still do not understand complexity, arc etc. i do not care about lag. i just want my avi seen

GabrielleVanDerMalle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i still do not understand complexity etc.  if having people see  as a jellydoll, creates  less lag. then why bother have a pretty avi.  i haven't seen any jellydolls in weeks. and i can go to the same place in the same outfit, and sometimes get the message that i am not fully rendered and sometimes do not get that message.    weird  

3 answers to this question

GabrielleVanDerMalle wrote:

i still do not understand complexity etc.  if having people see  as a jellydoll, creates  less lag. then why bother have a pretty avi.  i haven't seen any jellydolls in weeks. and i can go to the same place in the same outfit, and sometimes get the message that i am not fully rendered and sometimes do not get that message.    weird  

Whether or not you're seen is governed by the settings of other people's viewers and you have no control over their settings. You never did. It's very possible some people had you de-rendered all along and you never realized it.

All that message is telling you is that someone that has you within their draw distance (I keep mine at 120 but some have it maxed out) has their rendering weight set lower than what your rendering cost is. You could see no one around you because the person could be 1024 meters away but you're still with in their draw distance.

I just ignore it. It doesn't affect your experience. Some people have older graphics cards or are wireless and can't render above a certain complexity. It's just another metric for those that have older graphics or lower end laptops or those that use wireless so they can still have a decent SL experience.

Whether you get the message that you are not being fully rendered depends on two things

• The ARC of your avatar
  • The ARC limits of those around you

You control your own ARC by the way you dress your avatar, and the viewer reports that value. The ARC limits of those around you are determined by those people. You can set your own ARC limit, but that only affects what you see, not how others see you.

You cannot control other people's  ARC limits. When your viewer says that you are not being fully rendered, that means that someone in your area has their ARC limit set below the complexity of your avatar, and is seeing you as a jelly doll. You do not know which person that is, nor do you know what their ARC limit is, other than that it's lower than your current ARC.

Rendering an avatar as a jelly doll reduces lag for that viewer. If you see a jelly doll, your viewer is doing so to reduce your lag. If someone else sees you as a jelly doll, their viewer is doing so to reduce their lag.

You sometimes get the message and sometimes not because you sometimes exceed someone else's ARC limit and sometimes not. This will appear random because, as you wander SL, you will encounter people... at random.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.