video card driver error message

infinitemystic7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i keep getting a video card  driver error message "second life wasnt eble to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or or are unsupported hardware. please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you have the latest, try reinstalling them. if you continue to get this message, contact secod life support portal" i was able to get on before now i get this and i dont know if i got the latest i assume i do since it worked before now and i dunno how to reinstall my drivers pleasae help me what do i do

2 answers to this question

The first thing you need to know is what your video card/adapter is.  You can find that in your Device Manager (for Windows systems).  You can find your device manager by going to your control panel clicking on "System and Security" and under the "System" icon you'll see "Device Manager".........click it to open.  You'll see a list of all the hardware devices your computer has.  Expand the "Display Adapter" by clicking the little arrow.  That will show you your video card/adapter.  Double click it and it will bring up another box.  The first tab wil tell you what your video card/adapter is and the manufacturer.  The second tab ("Driver") will tell you the driver provider, the date of the driver release, and the version number.  Write that down.

Next you need to go to your manufacturers driver download site and search for the current driver for your adapter/card.

nVidia   http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

ATI/AMD   http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I would recommend that, even if you have an nVidia card, that you look at ATI"s driver help videos if you've never updated your video driver before.  The update process is the same for either manufacturer and should be followed to the letter to avoid annoying little problems with corrupted drivers.  If you use a laptop, you will most likely have to get your driver from you computer manufacturer and not the card/adapter manufacturer because those video devices almost always have specialized, custom drivers.

It sounds complicated when it's all typed out.........but it isn't.  Just take your time and do it correctly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.