slightest crackle, disturbance on the line, would cause the information to stop transmitting correctly.  Similarly I believe this is what is currently happening between your computer and the servers at SL.

You might find a massive difference just by requesting a replacement modem, but it is very likely that your internet service provider will want to run some tests.

• Like 2

to add to all the answers,

as long as you can't upgrade your internet connection,

try also to lower the bandwith settings for your viewer a bit. 
Depending on the viewer you decided to keep at the end:
> me > preferences > advanced / or network 

Normally it's best to have around 1/2 of your 'download' speed. But you could try to lower it a bit further.
Especially with a slow internet connection too high bandwith settings can lead to many lost datapackages.
And might enhance your experience a bit more.

additionally since you said it was okay before, but all sudden started to make problems:
you mentioned you upgraded your memory. so this is obviously one thing that has changed.
you could run a test to see if your new RAM hardware is running correctly:
memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/ )

(i assume you upgraded your RAM since you didn't say you bought a new computer - so it's worth a try)

Also automatic windows updates can include driver updates for graphic cards and hardware, and might have changed something  that now doesn't work flawless anymore. Check your windows update log and see what has been running and installed, in order to find the possible cause. And check the windows forums, there are often problems announced that came with a certain update pack.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.