no I keep getting disconnected every 2-5 minutes without fail

kaoimhe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok so IM on a brand new laptop only two days old and a brand new router I got the same day as the laptop, using the firestorm viewer graphics are set to low http textures are disabled i've set my bandwidth to 5000 and i'vee cleared my cache, turned my firewall of completely and still when I log on IM on for approx. 2-5 minutes before it disconnects me saying the region may experiencing and I should check my connection to the internet. I know my internet is completely fine due to having just got a new router and not having actually disconnected from the internet once since setting it up not to mention the new laptop.

So basically my question is how do I get online and be able to stay online for more then five minutes?

I would appreciate timely answers, its frustrating me to no end.

EDIT: Sorry that seems to have just made it worst mate. now im getting a message sayiing : "we're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the second life grid." and i know that the grid is fine and my connection is solid

so whereas i i was getting two to five minutes online before i dced now i cant even log on and i tried the wireless button on the router after unplugging and replugging it (laptop dosent have one on it)

I cant log in atall Rolig after trying the suggestiona bout the router. so how do i log into a different area?

5 answers to this question

The servers in SL have been touchier than usual lately, so the crashing may not be entirely your fault. Still, that's probably the best bet.  Try logging in to a different sim, especially one that is virtually lag-free, like Pooley or Smith.  See if you still crash there. If so, it's probably not SL's servers giving you trouble.  So then, open your statistics bar (CTRL+Shift+1). Particularly if you are seeing packet loss more than 0.5% or so, the problem is probably on your end, possibly your router, as already suggested. If you're on wireless, switch to a direct cable connection instead, because wireless is more prone to instability. Consider also the possibility that it may be your ISP messing with their servers.  Mine did that last week. 

Hello kaoimhe and welcome to SL Forums. For me your maximum bandwidth is the cause of your disconnections. Maximum bandwidth means the maximum rate that the viewer can download content and the default is 500 kpbs. This connection speed is needed to run Second Life adequately. If you increase it so much (5000) can cause problems. Your computer has to do something with the new data as it comes in. If it is too busy, it can miss data packets, which then get re-sent. This makes the problem worse. The "Statistics Bar" shows packet loss as a percentage. If it anything above 0% on a steady basis,  try lowering the value to reduce packet loss under your Preferences and Network tab. On the other hand, only if you have a very fast connection and can handle it, you can increase the bandwidth to download data faster. So play with this setting to find what is better for your system.

Continuous disconnects from the servers is almost always a local network problem (the exception would be either an Internet problem between you and the LL servers or LL's connentions).  If it's an Internet problem you'll probably just have to wait for it to be fixed........but reporting it to your ISP maybe speed up that since your ISP can notifiy the people responsible for the Internet  and, if it's a problem between you and your ISP then they can fix that for you (but without knowing there's a problem they won't fix it).  If it's LL connections to the Internet, it's pretty quickly found out because there will be a sudden rash of disconnects and consequently a sudden rash of complaints.  The only other part of the network is your part........your home (or business, or school, or wifi hotspot) network.  You said you purchased a router at the same time you purchased your new computer.  Logic says that it's new so it must be fine............that is true most of the time but not always.  Some routers require opening specific ports to work with connections such as SL and that is something you have to do yourself (however most routers default settings work fine with SL.........but it's something you need to check).  Of course you expect something to work if it's brand new..........but sometimes they don't so it's always a possibility that you were unlucky and got a router that is not working as it should (for those, there's a warrantee and you should look into using it). 

There are two other things you mentioned (or didn't mention).  One is you failed to say how you connect to that router (at least I didn't see it).  If you are connecting wirelessly it's very possible that that is the source of your problems.  Wireless connections are easy........just plug connect using the wizard.  But wireless connections for programs like SL with it's heavy exchange of data is not the best method.......too many potential sources of interference or dead spots in your wireless coverage.  A cordless phone (even your neighbor's phone two doors away) could be the problem,  Someone piggybacking on your connection (you can prevent that by locking your router down......look in your manual for how to do that).  That nice wireless weather station you got for Christmas.  Your alarm system for your home, the remote for you TV, or cable box.  Almost anything that is wireless can interfer with the signal to and from the router.  That's why people say to use a hard wire connection if you are using SL (Ethernet cable or Cat 5e). 

The other thing is that statement about setting your bandwidth in preferences to 5000 kbps.  First of all I don't believe you'll ever get more than about 1500 kbps from the LL servers (even on a good day).  That aside, setting what you desire the servers to send you to high is a very good way to introduce packet loss.  Packet loss will disconnect you pretty quickly or even prevent you from connecting at all.  Viewer will let you set it as high as you wish.  But your computer and it's connection and network will tell you what your really should set it to............and 5000 kbps (5 mbps) is pretty high.  It's better to set it too low than too high.  I would lower it to about 500 kbps and if it works then raise the bandwidth about 100 k untill you start getting packet loss.  Once you find that point, lower it to about 10% below that level.  I think you'll find between 500 and 1500 is best.  It won't improve performance at all if you have any packet loss at all (evne 1%) and will actually make things slower since the servers are going to have to send the information twice if it's lost on the way or your computer can't keep up with the input.

And, of course, rebooting the router might siill be something you need to do if you've swamped it with all that data with the settings you've specified in preferences.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.