what is wrong with traffic reporting?

Britny McMahon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I run a large club and in the last 5 days I have seen my traffic go from the mid 30's to the low 20's. I have also noticed other clubs way down as well. Has there been a change in how traffic is calculated? If so please let us know. If the is a problem please fix it. Establishments like mine rely on traffic and this is a serious problem for us.

12 answers to this question

I'm with Charolotte on this one, you possibly do need to be contacting the Support via a ticket.

I haven't heard of any changes being made to the way traffic is calculated, but just to attempt to reassure you, if other clubs as well as your own appear to have lower traffic figures, then it is very possible that the whole of the grid is also being calculated the same way and getting a lower traffic figure too; therefore the Search listings should not be affected.

For total reassurance, you do need to contact Support directly though.

And please, if you find anything out, do let us know here on the forums, provide any useful links if LL give them to you. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

AFAIK there is no change in the LL offcial document abour traffic ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Bot_policy ): "Traffic is a numerical metric calculated for every parcel of land inworld. This score can be summarized as the cumulative minutes spent on the parcel by all visitors to the parcel within the previous day (PT). For details, see Guidelines for creating search listings in the Knowledge Base."

And a personal opinion: for me it's more important to care the Search engine that worry about traffic (see http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Guidelines-for-creating-search-listings/ta-p/803947 . Only my opinion of course :)

• Like 2

This is a MAGNUM Server issue. All high traffic areas on the Magnum grid are experiening this. Live chat with Biaca Linden and Izzy Linden on concierge confirms that it is INDEED a Magnum server issue.

Other Magnum issues are rolling restarts that put the region own for over an hour. LL Confirms this via Live chat. For all on the magnum server experiencing this, contact LL and tell them. It's NOT grid wide. It's server wide.

You "rely on traffic"...i.e., actual bodies in the sim?  Or you rely on traffic statistics?  As long as the actual numbers of people showing up hasn't changed, I'm not sure I see where a change in how the traffic score is calculated will affect you.

Frankly, I tend NOT to visit the places with the highest traffic scores.  They tend to be laggy, and the build quality and merchandise/entertainment on offer is often mediocre.  I am not saying YOUR place is like that...but that perception of high traffic areas does influence my choice of destinations.

Hi all! Same traffic problem for me too. Of course everyone wants to display good figures in his/her places. In my case, it's not a question of money. My main place isn't a shop (nor a traditional club). I'm just happy to share my paradise ("Meghan's Paradise") with people who might enjoy it. I also own a secondary land ("Meghan's Delights") in an adjacent parcel of the region. Now the problem.

For three years the place was created, I note the traffic everyday (I'm stupid but I want to know). Usually from 1000 to 3000 (I know, modest but not ridiculous to me). I must admit my place is often empty, rarely laggy. Since 7/12/2012, terrific collapse: now from 100 to 300. Yes, "official" traffic divided by 10!! Maybe you could think residents don't like the place anymore but... my hippoSECURE (mailing me its report everyday, too) tells me people come as always. The question is: was my place overestimated during 3 years??

And of course in Search, when using the right keyword, the place went down from 1st to 2nd page (for now...). Same problem with my other land. It thought the issue is located in this region (Claris Beck). Strange traffic all over the parcels, but after reading your posts I'm no really sure. I sent a ticket to LL. They said they are "working hard" on the issue. It seems the more they work, the less the results look good...

Of course (real) earth continues to spin but I'd like to know.

Hi all! Same traffic problem for me too. Of course everyone wants to display good figures in his/her places. In my case, it's not a question of money. My main place isn't a shop (nor a traditional club). I'm just happy to share my paradise ("Meghan's Paradise") with people who might enjoy it. I also own a secondary land ("Meghan's Delights") in an adjacent parcel of the region. Now the problem.

For three years the place was created, I note the traffic everyday (I'm stupid but I want to know). Usually from 1000 to 3000 (I know, modest but not ridiculous to me). I must admit my place is often empty, rarely laggy. Since 7/12/2012, terrific collapse: now from 100 to 300. Yes, "official" traffic divided by 10!! Maybe you could think residents don't like the place anymore but... my hippoSECURE (mailing me its report everyday, too) tells me people come as always. The question is: was my place overestimated during 3 years??

And of course in Search, when using the right keyword, the place went down from 1st to 2nd page (for now...). Same problem with my other land. It thought the issue is located in this region (Claris Beck). Strange traffic all over the parcels, but after reading your posts I'm no really sure. I sent a ticket to LL. They said they are "working hard" on the issue. It seems the more they work, the less the results look good...

Of course (real) earth continues to spin but I'd like to know.

Same issue here,, and even after the RC updates this week, no improvement.

My place went from over 20,000 traffic to a high now of under 400. This is with an average of 12-15 people on the parcel 24/7> As I'm not listed in search, for me it's not that big of a deal, but for people who rely in the traffic to make themselves noticeable in search this is a major issue.

I noticed this for the first time today and did see my traffic so far today reduced since I no longer move higher in the SEARCH results. It is an endless spiral since lower position means less traffic which means lower traffic scores and so on. While granted, when I do a search, I tend to select the places higher up the list but not necessarily the top each time, I seldom scroll thru several pages to located the place with the least traffic levels. My club maintains a certain level of traffic which are regulars, but also benefits from new customers gained from SEARCH clicks, aside from the fact I pay $30L each week to BE in the search results.

It appears the traffic calculation problem may be connected to the new Pathfinding tool that had been rolled out to certain servers until this week, when it was rolled out gridwide. My sim had been experiencing a roughly 25% drop in calculated traffic throughout most of this glitch (starting approx July 12). With this week's rollout it is now down by about 70%, and getting worse each day. As expected, any useful information from LL is not forthcoming.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.