unable to connect to simulator

Katiie Lionheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been trying to get into SL so two days now and getting the same message. Unable to connect to simulator. I have tried viewer 2and phoenix and same thing each time. I can log into secondlife_beta but I don't have group... friends... and I can't tp anywhere. I need help this is frustrating. I have tried on another computer as well and same message and I have gone as far as uninstalling sl and installing it again and same problem... someone please help me.

Perhaps this artyicle of the KB: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_DNS_login_issues

If you can't login to Second Life because you see the following error:

Unable to connect to Second Life.
DNS could not resolve the host name.
Please verify that you can connect to www.secondlife.com
web site. If you can, but continue to receive this error,
please go to the support section and and report this problem.

Or:

Login failed.
Unable to connect to a simulator.

The Domain Name System connects machines across the Internet by translating numerical addresses into human-readable ones. If DNS can't be resolved as described above, it's somewhat like dialing a forwarding phone number that recently existed but the phones were disconnected — perhaps at the other end, or something in between happened.

Since there are several possible reasons why this might happen and if waiting and retrying periodically hasn't worked, try the following steps to deal with the problem.

Check Grid Status Reports

On rare occasion, this is a problem that affects Second Life broadly. It eventually resolves after we fix it.

Restart your computer and Internet equipment

Yes, it's such a general step. But it may work. Fully unplug your cable modem, router, and other gear you use to access the Internet for several minutes so that residual memory is cleared. This may purge "stale" settings.

Use a DNS service

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**s://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wiki.secondlife.com/images/thumb/4/49/KBwarning.png/32px-KBwarning.png" border="0" width="32" height="27" /> Warning: We can't guarantee the quality of these, they're provided solely for informational purposes.

Companies like OpenDNS and DNS Advantage claim to provide more robust DNS resolution.

Contact your ISP

A problem at your Internet Service Provider's routing servers may block your access to specific places like Second Life. Check if they have any known issues.

Flush your DNS cache manually

See "Easy Ways to Flush DNS Cache in Mac, Windows, and Linux" if you feel technically comfortable.

Hi Katiie,

The message you are getting can sometimes be related to something as weird as having unusual characters in your group tag. Do you know what group tag you`re wearing?

If logging in to a different location doesn`t work &  you have an alt, see if that one can logiin, to rule out being anything to do with your computer. (you could create a noob just a test if you don`t already have one).

If you are premium I would have a word with LiveChat as its been going on for 2 days.

I have tried with a different avi and I can sign on just fine. I have also tried to change my log in position multiple times but everywhere i change I get the same message. When I logged onto secondlife_beta I switched my tag to none... so I dont think that is is either...

I have tried with a different avi and I can sign on just fine. I have also tried to change my log in position multiple times but everywhere i change I get the same message. When I logged onto secondlife_beta I switched my tag to none... so I dont think that is is either...

the thing is I can log into my husbands account from the same computer and it lets me in just fine so I know its something with my account. I just dont know what it is. I have tried logging into different locations and also I have tried changing my group tag when I was logged into secondlife_beta. It still doesnt let me in,

Katiie Lionheart wrote:

So it is something related specifically to your main avvie, try stripping down to a totally basic avatar, either by wearing one of the noob avvies from your library or by doing a character test:

Advanced Menu >>Character>>Character Tests >> Test Male (or Female)
or
Developers Menu (ctrl alt Q)>>Avatar>>Character Tests>>Test Male (or Female)

Do this on the beta grid and then try logging onto the main grid before putting yourself back together again.

I tried this just now and it still gives me the same message. I tested female.. obviously went back to being a noobie little girl and then logged out and tried to log back in on the main grid and still got the same message. this is incredibly frustrating as I have even sent in a case to linden and they have yet to return anything to me as to what this problem might be. =/

That is most strange for sure, I would definately conatct LiveChat if you are premium and at least you have already tested all the things that they might suggest so they can`t fob you off with a standard answer.

The only thing I can think is that changes on the beta grid aren`t coming with you to the login on the main grid, like removing your tag for example, but there is no way to know that until you can actually get in here and see if its still there. The couple of old cases that I found in the archives, both said that LL fixed them and then they got in & both times it was characters in group tags.

See the whole thing is ... I am not a premium member so I can't do the live chat thing, I wish I could because I think that every secondlife player should be valued and when something like this affects someones account I would think that linden labs would take it upon themselves to at least try and help. I have gotten most of my suggestions for help from people like you which is greatly appreciated, and I thank you all for taking the time to try and help me, its just this will be my third day of not hearing anything from someone who could actually fix this problem. I just need an email or something of that sort to know that someone is actually looking into it. And yes I have seen the old cases of this as well where LL fixed them but if I can't get through to any LL personal then I don't know how this issue is to be resolved.

It's difficult reading these threads with answers and comments all over the place but having done so on this one, I think there is a good chance this problem is related to an invalid character in a group tag. That message about being unable to connect to a simulator is in repsonse to a number of issues and an invalid character in a group tag is one of them. I've come across this on at least three occasions in the past year or so. It's rare but possible.

If this is the problem and it is only an if, Linden Lab will have to sort this, remove you from the group whose tag you're wearing and delete the tag from your avatar so you can log in but as you've discovered, help on this issue is not available to Basic members. I would suggest you upgrade to Premium on a monthly basis and soon as it is sorted, downgrade again. Once you've upgraded, contact LIve Chat immediately and ask for assistance. Explain exactly what you believe the problem to be. Some Live Chat personnel may not be aware of this issue regarding invalid group tag characters as has happened in the past so perist if necessary until the Help person contacts a Linden to have it dealt with. Hopefully, you can now get away with just paying one month's premium fees of $10.

jira: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6608?  You won't be able to access VWR-23695 mentioned in that jira.

• Like 1

I agree that the support situation for basic members being so limited can be extrememly frustrating, aside from encouraging people to become premium I assume that the theory behind it is that why should they pay support staff to help people that aren`t paying to use the service when they have such backlogs of tickets...Though some basic members actually pay a lot of money buying Lindens.

Its a shame that changing or removing your tag in Beta grid didn`t work, its left you with very few options, wait for your ticket & play with an alt in the meantime, become premium (even just for a month) as Nyll suggested or try calling / faxing LL on Phone (415) 243-9000 Fax (415) 243-9045 , obviously if you are the other side of the world a phonecall could cost more than a months membership.

well i am having the same issue above, done the dns thing, rebooted everything, deleted the folders, tried logging into the beta grid that gave me the same error message. submitted a ticket to check the account to see if it is not locked. i am grasping at straws here and will have meeroo's starving if i do not get m=back in on my main account. now here is the kicker i get the unable to connect to simulator on 2 differnt net connections. no doubt in my mind it is the sever. yet all my alts log in fine. any suggestions?

No answer, just adding myself to the growing "can't connect to simulator" support group.  Linden won't address my issue because I am not a premium customer.    I tried whiping all SL viewers and programs folders from my machine.  That did not work even by installing other viewers.  I get the same message on other machines and yes, other avatars can sign on just fine on my computer.  This is not a computer or viewer issue issue!  It is some kind of bug or something that Linden Labs needs to address because it is coming from their end, no doubt. 

side note:  Just because I am not a premium customer does not mean I don't pump in way more $$ than I should into this game.  Their refusal to help me is bad business!

@RaptNamour:

Try the solutions above relating to invalid group tag characters and a complete uninstall including removal of the second Life folders in AppData. If they don't work, then you probably need help from Linden Lab and, as you've discovered, you require Premium membership for that. Although Linden Lab do offer help to Basic members on some issues, you shouldn't expect the same level of support as those who do pay Premium fees. Saying you spend L$ inworld is really irrelevant. You're paying those to other residents not to Linden Lab.

@aine222

You should post a question yourself here http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Answers/qac-p/Answers . Just left click in the box where it says Type your question here, press Enter and then click the green box Post your question, fill in exactly what's happening when you try to log in and give details of your computer specifications.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.