"Error opening file for writing" when installing basic SL viewer

Zartacus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I prefer the basic SL viewer.  Everything was running fantstic no issues at all until I got an update of somekind. I clicked OK to install the update, now the basic SL viewer wont load at all on my computer.  I had issues over and over so I uninstalled (thinking there may have been an issue during update)... then I reinstalled.  It loads almost all the way while reinstalling but stops at the end with this: 

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\llplugin\qtwebkit4.dll

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignroe to skip this file.

I've never had issues with SL before.  Anyone having similar issues?  Any help?  I'd love to get back on the basic viewer.

4 answers to this question

Whenever you install or re-install a viewer, be very sure to do a clean install.  That involves removing all traces of the previous installation first, inclufding not only the viewer program itself but all user settings and preference files and caches.  If you don't do that, you can inherit damaged files or ones that are badly matched to the new version.  See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

• Like 3

Zar,

There are a couple of other reasons for this message.

1) Is the application is still in memory and unavailable for update.

2) You are having very severe Disk Drive issues.

Start the clean install process 1st by restarting your PC then wiping out the old installation directories per the instruction given to you earlier.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.